Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding South France/Spain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostMon Feb 26, 18 2:44 pm    Kiteboarding South France/Spain Reply with quote

Looking for recommendations - I'm going to be in South France at the end of May for a family trip, and may have a day or two on one end of the trip to get some kiting in and trying to decide whether to lug all the gear out there. It looks like there are tons of good kiting spots, but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations. Reliable wind and flat water would be great, but of course I'll take what I can get!

Our trip is leaving out of Narbonne on the Southwest coast of France. I'll either be flying in there or flying into Barcelona and driving North to Narbonne. All thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Mar 08, 18 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

Not hugely experienced, but here's what I know:

Barcelona: closest kite beach is Castelldefels. Easy train ride from the city (just get off 2nd stop, not the town). Big sandy beach, lots of kiters. Not a super windy spot, seemed more big kite oriented.

Leucate: right at France / Spain border. Super windy spot, tiny kites, sometimes too windy. I didn't kite here (family logistics), but it was cranking. Lagoon and outside (offshore).

Almanare/Hyeres: Presqu'île de Giens, long thin spit (means "almost island of Giens"). Onshore one side, offshore other. 100s of kiters on onshore side. I took my lessons on the offshore side, some kiters pay the boat to drop them off in the open water and pick up them up after, as can't launch off the beach. Seemed the most consistently windy around there. [and well worth visiting Ile de Porquerolles just off there, great family spot, rent bikes, awesome snorkelling and swimming]

Frejus: kite beach at St Aygulf, wedged in beside the nude beach. Seemed more big kite, but windy on its day.

The southern med was spectacularly beautiful, way above my expectations. White sand, clear green/blue water. Quite amazing.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Mar 08, 18 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Those are very helpful recommendations, thank you! I may have more questions as it gets closer Smile

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Mar 08, 18 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm no Europe pro, just visited twice, once when learning, once when competent. But both trips were family first, so sneak in a kite where I could. For other spots, you may want to post to kiteforum, there's some French folks on there who might help.

Other spot:
East of Frejus, there's Cannes and Nice, with loads of beaches....probably kiting somewhere, but was very light wind in summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: