Since 18 Jul 2006
|Fri Jun 08, 18 8:46 am CGKA - Viento Launch Site Improvement June 27 10am
|VIENTO Beach Clean Up and Improvement – Help Needed!!!
June 27th 10am-2pm
Hello All, and thanks Pepi for helping get the word out.
This is going to be our big opportunity to get a lot of work done at Viento. The goal is to broaden and clear the beach area, and importantly, the upland area of the beach to create more rigging and setup areas for all the water users. The CGWA would like Viento to become the shining example of launch cooperation between windsurf, kite, and paddlesport users. If we show up in numbers, (and we should) we can really create a site that works for all of us. June 27th 10-2. The CGWA and CGKA should totally get the word out, let's blow Or St Parks away with what we can accomplish. Volunteers will need brush clearing gear, including eye, ear, and skin protection due to poison oak mixed in with blackberries. We have a few dead trees to get rid of to make space for better kite and sail rigging, and want to clear a new pathway down to the beach from the parking area for better visibility and security. If we show up with an army, we can get this done in four hours. The CGWA will provide grilled brats and ice tea, call or write if you have any questions. Cheers, Bart
Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association
Bart (CGWA Exec Dir) will be the point man in charge of directing clean up flow, direction and follow through.
CGKA – Mike and Adam will coordinate kiter volunteer attendance and efforts.
TJ /Big Winds and Bob/Gorge Performance will coordinate with the SUP community to get a volunteer effort organized
Discussed goals : (these goal will likely change depending on how much actual volunteer strength is available, time contraints, and Bart’s thoughts during work day) *Bart and his crew have done a lot of aggressive beach clean ups, so he will be a good lead on this.
- Re-Open the west side of the launch area where the original windsurf launch was located and has become overgrown with shrubbery (this will double the size of the launch/rig area and allow for kite rigging/launching on easterly winds)
Pathway from parking area:
- Widen the path to allow easier access for SUPers/Outriggers, Kites and windsurf rigs.
- Remove all invasive brush/shrubbery along shoreline and attempt to smooth transition at waters edge (no water level mods due to tribal reason)
East border fenceline:
- Clear out all debris/shrubbery/small trees along the east fenceline to open up/widen the current rigging area.
East Pathway (SUP launch) :
- Widen, remove invasive brush and increase user space and safety for launching SUPS (and hopefully kites).
[b:13763ca0d3]The CGKA is your advocate for Kiteboarding in the Gorge! [i:13763ca0d3] Join now: [/i:13763ca0d3]GorgeKiter.com/join[/b:13763ca0d3]