Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pics from Sunday Downwinder at South Jetty
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 18, 05 3:02 pm    Pics from Sunday Downwinder at South Jetty Reply with quote

We arrived at north Seaside beach midmorning Sunday for some light wind play in the small surf and flat water kiting in the rivermouth. Then, as the winds picked up, the boys rode a downwinder from South Jetty to Shipreck lit on their 9 meters in beautiful head high surf. Enjoy the amateur shots. Very Happy

PS: Here's a couple pictures of the new Crossbow with Amery riding a surfboard.

Dax enjoying the inside.
 Dax enjoying the inside.  phil.panoramic.mini.JPG 
Alien spaceship
 Alien spaceship  crossbow.mini.JPG 
Amery headin' out to the head highs on a surf board.
 Amery headin' out to the head highs on a surf board.  amery.surf.sesh.mini.JPG 
Surfin' with the Crossbow.
 Surfin' with the Crossbow.  amery.surf.2.mini.JPG 
Kite city in the surf!!
 Kite city in the surf!!  kite.city.mini.JPG 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jul 18, 05 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

OK, here we go...more fuel for Fo-saftey. Dax when will you learn?!

Seriously, nice pics! I hadn't seen what the Crossbow was all about. Looks pretty funky.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 19, 05 6:45 am     Reply with quote

Here's some more from Sunday... awesome day when you are in a shorty on a 9m doing a downwinder in (just barely) overhead waves.

Thanks to Bettyboarder for pics (we'll have to take some of your extreme body dragging and "board offs" next time.) Wink

Downwinders are fun!
 Downwinders are fun!  downwinder.jpg 
Waves are fun!
 Waves are fun!  waves.jpg 
Ever heard of the Legend of the "Two Dans"?
 Ever heard of the Legend of the "Two Dans"?  two-dans.jpg 
"Disco Stu knows how to kiteboard. Ooh yeah!"
 "Disco Stu knows how to kiteboard. Ooh yeah!"  disco-stu.jpg 
Tonya sends it on the Hein 124.
 Tonya sends it on the Hein 124.  tonya_boosts.jpg 
Danimal gettin ready for a sesh on the "Escalade."
 Danimal gettin ready for a sesh on the "Escalade."  danimal.jpg 

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostTue Jul 19, 05 7:03 am     Reply with quote

The 'bow looks bad to the bone. Just when we thought Cabrinha was stuck in the '90s... BAM! The '90s are cool again. Bridals are the new "black"! Trust me, instead of kiting, I sit here at this computer all day long, and watch trends. That kite is going to make your $1000 North feel like a blue tarp with strings! All you bitches buy the 'bow. Its the best kite you've ever flown, or Ill personally take it off your hands... guaranteed.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 19, 05 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Sweet pics Bettyboarder and thanks to Dax - I'm hooked on the Hein board, it's like riding on a cloud...gotta get me one of em' in pink. Laughing

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostTue Jul 19, 05 7:22 pm    shorty suits at the coaast Reply with quote

great pics and most seem to be in short wet suits...is that the norm or was it a rare day...coming down tomorrow for 2 days .....

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 19, 05 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Coastercoe: Yeah, we lucked out with 85-90 degrees, sun, and plenty of steady wind. Somewhat rare combo. I'd bring the full suit and hope for "shorty weather" when you are here.

Here's another shot from the weekend. Cheers, Tonski Smile

Could this be the mysterious wind god shining down?
 Could this be the mysterious wind god shining down?  wind.god.mini.JPG 

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostTue Jul 19, 05 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

thanks ....looking forward to it. Plan on doing the beach at mazanita...from the pics, are you guys going from the jetty in warrenton down to seaside....9-10 miles?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 20, 05 5:52 am     Reply with quote

coastercoe wrote:
thanks ....looking forward to it. Plan on doing the beach at mazanita...from the pics, are you guys going from the jetty in warrenton down to seaside....9-10 miles?

Naw S. Jetty to Shipwreck. Seaside was earlier in the day. Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 20, 05 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Excellent pics. Makes me want to drop everything and go to the coast right now.

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jul 20, 05 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Downwinders in the surf is the only way to go. It's really easy to shuttle cars or hitch-hike up the beach on the whole stretch between Del Ray and the Peter Iredale. I was there last week Thursday, and it was great. Nothing but downwinders all afternoon. By the way, the Seaside/Sunset/Astoria stretch isn't the only good spot for downwinders. There are plenty of other places where there is good beach access close to Hwy 101, and it's easy to hitch-hike when you're wearing a wetsuit. The Oregon Coast rules!

Spencer

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jul 20, 05 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Shorties are treat on the Oregon coast...until you breakdown on the outside. Brrrrr.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 22, 05 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Fairly stunned to see shorties on the Coast. Never, ever seen that. I get mocked for wearing a 4/3. 5/4 Hotlines seem to be the norm.

Like the man said, it's all good until you gotta go for a swim. Even a normal "fall, recover board" scenario sounds cold in a shortie. I guess if you're inside you can do a quick body drag in and wait for the board to wash up, but if you're outside bobbing in the swell.... ouch, hard nipples.

Stay safe you guys. A windsurfer died this past weekend in Florence, apparently from taking a boom to the head.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 22, 05 10:12 am     Reply with quote

PJC, it was about 85-90 degrees with no clouds in sight. The ocean was actually pretty warm, believe it or not - much warmer than the rivermouth. As for shorties, I think most of the guys just had a neoprene top and swimtrunks. Gotta take advantage of the rare scorcher on the beach when it's there. Laughing

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Jul 22, 05 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Im with pjc. If you have ever been in the ocean for more than 5 min with not enough rubber on it becomes dangerous very fast. even a 'warm' oregon coast ocean is only 60 degrees.

I have always followed the old saying 'dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature'.

my dit bit.

ryan

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 22, 05 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Bah you guys are no fun... I say go naked and overpowered in double overhead with your handlepass leash clipped to your nutsack. Thumb's Up

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Jul 28, 05 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

so funny how you all think that you are going big in seaside ,,,, when ive seen little kids go bigger on flat concrete........ yours truly the river mouth local...... by the way .do you know the true meaning of keeping a fun spot quite....guess not .. please stay away if you dont have any respect for the ones who actually live here 24hrs a day...... p.s. tonsky is that all you got ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: