Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Visiting from New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostThu Jul 21, 05 1:50 pm    Visiting from New York Reply with quote

I've been dreaming about kiting in the Gorge since I started kiting three years ago.

After sitting around Long Island for two weeks with no wind, I finally booked my flight.

I arrive on Saturday Aug 6 and I leave on Wed Aug 17.

I haven't booked lodging or a rental car yet but would love any info or recommendations.

If someone wants to rent me a room or a couch, that would be cool too.

I'm 39 years old with my own construction business and have no priors.

I would also love to hook up with a local to show me the good launches, local rules etc.

I'm 185 lbs and would like to know what kites to bring.

I would also like to check out some mountain biking, hiking, rafting sightseeing while I'm there. Only if it's not windy of course.

I did meet a couple really good guys from Hood River on a trip to Hatteras last year and would love to try to hook up with them again.

One was Scott Sorensen and one was a big New Zealander named Didi.

Thanks very much for any info. I can't wait!

Craig Asher

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 21, 05 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm well here's one tip on bringing kites: BRING EM ALL! You'll be on your 7m one day and 16m the next. Though the big kites aren't usually needed (especially if you don't mind driving around.)

The sandbar in Hood River is a good place to start... just get there early before the crowds show up. Thumb's Up

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostThu Jul 21, 05 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, you mean you guys call a 16 a big kite?

But seriously.

I have a 7,9,11,13,15,and 18.

How 'bout 7,11,15?

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Jul 21, 05 2:39 pm    The Gorge Reply with quote

Bring all kites and a good attitude. Scriffler is watching and is one mean pit. Cool

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 21, 05 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Crasher,

Scott and Didi are both kicking around on a daily basis... Drive into town, stand at the corner of Oak and 1st... Start yelling for them and someone will give you directions and/or a phone number...

Yup, dat easy to find people in Hood River... Don't yell my name, or someone might call the cops...

Bam Bam

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 21, 05 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Rent a cheap car that will fit your stuff no need for a 4x4. If you can't find anyone to rent you their couch you the Hood River Hotel it's pretty nice (so it may be a $$) but it right in downtown and you can walk to all the bars and restaurants. I would make your base location Hood River and then you can drive east or west depending on the wind.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 21, 05 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

7-11-15 would cover ya good... there are other combos, 7-9-13 is mine for instance... but go with your favorites in that range.

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostThu Jul 21, 05 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Here's Scott's email address. Don't know his phone number off the top of my head, but it's probably in the book.
sssorensen@gorge.net

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostThu Jul 21, 05 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

I'd be ready to drive West to hit the lower Columbia spots or the OR coast(just poke around the old messages on this forum). The Gorge can shut down if Portland gets too hot, if so it's likely that these places are probably working. So don't get too locked in to Hood River

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Jul 21, 05 3:50 pm    contact info Reply with quote

Craig,
Here's Didi's email address, although it may be an old one. I'll check and repost if this one doesn't work:
luvvytaylor@aol.com

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Jul 22, 05 12:10 am     Reply with quote

if the wind shuts out and you HAVE to ride here's what to look for...

knebal springs/8mile combo
trail 450 with the above mentioned
post canyon ... got your pads???
whoopie trail
coyotee cliff to little moab...bring your oak scrubb.

those are but a few but will suffice in a low wind situation and will thoroughly entertain.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 22, 05 6:53 am    crasher the OR coast Reply with quote

I have a B&B on the coast in Seaside. Kiting out front, a little south, or a little north. Winter rates for kiters. Lots of options, waves, downwinders, and no-wind activities. In addition to your smaller kites, throw your 18 in and you'll be covered.

See you out here! -Tony

www.summerinseaside.com

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostFri Aug 05, 05 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the good info.

I'll see you at the sandbar tomorrow afternoon.

I imagine it will be pretty crowded by then. I'll probably just watch for a little while to get familiar with the launch, etc.

I'm going to try to bring my 7,9,11,13,15 if I can fit them all. The 18 will stay home.

I will need to have a 1" cut on the leading edge of my 13m repaired when I get there. Any suggestions where to have that done would be appreciated.

Thanks again and I'll see you tomorrow.

Craig

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 05, 05 10:29 am     Reply with quote

crasher - Airtime for repairs, you can't miss them on the way out to the sandbar (right above the 76 gas station.) They do top noch work. Thumb's Up

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostSun Aug 21, 05 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

I've been back in NY for a few days now. Boy do I miss Oregon.

The Gorge kicks ass. I flew my 7m kite every day from Sat to Friday except Sat 8/6 when I flew my 9m and 11m.

I kited the Sandbar, the(not so secret)spot, Rufus, Roosevelt, Stevensen.

Then when the Gorge shut down Sat, I went white water kayaking on the White Salmon on Sat and Mountain biking on Sunday.

Then I drove to the Coast and kited Manzanita Monday and Floras lake Tuesday and went back and forth from the lake to the Ocean.

Then made the drive back to PDX on Wed and flew back to the land of no wind where we pray every afternoon for enough sea breeze to be powered on our 18's.

I met lots of cool people, and made lots of new friends, and kited alongside pro riders.

I think Adam Koch launched my kite on Friday 8/12 at the sandbar. Does anyone know if he was there flying a blue and orange kite?

I met Tonia who I believe is the same Tonia who wrote the article in Kiteboard Magazine that I used for my guide while I was there.She was extremely cool and I would never have been able to accomplish so much in such a short time without that article, so thanks Tonia!

I even met Scriffler(Skids).He really isn't mean, he's actually very cool, and so is his owner.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with info! I'll definitely be back again!

Craig from New York

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 21, 05 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like you got the full meal deal! Good planning and taking advantage of it all.

Adam has been in town so it probably was him.

Glad you had a good time, now don't tell too many people back home. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: