Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How Consistent is Wickiup Lake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Jul 12, 18 8:50 pm    How Consistent is Wickiup Lake? Reply with quote

Hey Bend locals. In the summer how consistent is wickiup lake? Out of say 100 days in summer how many days would you say that it’s foilable? Big thanks for the intel

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 13, 18 5:58 am     Reply with quote

I’d say Wickiup Reservoir season begins mid-May and goes till the water is too low, usually August. I usually hit it up in June on the south beach when water level is 70-85% full. If it’s too full, there’s no beach to launch. I’ve done tethered launches from the trees in early season to my wife’s dismay. When the water gets below 70%, go to the dam and launch near the boat ramp. I foiled the lake 4x this June with 8-10m clouds- no swims. I recently had a super fun 12m sesh near the dam on my surfboard. So to answer your question, 2-3D/wk easy with foil. I use the computer generated forecast for Wickiup Reservoir on Iwindsurf which seems most reliable. 60min to south shore and 50min to the dam from Bend. But let me be clear, nobody moves to Bend to kite. I’d say the typical Bend person has sports ADD. We could never go year round in any sport. Personally, I prefer to plan my time off to chase the absolute best windy spot that’s on. And in Oregon, there’s always an incredible place within a few hours drive that will satisfy the stoke.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: