Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Corolla NC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ronp

Since 05 Jul 2007
79 Posts
west linn

PostSun Jun 10, 18 7:01 pm    Kiting in Corolla NC? Reply with quote

I'm taking a family vacation this week in Corolla, NC which is on the northern part of NC coast. It's closer to Virginia than Nags Head. I'm familiar with the southern outer banks area but have no idea about this area. All the launch sites I could find were further south. I did find that there is a kite school in Corolla but couldn't find much else.

Not sure if it is worth bringing my gear out there. Any place that rents gear not too far away?

thanks,
-Ron

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 11, 18 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Ron, Corolla is fun to kite. Bring your gear. Ocean there is awesome as it has a very gradual drop off, nice wave breaks, and is tons of fun. You can also drive up to Corova (4x4 only) for some nice downwinders back to your house (or from it I guess)

If you want sound side kiting, the closest place will be behind the Whalehead Club (south of lighthouse). You will find an awesome grassy launch. The parking is for ramp access only, but you can drop your gear and park around the corner. From there you'll have epic flat water slicks to the north of you.

You can also get in touch with the local school and they'll give you boat drop-off / support for downwinders through the slicks. Hit them up via FB Messenger. They've been responsive to me there.

Wind windows tend to be shorter and a little lighter up there. They still have wind, but in the summer I'm usually on a kite size larger than folks down in Hatteras for any southerly winds.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 13, 18 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

If you can drive on the beach the potential is there for lots of fun on little waves, even if wind is blowing pretty offshore. It’s just not that threatening an environment, especially if you’ve ridden in pnw ocean. The beach is wide and the dunes aren’t too big so wind can clean up a bit. There may be snakes and mud in the sound, but don’t let that stop you. Personally I’ve only done ocean sessions there so far. Been to the spot by the lighthouse though, it does have potential. I’m sure the local school can help you find the best options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: