Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stevenson waterfront enhancement project
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 17, 18 6:22 pm    Stevenson waterfront enhancement project Reply with quote

I'm wondering what is going on with this and if anyone from the kiting community is offering input (yogaman?)
Hoping they keep kite launching in mind on the development of this new beach area
exciting things to come this year!

https://portofskamania.org/stevenson-waterfront-enhancement/

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 17, 18 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Stringy. They had a permit to go all the way to east Wind launch but they needed another 500k. They had the permit for rock creek to bring more dirt but they slacked on that. I have spoken to a few in the know and they told me that kite launching forbusnwillnstill be at our launch. They are going about 80’ outband 300’ Down. As we know with the sternwheeler parked it will still Create a big shadow. It will give us a beach to anchor the aqua docks at for the BOTG but that is about it. I don’t know as I was not at any of the meetings. I guess I should have ran for the spot on the port so we could have more of a voice.

I was told they are going to plant too many trees that we would not even be able to launch from there. My concern is that when all these trees get planted and they grow in 20 years we will have a shadow from hell. If anyone thought they old tree is a pain in the ass wait a few years for the trees to mature. I have always been told that for what ever the height of the obstruction of Wind to allow 10 times that for the Wind to clean out and the sternwheel supports this. These trees will screw us over the long haul. I am sure al always I have missed something but this is what I know so far. The intel I got is from a business owner couple very close to the waterfront whom are very capable Wind surfers over the years in the community.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 18, 18 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Stevie launch is pretty damn perfect the way it is now.
But maybe if they are planting all those trees they can justify the removal of some of the shrubs that grab our lines at the launch site?
I promise to plant a shrub on my property to offset the carbon footprint for every shrub they cut back or remove.

Since 08 Feb 2018
12 Posts

PostThu Feb 08, 18 7:45 pm    update Reply with quote

Port of Skamania really busy this week in Stevenson check out the improvements so far

20180208_145750.jpg 
   20180208_145259.jpg 
   20180208_145757.jpg 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 09, 18 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Cost city of stevenson 70k to put up that mud fence. . After one day of rain we get more crap out of Rock creek. Some of the “ environmental requirements “ are a waste of time and city resources when they are already strapped. All about salmon habitat -zero about kiting and recreation. Will be a lot of trees there where it should have been grass !

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Feb 09, 18 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

I like how they used to put a big raft up wind of the launch during the bridge of the gods. They should do that on all crowded weekends during the summer, it would really help launching and landing!

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Feb 17, 18 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

hopefully, they will cover all the rock with white sand and put an umbrella rental stand there. And ice cream, they need to sale some ice cream there in the summer.I bet some foilers can enjoy an ice cream on the way. I saw one reading a book while foiling. Must be easy.

JimmyH

Since 06 Mar 2012
116 Posts
United States
Stoked

PostThu Mar 08, 18 8:12 am    East Point Improvements Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Jim Hunt, "aka" Yogaman. I live in Stevenson and am very involved with the Port meetings and have been working with the civil contractors during the on-site development Several other local kiters are really involved also. There are always a lot of variables to deal with, so we are making decisions that will keep East Point launch and landing zone protocol the same, just safer. Example: all the river rock placed to minimize line tangles and round out the banks rocky topography.

The goal of the new riverfront is to maintain the windsurfing and kite-surfing existing dedicated zones, while creating spaces for other river access visitors, spectators, kayaks, sup etc. These distinct areas will help to guide people into usage zones that meet their recreational mindset, goals. Example: People that want to launch a boat go to the boat ramp. People that want to kite, go to East Point. People that want to Windsurf, Bobs beach and all others can now access the river and hangout at the newly expanded areas.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 08, 18 8:27 am     Reply with quote

I'm stoked on the new Stevenson launch site. I went there yesterday, bitched out on kiting but took a nice tour of the new development. Can't wait to use it and see kites all lined up down there.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Mar 08, 18 9:52 am    . Reply with quote

anyone have any recent pics to share?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Mar 08, 18 10:48 am    Re: East Point Improvements Reply with quote

JimmyH wrote:
Hello,

My name is Jim Hunt, "aka" Yogaman. I live in Stevenson and am very involved with the Port meetings and have been working with the civil contractors during the on-site development Several other local kiters are really involved also. There are always a lot of variables to deal with, so we are making decisions that will keep East Point launch and landing zone protocol the same, just safer. Example: all the river rock placed to minimize line tangles and round out the banks rocky topography.

The goal of the new riverfront is to maintain the windsurfing and kite-surfing existing dedicated zones, while creating spaces for other river access visitors, spectators, kayaks, sup etc. These distinct areas will help to guide people into usage zones that meet their recreational mindset, goals. Example: People that want to launch a boat go to the boat ramp. People that want to kite, go to East Point. People that want to Windsurf, Bobs beach and all others can now access the river and hangout at the newly expanded areas.

Good work

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 08, 18 11:43 am    Re: East Point Improvements Reply with quote

JimmyH wrote:
Hello,

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 08, 18 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

these pics were taken this week

IMG_8764.jpg 
   IMG_8767.jpg 
   IMG_8768.jpg 
   IMG_8769.jpg 
   IMG_8770.jpg 
   IMG_8771.jpg 
   IMG_8773.jpg 
   IMG_8774.jpg 

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 08, 18 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Wo

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Mar 08, 18 3:47 pm    . Reply with quote

thanks for the pics stringy!

winding up lines on westerlies will be much easier.

thanks Jim Hunt! great improvements

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 11, 18 9:15 am     Reply with quote

image taken saturday

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 26, 22 12:26 pm    dang Reply with quote

Sure looks different now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: