Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - Maintaining good relations at Lyle
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 14, 17 8:39 pm    CGKA - Maintaining good relations at Lyle Reply with quote

We've received some comments asking us to communicate to the greater gorge kiting community regarding people kiteboarding in the river mouth (below the sandbar)at Lyle.

The fishing community and native americans, along with the Lyle community have all expressed interest in working with the kite community on the future access developments at the Lyle Sandbar, but it is contingent only upon the kite community agreeing to remain on the upwind side of the sandbar.
Most kiters abide by this agreement, and understand that it is imperative we remain a desired partner in future positive access changes.

It is important to note that right now, it is peak fishing season and many people have been waiting all summer to for this.
Having kiteboarders ride en mass in their longtime fishing area (Lyle is historically an important fishing spot for over a hundred years) is not one of their favorite things, and can very effectively ruin a persons fishing chances and experience.
**This is the same for the White Salmon. Please steer clear of fishing boats.

So, can we all help each other out at Lyle? (yes, I know, we never name this place, but with future changes afoot....)
If you see others riding or planning on riding in the river mouth, please speak up to them (politely!) and mention to them our desire to not interfere with other river users and their needs for us to steer clear of the river mouth/downwind side of the sandbar.

We know policing our peers can be a pain, but who better to get the point across to a local kiter.

Thank you
Your friendly local CGKA Representatives

Nevo

PostThu Sep 14, 17 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Someone needs to formally reach out to World Class Academy. They've been filling the mouth of the river with 2-3 vans full of kids every day I've been there recently. Even when fisherman were present, resulting in the mouth becoming unfishable.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Sep 15, 17 6:48 am     Reply with quote

Any plan of action for those who have voiced their intent to kite in the river mouth no matter what?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 15, 17 7:48 am    Fisherman can get ornery. See Carpus Snagglus Reply with quote

I expect the offenders will win several large sinkers and a big treble hook.

Blaine

Since 06 Aug 2010
96 Posts

PostFri Sep 15, 17 8:05 am    World Class Update Reply with quote

Hello nwkite community! I am the head coach at World Class and was unaware of the restricted area. I apologize for being unaware and we will no longer be allowing our students to ride in the mouth. I would like to thank all the people who reached out to me with direct messages. I am all about maintaining access and gaining more.

Nevo

PostFri Sep 15, 17 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Blaine!

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 15, 17 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Not too be a d!@$ But once on the water isn't it public right of way? Whomever and wherever you may be?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 15, 17 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

K4L wrote:
Not too be a d!@$ But once on the water isn't it public right of way? Whomever and wherever you may be?

You kind of are with that comment Wink

If it was purely about right of way and rules than Lyle sandbar would be closed to us and then good luck getting on the water to exercise your right of way.

It is about being a "good neighbor" and playing along with other users of the Lyle sandbar area toward better access for everyone.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 15, 17 1:23 pm    Respect Reply with quote

The kiteboard community is trying to gain legal access to the Lyle sandbar.

The Native Americans and those attempting to catch fish don't appreciate guy in the sky boosting from the epic flat water at the mouth of the Klickitat.

Popcorn

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 15, 17 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

We'd like to think that everyone wants to work together for the long haul with the access at Lyle and all of our other launch spots.

In case there are any kiters out there who mistakenly think that these launch sites basically popped into existence out of thin air, they should understand that each and every kite launch spot along the greater gorge corridor and all the way out to Three Mile Canyon has a kiteboard representative or small community of people that annually work with the local county, state or parks departments to ensure that we maintain safe and reasonable access to the river. Same goes with having to communicate with the railroads, River Keepers, and Gorge Commission, all who have a stake in river access and maintenance.

It usually only takes a few people who don't care enough about the future of these launch areas and are more concerned about their own personal momentary needs to screw things up, throw a tantrum for being told to not do what they are doing, and then leaving a mess or awkward relationship reconstruction project for the local kiters who care.

Most who ask the 'well, what if I just go ahead and do whatever I want to for myself', they already know the answer and are likely willing to gamble and then leave if they don't get their way.
Not a good part of our recreational area, but because we get so many tourists, it is a fact of life that some people are just basically dicks. Luckily we have very good people locally who are there to pick up the pieces and make things right again.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to whether or not you were raised to become a positive part of the community, or choose to be a negative part of the community.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostFri Sep 15, 17 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

I agree that acknowledging and working with other entities sharing kiteboarding access sites is important, but it's theoretical at best that salmon returning to their native river would be turned back by non-aggressive surface craft in the open water of the Columbia River more than the high waterfalls just upstream in the Klickitat Narrows where fishermen on stands built right over the falls swing nets at them.
Sometimes you need to compromise, but sometimes you also need to call BS.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 15, 17 5:42 pm    Look Out ! Reply with quote

Have you ever been on kite beach or on the water when you see this large overhead shadow and get a certain feeling there is a kite coming your way ? I am not a fish but in that moment the last thing on my mind is eating a hook disguised as a fingerling . I would think above the water activity affects catching / netting fish . No ?

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 15, 17 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Doesn't matter even one little tiny bit whether or not kiting has any effect on salmon fishing in the mouth of the Klik. What matters is that it's a show stopper for the stakeholders there. "Call BS" as a previous poster suggests and the negotiations are over and access is lost.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 15, 17 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Doesn't matter even one little tiny bit whether or not kiting has any effect on salmon fishing in the mouth of the Klik. What matters is that it's a show stopper for the stakeholders there. "Call BS" as a previous poster suggests and the negotiations are over and access is lost.

This.

We haven't suffered the beach closures that other areas around the world have, so a lot of people don't believe it can happen. It can. We are the least powerful user group on the river, by a really large margin. If we piss off other user groups, we could lose not just beach access, but river access. Don't believe for a second that we can't. Sure, under present laws and regulations we can't--but laws and regulations can be changed. Who do you think will have public sympathy: Native Americans exercising treaty granted fishing rights; or a bunch of privileged guys screwing up that fishing when they could ride anywhere else? (The Public won't know or care about "flat water".)

This isn't just a Lyle issue either. We have yet to have an area closed to kiteboarding in our neck of the woods. Once it happens once, it's a lot easier to do elsewhere. It is not an exaggeration to say that riding the mouth of the Klickitat during fishing windows threatens kiteboarding across Oregon and Washington. Please, let's not start down that slippery slope.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Sep 16, 17 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Nak,

Well said above!

Windstoked wrote:
but it's theoretical at best that salmon returning to their native river would be turned back by non-aggressive surface craft in the open water of the Columbia River more than the high waterfalls just upstream in the Klickitat Narrows where fishermen on stands built right over the falls swing nets at them.
Sometimes you need to compromise, but sometimes you also need to call BS.

Natural selection (millions of years) of salmon favors those who avoid overhead predators such as diving birds (like sea gulls and others) and raptors (like eagles). The salmon weariest of overhead shadows survived. The fish who thought "gee that is just a non-aggressive surface craft, so I am still cool think about eating", are long gone.

But this is a battle of emotions, not facts. If you can somehow convince those looking at their emotional (citing tradition, family, tribal, or even economic) views on this issue to accommodate kiters before themselves, I applaud you. I would, however, bet against you having success in this endeavor.

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 16, 17 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Nak,

Well said above!

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 16, 17 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
privileged

Enjoy the privilege of an Honorary fishook, sir.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: