Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bear+cub sighting around Post Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon May 28, 18 9:29 pm    Bear+cub sighting around Post Canyon Reply with quote

I saw a black bear and her cub tonight while mountain biking at Post. I was going down from toilet bowl back to parking/Post Canyon road. They were not that close to be scared, but maybe just worried - It was 8pm and I did not see other bikers on the way up or down. I Was very surprised they would be around a place freequented by humans, and I am pretty sure today was a busy day.
I would post this at some bikers forum but I am not familiar where, so I decided nwkiters may suggest where.
I just wanted to give heads up to the bikers, because it never occurred to me that bears would be in that area.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 29, 18 6:14 am     Reply with quote

To highjack this OT thread, it’s even more dangerous when cars go bombing up the PC road, even at 6:01 AM Tuesday in a silver four door with a nationally recognized brand on your doors at 40-45 mph blowing by the sign at the corner that says “drive like your kids live here.”

Please slow down

Thanks,
Eric

docwild

Since 02 Sep 2015
103 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 29, 18 7:36 am    bear/cars Reply with quote

I can send both issues on to HRATS. on almost every ride I have to wave cars to slow down.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostTue May 29, 18 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

I will watch out for the bears!

Yes, I live on Post Canyon Dr....... please slow down!!! I watch cars race down to go biking all day long...

..this goes for everywhere, everyone just needs to slow down in general. Jack Johnson says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sET4gF_IOiY

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue May 29, 18 7:20 pm    Black bears Reply with quote

Went riding tonight in post, no bears seen. Pretty funny hearing girl friend calling out for the bear. All kidding aside I have seen two bears back around 2009 while riding moto.
Now if we only had a great white siting at the event site we'd be set. Anything to cut down the crowds.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed May 30, 18 5:41 am     Reply with quote

They are just bears, you know they are there - go about your day. Black bears all over between Mosier and Govt Camp. They don't want much to do with you.

www.freeridekiting.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 18 7:16 am     Reply with quote

I surprised a mama and cub descending Mt. Defiance a couple of years ago. Luckily they went the other way to the right. 2 minutes later I hear Papa bear on my left growling. Never saw him but I sure picked up my pace and made lots of noise. Had a cougar snatch a Neighbors poodle here in White Salmon 5 years ago off their front porch, now my wife refuses full moon walks.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed May 30, 18 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

I saw a small black bear while mountain biking at Post Canyon many years ago. It was taking a dump and I think I surprised him.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 18 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Saw a bear while cycling cross the bike trail above i84 north of Hood River last summer. In the middle of the day. I was surprised.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: