Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gear Karma- A Story of Human Decency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
johnnyp

Since 20 Sep 2018
23 Posts

PostSat Oct 20, 18 11:23 am    Gear Karma- A Story of Human Decency Reply with quote

Hi all-

Just wanted to throw out this little tale that illustrates why I love the kiting community in the northwest, and encourage everyone to keep being upstanding, because it makes a difference.

I lost a board like 3 weeks ago at viento and assumed I'd never see it again. A fellow kiter (shouts out to Mark Barnes) found the board, contacted me using the number written on the bottom AND posted about it on the lost and found page, and I picked it up a few days later.

To me, this is what makes kiters special. We know how important gear is and how much it sucks to lose stuff (in this case, the board in question I learned to ride on and really loved so it had sentimental value as well as monitary). Instead of keeping the gear for himself (no one would have ever found out), Mark chose to return it and didn't even ask for anything in return. I brought him beers and a cash reward as a thank you, but he did what he did simply out of the spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood that we've built in this sport.

So let me ask and encourage: don't let that spirit erode. Help each other when people have kitemares (I have amazing stories of hero strangers saving my bacon when I was
a newbie). Return gear when you find it and reward those who do so for you. Show respect for fisherman, windsurfers, and other people using the river. Just be a neighbor, and this sport will continue to be great.

Thanks again, Mark. Classy move.

-Johnny

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Oct 20, 18 12:46 pm    Sharpie that sh*t!!! Reply with quote

Nice job on the post and getting Mark beers.

I hope while you were purchasing the beers for Mark and getting him some cash from the ATM, you also purchased a sharpie pen.

Get your name and # on all your stuff aka SHARPIE THAT SH*T.

johnnyp

Since 20 Sep 2018
23 Posts

PostSat Oct 20, 18 1:42 pm    Sharpie that sh*t = lyfe Reply with quote

Yep! I had my number on there, that's how he found me Smile

Best thing you can do the moment you get a new piece of gear!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 22, 18 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Mark's good deed is even better when you know the full circumstances. I had tangled my kite in the Milfoil and we walked down from Viento to retrieve it. The board in question was maybe 30 yards from where I went down the embankment. That embankment was nasty!!! Very loose boulders and scree, very steep. To be honest, I considered leaving my kite to avoid climbing up and down. I'd been up it once getting out of the water; I really didn't want to do it again. Considering the crappy footwear Mark had on and the conditions, it was pretty damn hazardous. I asked Mark if he really wanted to risk the climb for someone else's board. His reply? "I know I'd appreciate it if someone else saw my board down there."
Last edited by Nak on Thu Nov 01, 18 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

johnnyp

Since 20 Sep 2018
23 Posts

PostMon Oct 22, 18 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

Well I appreciate it even more now! Thanks for sharing!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 23, 18 5:09 am     Reply with quote

Mark knows the basic abstraction of kiteboarding: There will be days when you are having the best session of your life... Necker Island, Babe on piggyback.... your kite will fall and the barge is coming.
He's my hero.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Oct 23, 18 8:17 am     Reply with quote

sure he didnt steal it out of your truck Laughing

Good Work Mark!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Oct 30, 18 9:22 am     Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all the love... Really didn't do anymore than any other longtime kiter would do. That's what makes kiting in the Gorge special. Johnny it was nice meeting you and look forward to seeing you on the water.

Karma is a good thing.

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: