Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wetsuits/shorties on the Oregon Coast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nwwaves

PostSat Jul 23, 05 9:36 am    Wetsuits/shorties on the Oregon Coast. Reply with quote

No matter how cool the Gorge'ous people try to be they are not making a good decision to ride in shorties. No offense guys but that is a really bad idea.
I have personally been overtaken by hypothermia in these waters.
Kite goes down, wave hunts and rips it in half, you let go of your kite, and you are floating in the cold soup.

You have 20 minutes before your muscles start to malfunction.
Air temps don't mean anything.

The water HAS been warm this year but a 4/3 mm suit is necessary.
In a 4/3 we are sweating hot and it feels great to fall into the water.

The last thing we need at our HOME here on the beach is someone dying of hypo because they wanted to show off their tan.

A 6mm shorty is a definite possibility. Or a shorty drysuit...?
But I dont know of anyone who makes such a thing?

We would appreciate it if people would not risk their lives in our backyard and potentially give our sport a bad rap here.

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostSat Jul 23, 05 11:08 am    Re: Wetsuits/shorties on the Oregon Coast. Reply with quote

nwwaves wrote:
The water HAS been warm this year but a 4/3 mm suit is necessary.

I surfed last Saturday in a 5/3 with no hood, gloves or booties and froze my feet off. Okay, my feet got very cold. Unless the water warmed back up, looks like the temps are more back to normal.

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 23, 05 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

NW Waves, just to clarify, I only kited in the very safe, narrow rivermouth last weekend in the shorty at SeaSide. I think I would have suffocated with my 5/4 suit in the 90 degree heat.

Also, to give the guys credit, they did switch to full suits for the downwinders in the surf from S Jetty to Shipwreck.

Hope to see everyone at the coast on Sunday. Smile

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Jul 23, 05 7:43 pm    Shorties Reply with quote

Some friends of mine witnessed a shark attack when a boogie boarder was kicking wildly to stay warm at Pacific City. It required 70 stitches to close and was thought to be a bull shark. Another reason to stay warm. I also surfed the point about a month ago and a guy with no booties paddled out. I saw him take off about an hour later and his feet had turned into stumps and he fell right on his face.

"Show Rick James your titties. I wish I had more hands, so I could give those titties 4 thumbs down. I'm Rick James bitches."

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 23, 05 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Scriffler, Jack Off to these frozen titties ya ugly Dawg! Laughing

Having said that, You guys make a valid point about dressing properly for the changing coastal water temps. My new rule is: if your going out past the breakers where a full suit. If your way inside piss'n off Fo Kiten or deep in the river mouth no clothes is best!

See ya at the N. Coast in the AM dog face. Cool

Arrow http://community.webshots.com/album/117401374SHRnLR/1

Some like it cold...
 Some like it cold...  117413674lTtXHB_ph.jpg 
This is gona feel nice!  Hey Scriffy, come wrap me in black rubber!
 This is gona feel nice! Hey Scriffy, come wrap me in black rubber!  117413621FMSTTV_ph.jpg 

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat Jul 23, 05 11:10 pm     Reply with quote

I wore my 2ml under my drysuit along with booties and gloves today. Glad I did cause it got pretty cold in the soup. Sunset to Seaside, was a bit underpowered on the 13's and was dodging breakers more than hopping them but still fun.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jul 24, 05 6:36 am     Reply with quote

The difference between the water temps this weekend and last weekend was night and day... I'd say 10 degree difference easy. North winds make that water coooollldddd!

Last weekend on the downwinder I was baking in my 4/3 steamer, but this weekend it was just about right. Thumb's Up

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Jul 24, 05 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostSun Jul 24, 05 7:57 pm    Hein's on-da-mark Reply with quote

...Once again, Hein says a lot without saying a word. Here's the man speaking volumes at Rufus on Saturday:

Mvc-004s.jpg 

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 05 10:56 am     Reply with quote

I've gotten hypothermic before from under dressing for the 95 degree air/55 degree water dilemma. It is amazing how fast it comes up on you. All's well and then bam! you're shivering out of control and losing moter skills.

Don't want to be a nag, and adults can make their own decisions. Just FYI, don't be over-macho recovering your board if you're a tad underdressed.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 05 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

ditto to pjc's comment. if you over heat you can always pull your neck open and flush your suit. break down on the outside, get worked by a couple of big sets and things can get really nasty fast - i've pulled under dressed and very cold and frightened swimmers and surfers out of the sea a few times and they were always really suprised how fast things went wrong. with all this good north wind sea will probably keep getting colder.

kazi

Since 02 May 2005
19 Posts

PostTue Jul 26, 05 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

If you get cold...just pee in your wetsuit Thumb's Up

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 05 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

kazi wrote:
If you get cold...just pee in your wetsuit Thumb's Up

keeps my skin young and beautiful Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: