Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gusts? Gorge Wind Questions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostThu Jun 28, 18 4:47 pm    Gusts? Gorge Wind Questions? Reply with quote

I'm not real familiar with the wind patterns in the gorge. More accustomed to the thermals of Sherman Island and the wind of Crissy.

Sticking to generalities and thinking about the event site/Lyle, has June been more gusty than normal? Lots of days where the difference between the lulls and the gusts were well over 20 mph. Wind in the mid 20s, gust to the mid 30s. Wind in the high 20s, gusts over 40. Makes it hard for an intermediate kiter to figure things out!

Does this tend to settle out a little in July and August? September?

Thanks for any insight!

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 28, 18 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

yes

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 18 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t think it really settles down.... I get maybe 6 days of kiting from April, 2-3 days each week, until October, that are NOT gusty. It’s always gusty in the Gorge.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 18 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

I think east winds are more likely to be smooth and steady than the west winds. Fall easterlies can be rock solid.

West wind is smoothest on warm summer days. But the gorge is not known for smooth and steady. Upside is you get lots of days to practice riding in gusty conditions.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 18 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Welcome to the Gorge buddy. If the conditions are punchy just punch back.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 29, 18 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Just think of yourself as a cowboy on a bucking bronco hanging on with one hand. The steadiest winds are always the lightest. With the 45 mph gusts yesterday it was a real rodeo. The biggest days seem to have the biggest holes. My favorite wind here is the first hour after the winds show up on a 18-28 mph day.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 29, 18 7:12 am     Reply with quote

20mph lull-to-gust difference is pretty normal in the Gorge, just rig for the average and enjoy the ride, Event Site is a little more gusty due to the wind shadow of Wells Island, but if you ride up to the White Salmon bridge you'll find more steady wind and if you go ride upwind more to west of Wells Island it will be a little steadier still

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 29, 18 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Head farther east away from the cloud line. . . tends to steady wind out some.

An example might be is if it is windy, but gusty at Rufus. Travel 17 miles more and go hit Arlington.

I think the steadiest wind in the Gorge overall is Stevenson? I'm talking west winds.

But yeah what everyone else said, the Gorge tends to be gusty. It will make you a more versatile/competent kiter.

My 3 cents.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 29, 18 7:32 am     Reply with quote

think of the gorge as a flowing river. (wait - it actually is)!
in the long straight stretches water will flow smoothly and evenly.
where the river bends and is bound by steep banks.... the water will be disrupted and there will be turbulence.
same for the wind.
regardless of where you launch - look for long straight sections of the river that line up with the wind direction.

if you're observant - you'll notice the HR locals who launch at the Event Site go upwind to Wells Island and beyond for smoother wind. Wink

be like Johnny Seagull - leave the flock and go on a quest to find the best thermals.... you will be rewarded with the tastiest fish.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 29, 18 8:27 am     Reply with quote

3-Mile

<3

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 29, 18 9:10 am     Reply with quote

If you're looking for smoother in The Gorge you should be kiting earlier.

The general pattern for The Gorge is the big winds ramp up early on the west end and slowly move down the gorge to the east end.

Learn the wind patterns and just show up at your favorite site before the big winds kick in.

Also... There are two primary ways to smooth out gustiness:
1) Your board direction. Edge upwind in lulls, fall downwind in gusts
2) Your kite throw. Get used to feathering your kite to adjust to the ups and downs.

edit - added picture
Notice that Lyle currently shows a 12 mph spread... It will be much gustier later.

dougs.png 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 29, 18 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it was especially gusty yesterday 15-40 for me in the Rowena to Doug’s stretch. Hope you got out today which was a more common 15-30. Stevenson is always more consistent when it’s sunny

17DF0C37-4F0D-4A47-BF87-670D64ACA422.png 
   CEF354AB-9BDC-4608-90AF-CAC553343E1C.png 

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 01, 18 1:36 am     Reply with quote

The Gorge is well known for being gusty. I only get a handful of truly steady days in the Gorge. I hear you, the conditions though epic and exciting, can limit your progress.

Spending time in La Ventana during the winter will be a sure way to find steady winds and improve your kite game.

You will find the Oregon Coast to be steady compared to the Gorge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: