Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ride Engine 2016 vs 2018 harness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 06, 18 8:49 pm    Ride Engine 2016 vs 2018 harness? Reply with quote

Any noticeable changes in comfort/use between the 2016/2018 models? The 2016 is discounted to $130 now while 2018 goes for $280 (both without the spreader bar) and wondering if there's any need to pay double?

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Aug 06, 18 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

The re-designed metal attachment for the spreader bar is *way* more secure than the old piece of tubing they used to use. On the old harness, if it got loose at all, the spreader bar could disconnect from the tubing in the water (it happened to me, and others), and it *would* come loose on you because it only had two straps holding the spreader bar on. The new one has four straps AND the improved clip, and is way more secure.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 18 5:54 am    RE Harness Reply with quote

The 2018 has the improved buckle and four straps like tkaraszewski mentioned , it also has upgraded memory foam padding . The second generation of Ride Engine harnesses were a production model of Coleman Buckley's custom model he would make in his garage from a mold from your back. I never had a 2016/2017 model come undone , you do have to make sure the PU tubing is seated completely.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 18 6:02 am     Reply with quote

I had heard about 2016 coming loose. Never happened to me in 100 + sessions, nor my buddy on season three. Was told to cinch down then thread end back through rear slot of buckles. You can then easily pull up from buckle to make a small loop to loosen when it's time to take the harness off, leaving the tails back threaded (over) the buckle.

Lower back support is pretty amazing for both years

I have the 2018 now. It's easier to put on/off. I bought the 2018 as I need a L to wear over thicker wetsuits vs my M 2016.

Regardless of year, forget your normal sizing. Consult the Ridengine size chart and trust it. If on the cusp size DOWN.

On my wish list is:

1. Make a slider rope system that's much easier to tighten. Currently a total PITA to do so.

2. Use a double slider rope like the 2016 Dakine bar

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 18 6:28 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:

On my wish list is:

1. Make a slider rope system that's much easier to tighten. Currently, a total PITA to do so.

True. I use the Boardriding Maui Cloud Bar which does not have or need a depower adjustment. Unfortunately, my 2017 RE slider rope is always loser than I like which often means my entire session is with the arms and shoulder at full stretch. Purchased a new rope, re-tied it twice, loose again.
Other than this the RE is by far the best harness I've ever experienced in 12 years of kiting.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 18 6:45 am     Reply with quote

I still use the 2016 ride engine, when riding toeside going to my left on a foil, I've looked down at the connection point of the PU tubing and metal hook and noticed it will push away and potentially come out of position. I tend to not ride toeside on my goofy foot now after seeing that
I would say the newer harness is worth the upgrade for both better padding and better locking system.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 07, 18 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Cool - thanks for all the feedback!

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 07, 18 7:13 am    Re: Ride Engine 2016 vs 2018 harness? Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Any noticeable changes in comfort/use between the 2016/2018 models? The 2016 is discounted to $130 now while 2018 goes for $280 (both without the spreader bar) and wondering if there's any need to pay double?

Buy the 2016, better than anything else out there, once tightened then apply step #4 as you would your climbing harness.

http://www.vdiffclimbing.com/basic-harness/

coup

Nevo

PostTue Aug 07, 18 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

I personally thought the 2016 was more comfy but I like the latch on the 2018 way more. I've strangely found that I like the 2018 pretty loose on my body. Don't care for it much when tightened down.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 07, 18 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure this will help but never rode the 2016 but had one of Colman’s originals and a 2018 and they were both good. Of course the original custom fit better and looked like it was an unfinished proto but worked really well. Lasted almost 3 years of 150 days a year. Now using an Ion CS Hadlow and for me it is just as comfortable and has as much support but more freedom of movement. Not a lot but noticeable. Took off the hook and using a slide rope. Best so far for me.

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 07, 18 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

I think the 2017 is a good deal for what you get. I would have kept mine but the padding broke down and put pressure on a certain spot on my back.

2018 also has a different style Velcro that doesn't stick to your wetsuit as much which I like.

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 08, 18 11:18 am     Reply with quote

I got the new one a couple of months ago and find that it is definitely more comfortable for me. Never had any problem with my old one coming unlatched but I did break the slider rope a few times which ended with a swim. Try them both on in a shop if possible. Both of them are great harnesses with excellent back support IMO. The loose rope is a non issue with the new slingshot talons. I had to adjust my bars for longer throw when I changed.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 08, 18 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
On my wish list is:

1. Make a slider rope system that's much easier to tighten. Currently a total PITA to do so.

2. Use a double slider rope like the 2016 Dakine bar
Agree with your wish list.

However, I've never attempted to tighten the rope - seems to me impossible unless there was at least 5-6" of extra rope on the end to pull on and to tie a new knot. So, always just cut the rope and install a new one.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Dakine "double rope" actually a looped single rope sewed together with some nylon webbing on the ends? If so, that's bogus - since if a single rope fails you're done!

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/kiteboard/kite-accessories/option-dyneema-rope/?source=search

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 08, 18 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

I think that’s right but the Mystic is a true double rope last I checked.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 08, 18 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

You could very well be right re DaKine. The double upped portion is where your loop/guardian/shackle slides, so that helps.

I bought 20' of 5/16 spectra and cut it 1' longer than stock rope length. As the rope stretches, I tie another simple overhand knot on the bar side of my original fig 8 knot.
Easier way to tighten everything up.

The Mystic 4 bar--latest--is a single rope, but super easy to tighten.

I bet RE comes up with a slick solution soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: