Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best fix for stripped foot strap inserts (screw type)??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
underwood

Since 26 May 2018
21 Posts

PostSun Sep 16, 18 6:21 am    Best fix for stripped foot strap inserts (screw type)?? Reply with quote

The foot-strap inserts in my Slingshot board have stripped and no longer hold.

The inserts are some type of nylon or plastic embedded into the board which accepts a coarse thread wood screw.

Any suggestions on how to repair so that screw will hold?

Thanks

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 16, 18 7:25 am     Reply with quote

One size bigger screw?

underwood

Since 26 May 2018
21 Posts

PostSun Sep 16, 18 8:29 am     Reply with quote

[quote]One size bigger screw?[/quote]

Did that and worked for a while. Not knowing how big the embedded insert is I am worried about going any larger.

chavannes

Since 14 Oct 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostSun Sep 16, 18 8:41 am     Reply with quote

You can usually only tap it another size up or so.

Depending on how much you love the board, you could drill through the bottom and put a "T" bolt stlye in. Epoxy>sand> done.

I'm sure you have already considered just using a narrow or wide stance as well.

IMG_1865.JPG 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Sep 16, 18 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I used a set of these on a surfboard where the back foot inserts were not placed far enough to the back of the board for my liking. Been several years since sticking them on and they are still holding strong.

https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=236&idcategory=117

It is an easy fix and allows you to place your foot straps where ever you want them.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 16, 18 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I was hoping for a fix that does not require removing the deck pad (continuous pad covers the insert area) or worse.

Anyone have any luck with filling the holes with epoxy, p-tex, ??? and then re-drilling?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 16, 18 10:38 am     Reply with quote

I used heli-coils recently on a stripped surfboard insert. You drill out the hole with the suggested size drill bit then tap the hole and use an insert device they provide to insert the heli-coil. Pretty nice solution and did not require removing my deck pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-6-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B0002KKPXK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1537122933&sr=8-6&keywords=heli+coil

I used this size for the M6 screws Slingshot uses. The threads on the slighshot screws are more coarse but still seemed to hold fine. I don't know how well it will hold up to repeated removal and replacement of pads - might be worth finding a better matching screw in that case.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 16, 18 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

[quote/]I used heli-coils recently on a stripped surfboard insert. You drill out the hole with the suggested size drill bit then tap the hole and use an insert device they provide to insert the heli-coil. Pretty nice solution and did not require removing my deck pad[/quote]

Great to hear that heli coil works with the plastic insert material an Slingshot screw.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 27, 18 6:53 am     Reply with quote

did you get this resolved? I've got a couple of suggestions that could help but not sure the board or how bad it is. send a pic if you still need a solution.
stringy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: