Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Splitboard Travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 10, 18 8:52 pm    Splitboard Travel Reply with quote

Purchased a new splitboard for travel. I'll post my thoughts of the board as soon as I test it out. Hope I can test the board this weekend at the coast.

First impressions are manufacturing is high quality craftsmanship.
If anyone would like to try the board out, let me know.

https://www.kitelementshop.com/

Kitelement.jpg 

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jan 14, 18 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Got one about 4 years ago from Nobile. If you travel a lot, it’s a great purchase. Easy to set up, easy to disassemble and pack. Pretty bomb prove.

The ride is pretty good. I don’t have the carbon fiber version but I think that one might ride a bit better. I’ve ridden it in giant swell, lagoons, seas, and oceans.

I am curious about the one Windski is going to try. The style of split on the nobile has been excellent. You never notice or feel it. It rides like any other board. I wonder how that split will ride?

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Sep 04, 18 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

WindSKi- Your thoughts on your split board? I am looking to get on and only looks like a couple of companies are producing them.

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostTue Sep 04, 18 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

We returned from a trip to the Cook Islands and took our Kitelement boards with us for the first time. We flew on two non-kiter friendly airlines, United and Air New Zealand. I figure I already have a 25% return on the cost of the boards with no board bag fees. We have the carbon boards and performance was as good as our regular boards. Upwind performance was fine. The fastening mechanism on the Nobile seems like it could wear out over time. The Kitelements use simple screws but you have to be very careful not to strip them. Cost of the Kitelement was half of the Nobile and support is good, I had a bad fin and they shipped me a new set immediately.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Sep 04, 18 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks KB, yeah I am not sure why Nobile has to ream people out on the cost of their board exp since it's in the 4th gen. I am looking at 999 w/ straps for the Nobile non carbon and 716 w/ straps for the carbon Kitelement. I think I might just go your route, thanks for your opinion on the board.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 05, 18 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I love this board and would highly recomend it. Note that the cost, very resonable does not reflect the quolity of construction. Its is 100% top quolity, as good and any other brand. If you travel, this type of board is a must.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Sep 06, 18 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Cool glad you like it, still up in the air on what to get but have some time to decide. Thanks

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 06, 18 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

I will be needing a split soon. Though there is more cost on the Nobile. It has a long history of performance and you will certainly recoup the difference on price upon resale as the Nobile will still command a significantly higher resale value.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Sep 06, 18 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I just put an order in for the 2019 NHP Nobile split from Kite-line.com. The board looks sharp with the new graphics!

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 06, 18 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

How many times do you plan to break down and put together the board during your trip? If you are only breaking down the board for airplane transport then boards with several traditional screws would work well. But if you are commuting to the beach via bicycle, motorcycle, moped, rickshaw, etc. one would be breaking down the board and putting it back together for every session. Here is where I would favor the ease of the nobile system.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Sep 06, 18 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

It would be broke down just for air travel. The board looks solid and clearly they have more R&D invested in theirs, plus I like spending money! Wink

https://shop.nobilesports.com/nobile-kiteboard-nhp-split-2019.html

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 06, 18 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

I’ve had the nobile split board for 5 years and it’s traveled all over the world with me. It’s durable. I did lose a fin in Mexico in April. No biggie cuz you can ride without one. However, it cost a lot to get a new one. I had to order a set. I ordered extra screws as well. The board has paid for itself easily. No rental fees, no baggage charges. It’s worth the upfront expense.
The carbon split looks super cool. I think that one will be better yet. Lighter and smoother I’m sure.

bluevwguy

Since 09 Jun 2011
5 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 11, 19 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Some reviews from splitboard owners that have logged numerous sessions on their boards would be appreciated. I own a first generation kitelement twin tip that has just bit the dust (cracked under the foot strap not at the joint) and a 2014 nobile split surfboard that has just suffered repairable damage to the female side of the "W" joint. I am pretty hard on my gear and I am trying to decide on whether to replace the split twin tip with either the kitelement or nobile options.
Thanks

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSun Aug 11, 19 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

I own the Noible and it's a solid board. I did get to check my buddys kite element and would still stick with the NHP split! It's a way better tool less design.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 12, 19 11:23 pm     Reply with quote

I meant to post this April first but forgot.

split crop.jpg 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 13, 19 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

^^^ How?

johnnyp

Since 20 Sep 2018
23 Posts

PostMon Apr 27, 20 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Any strong feelings on the carbon (re-solve) vs regular (re-volt) kiteelement boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: