Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seabrook Labor Day Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSat Aug 11, 18 7:47 am    Seabrook Labor Day Weekend Reply with quote

I'll spend some time searching the forum, but thought I'd quick ask for folks' opinion of the best spot to kite near Seabrook on the Olympic coast. I'll be staying there Labor Day weekend with family, and it would be great to pop out for some kiting if the conditions are good! Obviously Westport/Ocean Shores is relatively close, but what about Pacific Beach or anywhere else?

I'm into flat water and small waves, but open to all suggestions!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 11, 18 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Most of us Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia kiters go to Damon Point, near Ocean Shores. Watch the sensor near there. All wind directions work except NW & N. It prefers fall winter spring jet stream conditions.
https://goo.gl/maps/7Xrz5nLCeKk

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSat Aug 11, 18 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

looks like a great flat water spot! Any tide considerations, i.e. is there a big current out of the bay on an outgoing?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 12, 18 5:14 am     Reply with quote

Jbruck wrote:
looks like a great flat water spot! Any tide considerations, i.e. is there a big current out of the bay on an outgoing?

No current or tide issues as it a big flat bay on the east side of the spit. On the ocean side, you can get into trouble if you were to venture way out into the channel and lose your kite.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostWed Aug 29, 18 8:40 am     Reply with quote

It's looking like the wind is going to show up! But just my luck, likely out of the NW. Any suggestions for a good launch in that area (Seabrook/Ocean Shores) on a NW wind? I imagine just on the Ocean Shores beach itself, but without having been there thought I'd check for advice. The PSKite spots north of Damon Point don't show much in the way of info/recommendations.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 29, 18 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

Jbruck wrote:
It's looking like the wind is going to show up! But just my luck, likely out of the NW. Any suggestions for a good launch in that area (Seabrook/Ocean Shores) on a NW wind? I imagine just on the Ocean Shores beach itself, but without having been there thought I'd check for advice. The PSKite spots north of Damon Point don't show much in the way of info/recommendations.

A bit of a ride, but you could try the south jetty at Westport. Forecast isn't looking very strong though.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 29, 18 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

NW looks like it would be fine aside from the fact that with the current you'll probably be pushed pretty far south.

I've only kited in Westport but just looking at the map I would probably go here to kite NW if I was in that area:
https://goo.gl/maps/h4wLrgAyeYH2

You could probably park at Pacific Beach State Park and walk across the river or maybe park on Diamon Dr. if there is any beach access though the houses.

If that doesn't work for you I'd check out the south side of the Moclips River.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostWed Aug 29, 18 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

I've only kited in Westport but just looking at the map I would probably go here to kite NW if I was in that area:
https://goo.gl/maps/h4wLrgAyeYH2

Ooh yeah great suggestion - I'll watch the tides but maybe even some nice flat water in the mouth of that creek!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: