Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New to the NW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
AndrewZay

Since 22 Nov 2016
2 Posts

PostTue Nov 22, 16 10:43 am    New to the NW Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Mount Vernon Washington for my job.
We have kited for 4 years and moved here from Texas but I grew up surfing in santa cruz. Cold water isn't a problem but we are having a hard time finding out where to go near where we live. We have been looking online at a lot of videos and the pskite website seems that no one really uses it anymore? We have been told Padilla bay can be good but we can't find any other kiters going there?
Also can anyone tell us where this video is exactly? We located useless bay but this looks like a small rivermouth or something? Where is the access? Is there a launching beach?? Looks very LOGGY. Dangerous?? Looks like it was just posted so we are hoping it is a winter time spot?

https://vimeo.com/192491315

Andrew and Alyssa

lordjc

Since 14 Sep 2016
58 Posts

PostTue Nov 22, 16 11:02 am     Reply with quote

There is a fb group.
Northwest Kiteboarders, its pretty active.
Locust and DB up your way this time of year.
Beach info is alson on pskite.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 22, 16 11:15 am    Welcome to the PNW! Reply with quote

Try calling Urban surf in Seattle for some 411. (206) 545-9463

Or pm Stringy on this website as he used to live up there and knows all the haunts. And word has it there is a fB webpage, although I've never been on it.

Sounds like a big kite is in your future (17m). . .Jetty Island.

jiberus

PostTue Nov 22, 16 11:26 am     Reply with quote

You are in a great spot. Easy access to Locust in Bellingham that has tons of windy days all year. Google NSKA (North Sound Kiteboarding Association) for a reletevly active group with folks that are happy to give you the scoop on the area launches. That would be the best way to get to know the sites near you.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 22, 16 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

hey andrew, the video looks like it was taken at double bluff state park.
great spot on whidbey island. you're about 90 minutes away if you drive up through the island, which btw is a great scenic drive. you can do a search on pskite for more info on double bluff. there are awlays a group of kiters there when its blowing. mostly southerly driven systems, no northerly kiting there. there are a couple other spots on the island that are stellar. also bay view is pretty close to you but this is tide dependent. hunter is a great summertime spot. in the winter it is common to use your whole quiver
if I were you I would connect with the north sound kiters. you are gonna hit locust since you will be less than an hour from that awesome spot. welcome to the NW

http://www.nskite.com/

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostTue Nov 22, 16 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah ... what he said! haa
You are in for a treat man. Its fun here. Get a good wetsuit. Helmet for some sketchy spots. Winter kiting mostly.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostSun Dec 04, 16 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Andrew, sent you a PM. Were you the Naish kite out last Wednesday or Thurs by yourself? At Double Bluff. I found a sweathshirt and neoprene gloves that may have been yours.
Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: