Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Enough is Enough!!!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 28, 18 6:10 am    Enough is Enough!!!!! Reply with quote

Well all summer I've been considering getting back into forecasting wind for the Gorge because of the horrible misleading and inaccurate forecasts of pretty much every wind guru.Too much confusion. The forecast is very important to us wind junkies as we plan our day. As of THIS MORNING you are no longer captive to the PAY FOR services you've been getting ripped off by.The NWS now has put ALL of I windsurf's sensors on line on the Interactive Observations page, YES IT'S FREE NOW! You no longer have to either miss good conditions or go out in bad ones because of forecasters that don't verify their forecasts and observations, because THEY DON"T CARE, they already have your attention and money. I never see any of them out on the water with me, or going to beaches and parking lots just to see if the meters really are what's happening on the water, so they'll know better next forecast. People who judge the conditions by the numbers on the phone don't get it. LOOK AT THE WATER, CHECK THE WEBCAMS!
Now that ALL the observations are free, the only thing you'll be paying for are the sometimes misleading and inaccurate forecasts.
I would consider getting back into forecasting,(for the Gorge and Coast only) If those of you who pay for it now would send that money to me! I have to make my 37 years of wind experience pay,( I've spent alot of money on gas and missed alot of paying work to gain this knowledge) or I'm not going to do it.
Just throwing that out there!
But in the meantime go get all the the information you need, to find the wind you like, at the beach you want FOR FREE. Your welcome, I care. INFLICTOR

Nevo

PostTue Aug 28, 18 6:19 am     Reply with quote

Mind sharing a link to this interactive observations page?

NWS forecast for Manzanita says 5-9mph today while ikite says near 20's.

That's a pretty big difference...

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 28, 18 6:27 am     Reply with quote

that's my point, read the post again NWS PORTLAND DUDE

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 28, 18 6:40 am     Reply with quote

We all miss Stu Hill's forecasts, that's for sure...

Nevo

PostTue Aug 28, 18 6:44 am     Reply with quote

I still don’t know where the NWS interactive page is that’s gorge specific.

I’m happy to pay for a forecast that gets me out of the gorge tho.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Stu Hill!!
I drive 3+ hours from Tacoma and a few pesos a month is a bargain. Yes, I can see all the NWS stuff but for us idiots it's much better to have a real expert with decades of Gorge life who knows the effects of things like thermal, vectors, gradients, etc.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:26 am     Reply with quote

How do we get your forecasts?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Victor - you will find a Wealth of happy subscribers to your new gorge and coast V-cast just make it happen and we will happily PAY for a GOOD Service...

Mc

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Sorry Victor - I'm calling BS.

Iwindsurf is good. Maybe not great but it's good.
And if you use it enough you can translate their readings into kite size - at least I can with about 99% accuracy.
I have over 100 days on the river this year and I've only rigged the wrong kite size twice. I rely on the Iwindsurf sensors 100%.
Also - I have yet to drive somewhere and get skunked which happened a lot before cell phones.

Of course I foil now - so I'm happy if the wind is 10 gusting to 30.
It's the new math -> ((Crappy wind + Slingshot Foil) = great session)!

Iwindsurf condenses all the info I need onto one small cell phone screen.
I can plan my day on the water with 2 clicks and it takes 3 minutes.

The only NWS Interactive page I could find was this - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/frame.php?map=colriver

It's hard to use and you have to click, click, click.

If the Iwindsurf sensors (or equivalent) are available..... show us.... or go back on your meds!

Last edited by ldhr on Tue Aug 28, 18 8:05 am; edited 3 times in total

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:38 am    thanks Reply with quote

that is an AWESOME page.

thanks for throwing that out there

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 28, 18 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Nevo wrote:
Mind sharing a link to this interactive observations page?

NWS forecast for Manzanita says 5-9mph today while ikite says near 20's.

That's a pretty big difference...

The 5-9 mph is the NWS forecast for the town. You want the marine forecast which is here ->
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=pqr&pil=CWF&sid=PQR

Don't forget to add a few mph for the localized Manzanita effect..... or just go with the Iwindsurf because they've been doing it for years and know how to adjust.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 28, 18 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

https://nowcoast.noaa.gov

on the right , scroll to observations, click on surface weather/ocean conditions

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 28, 18 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Every morning I get up and track all the forecasts. Part of my morning ritual for years (as I am sure it is for many of you).

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time.

WRF, HRRR, IKite human forecast. I track them all.

When they don't match and I can't figure it out I just call (or text) Victor the Inflictor.

In those off days when forecasts don't match Victor has a very high success rate. I consider his opinions on wind for the Gorge to be top notch.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 29, 18 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Victor is a genius for forecasting the Gorge and coast.
I was calling BS on his critique of Iwind** and other forecasters.

But I want a single source available as an app on my phone where I can get a reasonably accurate forecast and also the current conditions.... in one or 2 clicks and under 2 minutes or less.

I'm just saying that Iwindsurf meets my needs. They work hard to improve their product and they do a pretty good job. If they have a soft spot - they are guilty of under-estimating the wind strength.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 29, 18 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to have a view from Wells Island to Viento, so my favorite website is : looking out my window.com. I start with the sky above, it usually mirrors the wind conditions, next I watch the wind march down from Viento and then compare the ikite sites of Swell and HR. Next I look for streaks and holes on the water and wind direction. If everything lines up, I slowly and carefully ease off the couch and head for wilds of the Wunderbar! I'm usually 81.4% correct, but this August has been unusually gusty.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Aug 29, 18 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Lmao when “2 minute 2 click Charlie” stated that he relied on Ikite 100%, and uses that info for rigging, with only two “miss-rigs” all season, still got me chuckling. I guess it’s not really that complicated after all....keep watching the skies Victor!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Aug 29, 18 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
ldhr wrote:

Every morning I get up and track all the forecasts. Part of my morning ritual for years (as I am sure it is for many of you).

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time.

WRF, HRRR, IKite human forecast. I track them all.

When they don't match and I can't figure it out I just call (or text) Victor the Inflictor.

In those off days when forecasts don't match Victor has a very high success rate. I consider his opinions on wind for the Gorge to be top notch.

Sorry Big John but I'm calling BS! Very Happy

Your car is parked in the same spot almost daily. Is Secret really the secret wind sauce??? Nope. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I bet it has something to do with it being 2 minutes from your house.

The reality is we are all so spoiled we still pick our most preferred launch over the wind forecast and view "no wind" days as kind of a blessing to get other life tasks done.

If it's blowing.....make sure you have 4 kites in your rig and refresh sailworks.com/bp/Gorge_Wind_Cams.html to know if you're driving East or West. 1 click. 10 seconds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: