Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Onewheel
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 04, 18 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Gave the one back a week and a half ago that I was lent to learn on. Now I miss it and want one. Not in the budget though. Funny for something I originally thought was not interesting, but I apparently did get hooked.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jun 05, 18 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I ended up getting a Backfire board because it was relatively cheap and my friend has one.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING. I even kited yesterday, had to cut my session short because of social obligations, and was jonsing to ride the e-board.

Gonna definitely get a Onewheel now! I think I'll wait until there isnt so much of a lagtime before order to shipment.

I had it on advanced mode by my 3rd session (first one or two sessions were short too). The sensation of acceleration is pretty rad. In kiting, the force comes from your harness- so its disconcerting to have it come from the board. but I got over that quick.

I kind of poo-pooed the eskate because i perceived it as being used by folks too damn lazy and fat to ride a real skate board. Yes, that is true but only a tiny part of the picture. Riding this skateboard has been pretty fun. I rode my friends after I ordered one, and I almost regretted my purchase because I only did it a little and it was simply kind of meh- maybe because I was uncomfortable with it being someone elses board. But I'm pretty stoked on this thing now!!

thanks for the input guys!

lieutenantglorp

Since 05 Mar 2009
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jul 10, 18 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

Onewheel is the ultimate solution to short trips to the store, smooth fast mountain bike single track and pump tracks, and just cruising around when kiting conditions are not happening. Your hands are free to carry loads and just enjoy carving instead of walking or otherwise. Easily handles uneven terrain, gaps, bumps and tree roots for the most part. With a charge and ride backpack, you can travel much farther, even on the earlier models and can have more range for hill climbing. The main safety recommendation I make to everyone is to never lean your body weight forward to accelerate. Instead, constantly remind yourself to only press down on the front the same way you would on a balance board (keeping your weight centered over the board). This will greatly reduce your chances of nosedive. Also if you are riding at top speed, there is less overhead motor torque to maintain your balance, also increasing risk of nosedive. Respect the board and it will give you miles of smiles. It's easily one of the funnest and most versatile non-water toys I have and I can't imagine life without it now Smile

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 11, 18 2:48 am     Reply with quote

OW + Kite experience:

Rode from Newport campground camp site to the beach with my kite gear, locked it to bike rack, kited 3 hours, rode it back.

Tons of fun on the wet sand too.

Only complaint has been my bluetooth / app connection hasn't worked for months and when I sent it back to OW to fix they said it was fine and charged me for shipping, still doesn't work.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 11, 18 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

Only complaint has been my bluetooth / app connection hasn't worked for months and when I sent it back to OW to fix they said it was fine and charged me for shipping, still doesn't work.

we can probably find a computer guy to get that hooked up for you Laughing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 11, 18 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Anybody try out the electric evolve skateboards. They seem to have the longest range.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 11, 18 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

I made the mistake of joining the Onewheel Injury group on Facebook... Scared me off!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 11, 18 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:
I made the mistake of joining the Onewheel Injury group on Facebook... Scared me off!

Thumb's Up Yeah it's brutal.

www.naishkites.com

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 12, 18 6:15 am     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:

Most of those wrecks are newbie adrenaline speed junkies. A very very small percentage can be a controller module malfunction. You read reports where people are posting above spec top speeds the first week they get the thing. Then their next post is a wreck.

Don't buy a OneWheel for speed. You want high speed, get an electric skateboard. This is for all terrain carving. There is plenty of fun to be had under 15mph on these. Heck, must dirt trail riding is under 10mph, a sh*tload of fun, and you can easily run out any falls when you come up against a rock or root you didn't make it over.

So yeah... buy one. Smile

The XR wait is now under a month and the Plus models are shipping new today and the used market always has options posted. Usually 30-40% less than MSRP, low mileage and many still with the transferable 1 year warranty.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 12, 18 9:32 am     Reply with quote

I got a OW+ a couple weeks back. its a super fun gadget especially at the coast.
I've had a couple of nosedives but in the sand and on grass.
the thing I noticed about riders letting others try it was they would tell them how to get going, but not how to stop. very important to know how to stop and dismount as I've seen some horrific dismounts due to lack of instruction.
I say its like foiling on land.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jul 12, 18 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

What about these nose dives I read about and folks getting hurt because of it shutting off? That doesn't seem to be user error, guess they beep or something.

lieutenantglorp

Since 05 Mar 2009
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 13, 18 8:57 am     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
What about these nose dives I read about and folks getting hurt because of it shutting off? That doesn't seem to be user error, guess they beep or something.

Any electro/ mechanical vehicle can suffer from failure. Fortunately my two boards have been problem free for hundreds of miles. I personally know riders with thousands of commute miles. I wear anywhere from full safety gear to nothing, depending on terrain and speed I will be riding. If you have a beer in one hand and are wearing flip flops jamming at top speed with headphones in without wearing any protection, user error or board error will eventually take you out.

kayak4r

Since 12 Jul 2018
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 13, 18 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Use the app and it will warn you on battery life while riding. Make sure your front foot is where it is supposed to be. Don't push through the push back when going fast.

Really fun to take it to the coast and ride low tide. You can get going pretty fast!

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 13, 18 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 15, 18 5:13 am     Reply with quote

I tried it and liked it. I ordered the new one about three weeks ago from their website, but still no sign of it. I heard you can get them at Gorge Performance.

k3rm1t

Since 14 Feb 2014
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jul 24, 18 11:52 am     Reply with quote

I have the original onewheel and recently added an Exway electric skateboard to the garage. They are both fun and very different. I've had the dreaded nose pitch on the onewheel but once I stopped using the beginner mode it has never happened since. I'm not a speed demon.

The onewheel sadly still looks ridiculous. We have a dude in town that rides his everywhere begging for attention and it's sorta spoiled it for the rest of us. The Exway is easily mistaken for a regular longboard and therefore if perception is at all an issue (come on, you know it is) then the skateboard is the way to go. It's also really nice to be able to just step off the skateboard. The onewheel is not the easiest thing to dismount.

Onewheel wins for dirt, crappy roads, bumps and sand for sure and it is a unique feeling to ride. It also charges significantly faster than the Exway.

Exway wins on price and the hills (both up and down) near my house.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: