Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bahamas, Exuma in April

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rastaman3030

Since 06 Mar 2006
18 Posts

PostTue Aug 21, 18 4:55 pm    Bahamas, Exuma in April Reply with quote

We just booked our first trip to the Bahamas and will be staying on Great Exuma in April with the intent to kite from those dreamy sandbars I keep seeing pictures of!

I'm looking for information on wind speeds to expect during April in the Exuma's. I've done a lot of research, but what I've read is conflicting. Has anyone had first hand experience with the Exuma's during the month of April?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 22, 18 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Have you contacted these guys - https://www.exumakitesurfing.com/exuma-kitesurfing-bahamas-kiteboarding-vacations.php

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostWed Aug 22, 18 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Been to Exuma a number of times, mainly at Xmas but also April. Wind can be 50/50 or better, generally big kites. The wind is mainly from the NE, head for Shoreline Restaurant and Bar in Rolleville on the north end of the island on those days. Will circle SW for a couple days and you can go to the west side of the island but dont get lost, beaches not as nice-may need Garys help from Exuma Kiteboarding for that. On no wind day visit the swimming pigs on a tour. You need a good boat to get to the sandbars, I recommend Off Island Adventures, Steven Cole. Just as good, go to Moriah Cay for a half day with Steven, it is amazing and closer. You will need a car from Thomson car rentals. Assume you have a room but VRBO works well. Go to the "meat market" for food which can be expensive. Restaurant at Hideaways-Palm Bay Beach Resort is good or just eat at Shoreline. Have fun- it is an amazing place!
Last edited by kbrossel on Thu Aug 23, 18 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Aug 22, 18 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

take a foil and a polespear!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Rowsign

Since 03 Oct 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostWed Aug 22, 18 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

You are going to have a great time. I am more of an Exuma Cays guy, but the whole area is really cool with great water. The kites are usually pretty big, but if it blows it will be consistent and steady. It's all frontal winds so you need some weather. Don't sweat it too much and just enjoy the days you get to kite.

Rastaman3030

Since 06 Mar 2006
18 Posts

PostFri Aug 24, 18 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and info everyone! I connected with Gary at Exuma Kiteboarding and he gave me some good info on wind-speed in the month of April on Exuma, here's the info in case anyone is wondering...

"Our windy season here in Exuma is mid-October to
mid-May, so April is a good time to visit for kiteboarding.
Conditions can range from 12-16mph on the low end, to 25-30mph on the upper
end, with a lot of 15-20mph."

Based on this info I'm bringing my 13.5M, 11.5M and a 9.5M. I'll post pics when we return this Spring!

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Sep 01, 18 9:23 am     Reply with quote

be on the lookout for thunder clouds developing quickly out of nowhere. It is called convective activity. Usually associated with lightening. mostly a spring thing.
Sailed there for 5 months a few years ago.
Wish I would of had kite gear, it can be dreamy.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 05, 18 4:15 pm    Not bad Reply with quote

I have done a lot of kiting in the Bahamas from Walkers down to Rum Cay and San salvador since 1998 or so.

All of it can be fine. I am not a fan of Great Exuma as there seems to be a lot of wealthy snobs there. Also stooooopid expensive compared to the less touristy islands. Surf and kiting can be ok-good there. I would say that the island below Exuma, Cat island is a better Bahama island style kite and surf experience and that Rum Cay would be the best kiting and surfing I have had in the Bahamas.

It is all enjoyable but there are 4 islands / towns that I stay away from. Nassau and the associated towns, Bimini, West End and Great Exuma.

The smaller islands are more personal and reasonably priced. The kiting is usually best on the beaches and islands where there is nobody to watch or help you.

One good way to see a lot of the Abacos is to fly into Marsh Harbor and rent a Main Cat or boat and then just go to where the surf and wind is.

There can be a lot of small sharks there. One good trick is to jump as high as you can when you first go out, spot the sharks and then do a really loud flat / slap landing. Seems to send them away. Not too many in the surf but generally more sharks in the Bahamas than any where else I have seen. Most are smaller though, not man eaters.

If I were going to pick one to fly into for kiting and surf it would be Rum Cay. Just dont let Bobby at the marina touch your credit card ....

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Sep 06, 18 9:24 am    Re: Not bad Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
I have done a lot of kiting in the Bahamas from Walkers down to Rum Cay and San salvador since 1998 or so.

All of it can be fine. I am not a fan of Great Exuma as there seems to be a lot of wealthy snobs there. Also stooooopid expensive compared to the less touristy islands. Surf and kiting can be ok-good there. I would say that the island below Exuma, Cat island is a better Bahama island style kite and surf experience and that Rum Cay would be the best kiting and surfing I have had in the Bahamas.

It is all enjoyable but there are 4 islands / towns that I stay away from. Nassau and the associated towns, Bimini, West End and Great Exuma.

The smaller islands are more personal and reasonably priced. The kiting is usually best on the beaches and islands where there is nobody to watch or help you.

One good way to see a lot of the Abacos is to fly into Marsh Harbor and rent a Main Cat or boat and then just go to where the surf and wind is.

There can be a lot of small sharks there. One good trick is to jump as high as you can when you first go out, spot the sharks and then do a really loud flat / slap landing. Seems to send them away. Not too many in the surf but generally more sharks in the Bahamas than any where else I have seen. Most are smaller though, not man eaters.

If I were going to pick one to fly into for kiting and surf it would be Rum Cay. Just dont let Bobby at the marina touch your credit card ....

good advice there!!!

cept maybe the bit bout the cannon ball splashing for sharks - been places where the splashing of falling off the foil had the sharks charging in - or just jumping in loudly summoned the big bull from 200ft down - one of the sharkier spots for spearfishing but not as bad as some spots in south pacific where the sharks win nearly every-time unless you stone the fish

need to go back!
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5490.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 06, 18 9:42 am    Re: Not bad Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
1surfer wrote:

good advice there!!!

cept maybe the bit bout the cannon ball splashing for sharks - been places where the splashing of falling off the foil had the sharks charging in - or just jumping in loudly summoned the big bull from 200ft down - one of the sharkier spots for spearfishing but not as bad as some spots in south pacific where the sharks win nearly every-time unless you stone the fish

need to go back!
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5490.html

Yep. I was actually referring to large shallow sand bottom areas where they are easy to spot as a dark spot and its to shallow or them to come up from the deep.

haxenixavo

Since 20 Jul 2019
1 Posts
Velit earum ut et ut vero possimus elit deserunt aut et

PostSat Jul 20, 19 2:14 am     Reply with quote

Weather is quite good and pleasant for the flying of kites. All the children are out on the roof for the flying of kites and superiorpapers.com prices is coupled for the judgment of the kites. It is amazing for the full use of the offers for the tendency of the terms for the kits. Masters of the kite flying are enjoying in full quantum and spectrum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: