Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

14m Rally vs 13m Turbine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 16, 17 10:28 am    14m Rally vs 13m Turbine Reply with quote

14m Rally vs 13m Turbine
What is the bar pressure difference, does anyone know?
Any general thoughts also?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 18, 17 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

This is about the 2017 13m Turbine. I see for 2018 SS eliminated Turbines smaller than 13m. I don't know if they changed the design of the 13m. the 13m and smaller Turbines were a different design than the 15m and larger.

To compare the 13m Turbine and 14m Rally: Totally different kites. I can't remember much about the bar pressure on the 13m Turbine. That said: The 14m Rally is an outstanding light wind kite, the 13m Turbine needs more wind to fly and relaunch but is incredibly powerful and rips you off the water more like a C kite of old.

the 13m Turbine is NOT a beginner kite. Relaunch is difficult below 12 knots but if you want to boost to the moon in 13 - 15 knots it is your kite, especially if you're 200+ pounds. I did not like it with a foil. It is not a good lightwind kite. With a twin tip though, it will put an ear to ear grin on your face if you have 13 knots or better. I loved the feel of it just ripping you off the water and going up like a jet fighter. Very forgiving of technique for boosting; just send it and fly. Very stable, tends to stay where you put it. I would love to see a three strut 13m Turbine with the same design as the 2012 17m Turbine. THAT would be an incredible lightwind foil kite.

The 14m Rally relaunches exceptionally well with even 8 or 9 knots of wind. Very smooth and predictable. Very nice for foiling once you are getting the hang of foiling. As a rank beginner, it's a bit of a hand full foiling because it doesn't stay where you put it without supervision. It starts to fall to one side or the other as soon as you stop paying attention to it. I never noticed this with a twin tip, because I had plenty of concentration to spare. As a beginner foiler it was annoying because it would slide off to the side while I was putting 100% of my attention trying to get up on the foil. Once I got better foiling, it stopped being an issue. My last ride on the 14m rally and my foil was outstanding. About 10 knots in Kailua bay. The wind was fan steady and it was just phenomenal.

I know you didn't ask, but the 12m SST was outstanding when I rode it in about 12 knots with a foil. Put it at 12, let go of the bar, and it just stays there while you dink with whatever. Drifts downwind superbly. Stays in the air in very light lulls. When the lull is just too deep, it gently drops to the side and relaunches like a dream. I haven't been able to ride it in anything lighter than about 12; I've been on the injured list since the beginning of August.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 19, 17 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I might buy the 13Turbine and compare it to my 14m. Then sell the kite I don't like. I go from the SST in 6,8 and 10m directly to the 14m Rally. I have no problem with this spread, excepted the 14m when overpowered has more bar pressure then I like. The 12m SST is interesting, but I'd like to have a larger gap in size from my 10m. (The SST kite are 100% rock on) Last year I had the 15m Turbine, really good kite but was not an up wind kite. I should just shut up and buy the 13m and try it out. Nothing like first hand experience compared to reading reviews. Thanks for the info.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 20, 17 2:02 am     Reply with quote

I have a 12m SST and a 14m Rally, and I had a 13m Turbine. The 12m SST will definitely give you a better spread than the 13m Turbine; the SST will have a better bottom end than the Turbine, unless they changed the design of the 13m for 2018. It really doesn't even matter what you weigh, the 13m Turbine just doesn't fly well at or below 10 knots, the 12m SST does. On the other hand, if you're looking for boosting performance in the mid teens you'll want the Turbine. It rapidly gains power above 11 knots.

Have you moved the rear pigtails to the farthest aft position on your Rally?

Edited to add: I wonder if the 2018 13m Turbine has the same design as the bigger Turbines now? If it does it would be a whole different story...

To bad

Since 01 May 2017
24 Posts

PostTue Apr 10, 18 8:23 pm    Light wind kite Rally vs Turbine Reply with quote

To
Last edited by To bad on Sun Apr 29, 18 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 11, 18 9:30 am     Reply with quote

With three days on my new 13 Turbine (2018) and loving it. I really liked the 14 Rally but this 13m Turbine is better. I feel the 13m Turbine feels more like a Rally than the 14m. The 14m cups the wind, more low end power but does not go upwind as well. Also, I think the 13m is faster, more depower and easier when overpowered conditions. This is the item I was really looking for, better overpowered ability. The 14m was just not as good in the 20mph wind. Note that I go from 6,8,10 SST to this 13m Turbine. Past kites have been the 15m Turbine and this last year the 14m Rally. I feel the 14m Rally is identical to the 15m Turbine. One would need to fly the 15m back to back with the 14m in order to tell the difference.

I feel the 13m Turbine is like a Rally in that there is a massive amount of depower, handles gusty, over powered conditions really well, flys high and goes up wind. But please note for all my smaller sizes, my love is the SST. I now have the best setup I could ever wish for. Note that the SST does not compare to the Rally. I use to be a Rally kite guy, but I've seen the light and converted.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 11, 18 9:57 am     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
With three days on my new 13 Turbine (2018) and loving it. I really liked the 14 Rally but this 13m Turbine is better. I feel the 13m Turbine feels more like a Rally than the 14m. The 14m cups the wind, more low end power but does not go upwind as well. Also, I think the 13m is faster, more depower and easier when overpowered conditions. This is the item I was really looking for, better overpowered ability. The 14m was just not as good in the 20mph wind. Note that I go from 6,8,10 SST to this 13m Turbine. Past kites have been the 15m Turbine and this last year the 14m Rally. I feel the 14m Rally is identical to the 15m Turbine. One would need to fly the 15m back to back with the 14m in order to tell the difference.

I feel the 13m Turbine is like a Rally in that there is a massive amount of depower, handles gusty, over powered conditions really well, flys high and goes up wind. But please note for all my smaller sizes, my love is the SST. I now have the best setup I could ever wish for. Note that the SST does not compare to the Rally. I use to be a Rally kite guy, but I've seen the light and converted.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the share.

As you get more sessions on it, let us know what you feel the usable wind range is. I have a similar 6/8/10 setup as you, but then I go to a 12m Rally. I'm fine with that, but if I could get the same wind range but more performance (12R vs 13T) it'd be an interesting mix.

I had heard indeterminate reviews on the 2017 Turbine 13 so decided to stick with the Rally for my large kite, which has been a solid platform for years. And as much as I love my SSTs, which I get back on the Rally the long glides are soooo fun.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 11, 18 10:12 am     Reply with quote

For the 13m Turbine, not sure of the low end with my surf board since all my time has been with much higher wind. The 13m and my 10m overlap, in that the 13m is easily managed in 19-20 mph wind. Please note that I was also comfortable going from 10m to 15m but after looking at my statistics, days / wind / location, 13m was more appropriate.

Chaka

Since 11 Apr 2018
5 Posts
North portland
Kook

PostWed Apr 11, 18 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

After talking with slingshot... The 2018 13m turbine is now the same kite as its larger brothers (15m,17m). The 2017 13m turbine and smaller kites are completely different and should have carried a different name.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 11, 18 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Just looked at my 13m Turbine bag, I have the 2017

To bad

Since 01 May 2017
24 Posts

PostWed Apr 11, 18 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies
Last edited by To bad on Sat Apr 28, 18 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostTue Apr 24, 18 11:40 am    My experience with the Rally 2017 14 mtr. Reply with quote

Well first off I ran it on 10 meter lines and it was like right in my face. So after that fiasco I rigged the slingy reccomended bar, big one with long lines and it was awesome.
Seriously a great kite. It's massive but it's predictable and has a smooth power curve.
I've flown the RPM 14mtr. the Rally 14mtr. but never the Turbine 14 mtr. I have flown the 17 turbine and I felt like I was in a slow motion movie, but that cause I'm spoiled and get to fly smaller kites most days.

Anyways, 14mtr. Rally is a great low wind day saver if you're in Maui or a body of water with light to 15mph winds.

It's a session savior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: