Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Garmin Fenix 5s for Foiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat May 26, 18 5:33 am    Garmin Fenix 5s for Foiling? Reply with quote

Anyone use kiting with a review? Currently use a Citizen $150 dive watch which is brilliant and bombproof, but thought a GPS toy might be kind of fun--or not...

We are an Apple house

Thanks,
Eric

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 26, 18 6:31 am     Reply with quote

hey eric I use the 5s and enjoy it. most people use the 5 or 5x but they are pretty bulky. for my small delicate wrists I prefer the "ladies" version. the watch has screen customization so you can arrange your data fields and add different data screens. I use it pretty much every kite/mtb session. when I foil at the coast it's hard to determine how far out you are so I use my watch to let me know when I am a mile or so out before tacking back. when doing my runs up to sauvies from frenchmans, I'll use the data along the way to see how efficient I am foiling in regards to distance, time and current speeds. I opted for the non fancy glass version which is a hundred less. just get gorilla glass on amazon for less than 10 bucks. battery life isn't bad, but the more you use it the more it requires recharge so I put mine on the charger every 2-3 days.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 26, 18 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Been playing with the Vivoactive3 on SPI this week. I had bought a refurbished Vivoactive that I tracked sessions with the cycling app, but the 3 supposedly has better jump height resolution with barometric altimeter. Unfortunately, the one kiting app someone wrote isn't that great, and I climbed over 130' just by SUPping on the flat Laguna Madre, so I don't trust the measurements too much.

For just tracking with GPS, any of the Garmins are OK, though GLONASS will improve tracking resolution (and drain battery faster). I may have to take a stab at a kiting app myself, as I didn't seem to get much cooperation with the author of the existing one.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 26, 18 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

You can get a refurbished vivoactive on ebay for ~$80.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: