Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Temp Car Insurance for Mexico Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 08, 18 9:17 am    Temp Car Insurance for Mexico Trip Reply with quote

Heading down to Baja sat and might be driving a friends car while i am down there.

Is there such a thing as getting temp auto insurance, for a week, for the vehicle i might drive?

Thanks for any info.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 08, 18 9:21 am    Re: Temp Car Insurance for Mexico Trip Reply with quote

Yes, Of course. Your north of the border insurance is no good in Mexico. Here's where I found good prices. Just set your dates, and you're done:
https://mexicaninsurancestore.com/

Edit: But.... It is your friend who needs to acquire insurance. On the forms, it will ask if anyone other than the owner is planning to drive. Get it. I crashed 5 years ago in Mexico. They have "Napoleanic" law down there which mean essentially everyone is guilty until you bring out your wallet. When the insurance adjuster arrives (in usually under 45 minutes) you are immediately off the hook and free to leave. This happened even when my wreck was my fault. Money talks.

skideeppow wrote:
Heading down to Baja sat and might be driving a friends car while i am down there.

Is there such a thing as getting temp auto insurance, for a week, for the vehicle i might drive?

Thanks for any info.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 08, 18 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Kip please be more specific.
When you mention money are you talking about the money you paid for insurance or a bribe you paid to police and/or the insurance adjuster?
How much $$ did you pay?

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostThu Nov 08, 18 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

Lewis n Lewis

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 08, 18 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

I've used bajabound. https://www.bajabound.com/

It's easy to fill out online and bam you have an insurance policy you can print out.

Luckily I have never found out how well it works as I haven't experienced an accident...

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 08, 18 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

There are some additional potential gotchas.

I'm not sure if you can cross the boarder if you have a vehicle loan. Seems to me this question came up when I was filling out the forms for insurance.

Also per https://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/border-crossing.php you must have the vehicle registration along with a matching credit card.

I have heard of people driving vehicles they don't own, but I'm not sure of the process.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Nov 09, 18 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Lewis and Lewis has been great. They have 30, 90, 180 days up to a year policies. I had one claim, it took awhile but I got reimbursed.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 09, 18 8:53 am     Reply with quote

I've almost never paid a "bribe" in 30 years of living in Mexico. What I'm trying to explain in that in the US and Canada, all involved in a incident are innocent until proven guilty. Whereas in Mexico all parties a held as guilty until the facts become clear and the innocent can go free. What this means at the scene is that you must show your ability to pay for damages even if it's clearly obvious you're not at fault. This can and does mean a trip downtown to a cell holding if you are broke and no insurance.
With my rush-hour crash in downtown Guadalajara I was held by the police for 2+ hours at the crash. During those 2 hours there were many conversations on how I was going to spend a night in jail, and how my car would never be released. This was before any notion of who caused the wreck. Then.... When my insurance adjuster finally showed up, He pulled me aside and in perfect English, he and I drew out on a whiteboard of what occurred (and we changed some realities). He then went into the crown of 6 waiting police and completely cleared my responsibility. I was back on the road in 10 minutes. My understanding about this is that the insurance guy basically states "OK, This driver has $300K liability coverage so we'll let him go home and you all can call me later"
I never heard one word from the Guadalajara police ever after that night. Insurance is a MUST in Mexico.
The cost of insurance in Mexico is similar to the cost of my USAA policy here. And I normally cancel my US policy the day I cross into Mexico.... so the cost of coverage is almost a wash. This works for my 5-6 month stay but probably canceling the US policy won't work for 3-week visits.

Kip

ldhr wrote:
Kip please be more specific.
When you mention money are you talking about the money you paid for insurance or a bribe you paid to police and/or the insurance adjuster?
How much $$ did you pay?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Nov 10, 18 7:38 am    vis-vis Reply with quote

vis-vis insurance Is what we bought.
general insurance is in mx. and usa, when we used to travel a lot in mx.

you have to have bathroom in you rv to qualify

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: