Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Update from the meeting for Lyle access.
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 29, 16 8:54 am    Update from the meeting for Lyle access. Reply with quote

- Meeting went well - overwhelming support from Lyle citizens.
- focus on making this about recreation for all users, not just kite boarding.
- acknowledgement that they can't stop kiters from coming - need to make the parking and road crossings safe.
- Good turnout from kiters, Lyle locals, and Lyle fishermen including Yakima tribe.
- We don’t have a clear direction for the next action steps, but the conversation has started with the right people.
- Solution most talked about is a walkway attached to the undersides of the bridges, not a tunnel.
- Options for parking lots were not discussed.
- Fishermen are upset about kiters at the mouth of the Klickitat river - they think it stresses and disturbs the Salmon and Steelhead that migrate up the Klickitat river. They've been fishing at the mouth for 70 years and they are adamant that kiters ruin the fishing at the mouth.
Fishermen seemed to be agreeable to a compromise - kiters and other users stay on the west side of the sandbar and stay away from the east side.
- Fisherman have been fishing at the east end of the sandbar under the railroad bridge for 70 years. They are concerned that they would lose this spot if a walkway is constructed under the bridge. Everyone agreed this needs to be addressed
and mitigated.
- CGKA gave perspective on what makes Lyle popular with kiters - clean wind, one of 3 user friendly launches available between Stevenson and Maryhill.
- CGKA summarized the petition and the large support from the kite community - including the comments from kiters who want to spend their money in Lyle.

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Sep 29, 16 9:22 am     Reply with quote

Wasn't able to make it to this meeting (now live in CA) but was just up in the area to kite earlier this summer. Thanks to everyone who went to the meeting and is working to get this access legal and safe.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Sep 29, 16 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Nice recap Laird.

My 2 cent takeaway was David Sauter did a great job at the meeting educating and setting expectations for the lengthy process ahead. He was pleased by the attitude and support in the room to move forward with an engineering study to present all vested parties with an under the bridge access scenario to get conversations started. There are multiple options for access but under the bridge seems the front runner for safety and ultimately acceptance.

Another interesting take away is the difference now, compared to 2009 efforts, is Lyle has local, state and national level contacts in the right positions to assist. What this means is funding the project was not as much a concern as gaining the approval of all parties involved. Fantastic news for user groups because it doesn't place the entire burden on volunteer shoulders, as in past.

Every potential user group should rally hard for Lyle access at every opportunity to prove there is a love for Lyle. Thumb's Up Spread the word.

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostThu Sep 29, 16 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Given today's political environment, it was incredibly refreshing to see a productive public discussion with so many competing perspectives all focused on a common good/solution.
Thanks to all for the representation.
Also, next time you are out, take some time and head east when you're done and stop by one of the many fine establishments in town. The more interaction, the better.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 29, 16 8:48 pm    Re: Update from the meeting for Lyle access. Reply with quote

cgka wrote:

- Fishermen are upset about kiters at the mouth of the Klickitat river - they think it stresses and disturbs the Salmon and Steelhead that migrate up the Klickitat river.

This is a point that I feel requires serious visibility and consideration.

Both a local fisherman as well as a native fisherman were initially quite concerned about the potential project.

The local fisherman was concerned that a ramp might block the currently utilized fishing spots by the bridge. The native fisherman felt very strongly that kitesurfers are affecting fishing by kiting in the shallow waters at the mouth of the Klickitat.

Many kiters expressed interest in finding solutions that meet everybody's desires.

It was expressed that as a community we would attempt to inform our fellow kiters that kiting in the mouth of the Klickitat is believed to have a negative impact upon the number of fish that travel from the Columbia up the Klicikitat river. This positive response to the concerns on the table changed the feeling in the room. In the end everybody seemed to be on board with working together to strive towards a solution that worked for all.

It was suggested that most kiters would prefer to kite west of the Sandbar thus would not enter the mouth of the Klickitat.

In the event you choose to kite at Lyle I suggest you consider staying out of the mouth of the Klickitat.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 30, 16 6:36 am     Reply with quote

I think the salmon are more stressed and disturbed when they find a hook at the end of their dinner, and then get killed

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 30, 16 6:57 am    metal catwalk Reply with quote

from an engineering perspective it could be a simple project. A metal catwalk similar to Beacon Rock's could pass under both bridges.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Sep 30, 16 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Nice contribution windski....kudos to those putting their time and energy into such a great effort!! Outcome of meeting seems very encouraging

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 30, 16 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Sorry
Thank you to everyone working on this project !!!!
Very Happy

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 30, 16 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Again - thank you to all the guys who are spending your time and energy working on this.

No kite surfers in the mouth of the Klickitat? That one will be a tough one for the boot wearing flat water tricksters...

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Sep 30, 16 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

From all my years kiting the mouth of the klickitat, I always found that the fisherman will let you know if they are fishing right there and would prefer you move on. They are usually in a boat or right along the bank, so easy to spot. Not sure if kiters scare the fish. I have seen 20 caught right in front of me while kiting there for a few hours,and have also been told to not kite there by fishermen in boats. Banning kiting that side seems a shame but understandable if kiters and fisherman don't communicate on the spot.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 30, 16 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

To get unrestricted access to the Lyle sandbar, the kiting community needs to give a little to get this site open. Non-kiting on the East side seems the least we can do to respect the fishermen's space. This would be a huge win for kiters. Thanks Laird and Mike for your efforts!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Oct 01, 16 9:54 am     Reply with quote

There may be options regarding kiting in the mouth of the Klickitat.

The Native fisherman's opening request was for dredging the mouth of the Klickitat.

Possibly if funds could be located for dredging, concerns regarding kiting affecting the fish might be alleviated. Perhaps seasonal kite access at the river mouth might be considered.

However, I think kiters should be prepared for the option of giving up their right to kite in the mouth of the Klickitat if they want to see legal access at Lyle move forward.

My gut tells me that even with a dredging option on the table there would likely still be concerns regarding the level of impact kiting exhibits upon fish travel and spawning.

Either way, now that we know there is concern that kiting in the river mouth of the Klickitat might affect fish travel we should be responsible kiters and not kite there until further determinations towards a final plan can be pursued and developed.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Oct 01, 16 10:46 am    fishing disturbance Reply with quote

The only way to really know would be to put sonar counters in the mouth. Study the resulting data.
Expensive.
In the mean time, keep the fishermen happy.
We need them as allies.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostSun Oct 02, 16 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

This is great. Stoked to hear about the progress. And staying out of that cold river mouth for now is fine with me! Not sure about those groups who use the site though. They're pretty fun to watch, but I'd imagine they'd have trouble doing what they do on the east side.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 06, 16 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
T.......

However, I think kiters should be prepared for the option of giving up their right to kite in the mouth of the Klickitat if they want to see legal access at Lyle move forward.

My gut tells me that even with a dredging option on the table there would likely still be concerns regarding the level of impact kiting exhibits upon fish travel and spawning.

Either way, now that we know there is concern that kiting in the river mouth of the Klickitat might affect fish travel we should be responsible kiters and not kite there until further determinations towards a final plan can be pursued and developed.

If there is no actual law being broken by kiting in the mouth of the river, there is no legal authority or person (fisherman, cop or fellow kiteboarder) that has the right to stop a kite boarder from kiting in the mouth. You can expect some people to exercise that right.

If kiteboarders are granted access to the sand bar, who has the right to take it away?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 06, 16 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
bigjohn wrote:
T.......

If there is no actual law being broken by kiting in the mouth of the river, there is no legal authority or person (fisherman, cop or fellow kiteboarder) that has the right to stop a kite boarder from kiting in the mouth. You can expect some people to exercise that right.

If kiteboarders are granted access to the sand bar, who has the right to take it away?

Perhaps true words today... But Karma usually has the last say in things...

At the meeting commissioner Sauter displayed an ownership map. Ownership included all land masses (including the sand bar).

My recollection of the map showed the railroad, a government entity (can't remember the exact one any more), and the Yakima Nation as the primary land owners.

*** Edited after further consideration ***

There may not be an officer down there today handing out tickets for kiting in the mouth of the Klickitat. But there are always ways to stop bad behavior. There are always governing authorities with the ability to issue rulings to do so.

Any kiteboarder that feels they can poke the hornets nest with the powerhouses involved in discussions at Lyle will potentially cause fallout that negatively affects kiteboarding for all of us at locations far beyond Lyle.

*** End of Edit ***

Last edited by bigjohn on Thu Oct 06, 16 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: