Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Line Length For Kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
JenM

Since 03 Aug 2018
4 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 03, 18 9:47 pm    Kite Line Length For Kids Reply with quote

My 9 1/2 year old daughter is learning how to kite. She's in the body dragging phase and totally pumped on kiting. So we picked up at 3.5 North Mono for her today with a small Trust Bar. I'm tempted to shorten her lines. Any advice is appreciated as I'm weighing impact on flight, her ability to adapt to longer lines once she's done with lessons etc. etc. She's obviously young and small (65lbs, 4 ft. 3). We are all about safety and fun and a little on our heels as she became interested way before we anticipated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostSat Aug 04, 18 5:33 am     Reply with quote

I took an older line set and had Airtime cut them in half, so about 11m lines.
Attached to a 4 meter Rally and it was great. I use with new folks young and old and it works great. The switch over to the longer lines was easy, you just need to make sure they know they need more space. Also, less violent slamming of the kite.
Use an older bar if you can as they grow out of the short lines quickly.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 05, 18 8:11 am     Reply with quote

I think shortening the lines is a great idea. 18.5M should be the longest that she would ever need. I comfortably use that length for my 5M-7M kites and I weigh 200#. When you can no longer loop the kite comfortably, then you know that your lines are too short. I believe Hein uses 14M lines with his 5M. You can cut lines one one end and just figure 8, taking care to get the bar tuned with all lines the same length. Make sure the bar is not too long, as using a bar that is too long will increase the bar pressure and turning speed of the kite. I believe Hein uses a 14" bar. Make sure the safety system is fool proof.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 18 8:14 am     Reply with quote

JenM
How is the depower throw for your kiddo? My little one is around the same height but I am holding him back until he can utilize the depower more effectively.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 14, 18 8:21 am     Reply with quote

If you decide to shorten the lines - take them to Airtime in Hood River - they do a great job and it's not expensive.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 14, 18 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

its_kite:30 wrote:
JenM
How is the depower throw for your kiddo? My little one is around the same height but I am holding him back until he can utilize the depower more effectively.

Smaller kites need less throw. You can design a bar that is more kid friendly with this in mind.

38680516_10216866892132782_2198805273076826112_n.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: