Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Viento State Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Sep 28, 17 8:23 pm    Viento State Park Reply with quote

I talked with the Park Manager for Viento State Park today. He will try to get it opened for day use in a few weeks. Pray for rain for containment of the Eagle Creek Fire. It grew another 1000 acres yesterday. Probably more today.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 29, 17 1:43 pm    Re: Viento State Park Reply with quote

rePete wrote:
It grew another 1000 acres yesterday. Probably more today.

Wait, say what!?!?!?!

Am I reading this incorrectly?

www.Purestokesports.com

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri Sep 29, 17 6:24 pm    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5584/ Reply with quote

Daily Update
Eagle Creek Fire
September 28, 2017 - 9:00 a.m.
Fire Information: 541-392-1632 (8 a.m.-8 p.m.)
eaglecreekfire2017@gmail.com
Approximate Fire Size: 48,831 acres
Approximate Fire Containment: 46%

Summary:
An infra-red flight was flown last night which showed minimal areas of active fire, none of which posed a threat to containment, but that continue to produce smoke that can be seen. With additional data analysis a more precise acreage estimate has been established at 48,831 acres.

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostSat Sep 30, 17 7:37 am     Reply with quote

Just passing on what the Viento State Park manager told me. We had several days of dry east winds and the fire is less than 50% contained.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 30, 17 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

rePete wrote:
Just passing on what the Viento State Park manager told me. We had several days of dry east winds and the fire is less than 50% contained.

Sorry for the comment, was caught off guard as to how large the burn still is at this moment.

Also, very much appreciate the Viento update. Had been meaning to call down there this week, as Viento is my regular 'go to' kiting spot in the Fall.

Thanks again rePete!

www.Purestokesports.com

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Oct 01, 17 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Also a good east wind spot in the winter. I think I got like 50 days there one winter. 60 mph at rooster means the steadiest 10 m wind you will ever kite in the gorge. You will however be freezing in the 38 degree water and freezing wind. I imagine with foiling now you hardly ever would fall in.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 03, 17 10:10 am     Reply with quote

I am not in touch with the park supervisors and they are having a meeting this Wednesday to discuss reopening certain closed areas, and will contact me as soon as they have a good idea about how they would like to handle Viento.

It was a good communication, and might hopefully re-open some discussions for launch improvments that were left unfinished from a couple of years ago.

www.Purestokesports.com

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostTue Oct 03, 17 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Might as well chip in the news that Weatherflow will be installing a new weather station on Marker 28 sometime in mid October. Normally I'd wait and announce the network addition until after we are collecting data but since there is a "Viento State Park" thread I figured I'd make an exception.

We've got the USCG permissions, the equipment in stock and a boat ride lined up. No guarantees on how well this new site will reflect wind speeds vs. where you actually ride but we figured it was worth a try.

- Stuart

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 03, 17 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

that_guy_stu wrote:
Might as well chip in the news that Weatherflow will be installing a new weather station on Marker 28 sometime in mid October. Normally I'd wait and announce the network addition until after we are collecting data but since there is a "Viento State Park" thread I figured I'd make an exception.

We've got the USCG permissions, the equipment in stock and a boat ride lined up. No guarantees on how well this new site will reflect wind speeds vs. where you actually ride but we figured it was worth a try.

- Stuart

A station at Viento will be much appreciated by anyone planning a downwinder - especially the SUP and Kite people!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 03, 17 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Can any foil folks who use Viento on easterilies chip in about submerged hazards to one's foil,self launching etc?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 03, 17 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
that_guy_stu wrote:

- Stuart

A station at Viento will be much appreciated by anyone planning a downwinder - especially the SUP and Kite people!

I will be soooooooo stoked to have a Viento location for wind!!!!

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: