Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil both kitesurfing and surfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostSat Jun 24, 17 9:04 am    Foil both kitesurfing and surfing? Reply with quote

I'm wondering something specific: is there a single hydrofoil board I could buy that I'd be happy kitingsurfing with---that I could also paddle into waves with without a kite (foil still attached)?

I normally ride pretty short surfboards 5'2", 5'6"...so I'm not worried if its short. I guess I'm just wondering if the foil and board shapes overlap across disciplines, or if they're really specific.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Jun 24, 17 9:38 am     Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you will at least have to buy a couple different wings. Surfing foils have to lift at a lower speed so the foils are different than kiting foils. My brother is developing the North foils and I asked him the same question. Supposedly north is going to offer three different wings for kiting, surfing and downwind standup paddling. They are supposedly only 859 for one setup then you can buy the other extra wings.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2017-north-speedster-combo-foil-set/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9Wb7i6l_t4GGEHjq7S7mRfvhhfnwacKw7hP0h0vPQfVzxoCQfDw_wcB

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostSat Jun 24, 17 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Interesting thanks, makes sense. I was hoping there might be an 'all around' solution.

With respect to what North is doing--you mean it is one board with three different interchangeable foils for different sports?

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Jun 24, 17 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, you use the same mast and strut, different wing. I think if you get the kite one now, you can get the new wings as they come out. I heard it will be in the next 6 months. I am getting the surfing one for sure.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 24, 17 10:33 am     Reply with quote

For paddle surfing you want large wings to provide lift at slower speeds.
For kiting you want smaller wings with less lift because you're moving faster.
As far as boards go - Slingshot has modified one of their specific boards to accept a foil....you'd need 2 sets of wings.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/Converter-54#.WU6whfkrLDc

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostSat Jun 24, 17 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
Yeah, you use the same mast and strut, different wing. I think if you get the kite one now, you can get the new wings as they come out. I heard it will be in the next 6 months. I am getting the surfing one for sure.

Oh, just the wing. Very cool I had no idea!

ldhr wrote:
For paddle surfing you want large wings to provide lift at slower speeds.
For kiting you want smaller wings with less lift because you're moving faster.

When you say paddle surfing you mean regular surfing, not SUP, right?

Thanks for the advice and links.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 24, 17 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Sup or normal surfing can use similar or same foils. No hiking out or big chop so shorter mast (also less chance of foil hitting you above legs in a fall). Bigger wing for takeoff on waves or swel.

People are digging the aguera gofoil and the takuma foil for kiting on waves more in the pocket instead of way in front or on shoulder like normal kitefoils do. Also good for learning to kitefoil from what I hear. I started with a ride on slingshot flight school -- that's good too.

Basically for surf and SUP or slow, on the wave kiting apparently you want a wing twice as big and twice as thick as a normal "large" kitefoil. Trade off is max speed is ~20 instead of ~30, or ~40 for race gear...

If you are a proficient shortboarder and fearless of foiling in strong waves you could use anything but a few extra liters volume like help. For a "mere mortal" trying it. 1-3' waves I would try baked potato in fairly big size with a takuma or gofoil.

Maybe I will do this myself if I find that chest of gold coins I misplaced...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 26, 17 8:25 am     Reply with quote

I know a guy who had a tuttle box put in his kite construction vanguard, it's his 1 board quiver for surf or foiling.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostMon Jun 26, 17 10:47 am     Reply with quote

bwd wrote:
Sup or normal surfing can use similar or same foils. No hiking out or big chop so shorter mast (also less chance of foil hitting you above legs in a fall). Bigger wing for takeoff on waves or swel.

There's a ton of great info from you guys thanks. I'm learning there might not be a perfect single-board quiver because surf foils have shorter mast and bigger wings to plane at lower speeds, whereas kiting specific is basically the opposite.

The idea that North might release a single system with interchangeable wings is tempting but then I'd have to wait a bit.

Slappysan wrote:
I know a guy who had a tuttle box put in his kite construction vanguard, it's his 1 board quiver for surf or foiling.

That's really interesting though...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: