Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

up, up and away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
83 Posts

PostSun Sep 18, 16 10:22 am    up, up and away Reply with quote

I've been getting used to and doing more jumping and sometimes, usually if it's gusty, I get up way higher than I expect. At least it feels like that. On occasion, I've ditched the board because I get nervous and I'm not sure how I'm going to land. As this is new territory, what is the best strategy in safely handling an unintentional 'super boost'?

thanks!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 18, 16 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Enjoy the ride! When my jumps end up timed with a gust it's a sweet bonus. Just remember redirect the kite hard downwind when you feel yourself reach the apex of the jump, especially since there may be a lull following the gust and you may drop a bit faster than usual. Redirecting the kite will help you land with some downwind speed to help cushion your fall. Make sure to land with you front foot/tip facing downwind.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 18, 16 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

If you had a good take-off and are still balanced
Start by just moving the kite back and forth overhead to keep control and as you drop to a more usual height redirect the kite as usual.
If you get comfortable with that, just wait and enjoy the ride and as you drop down downloop the landing. It is easier to time and gives a softer landing but it does mess with your head at first. "You want me to bring the kite DOWN towards the water to catch myself!" Yes, the kite is still above you and moving so it will give a nice soft landing.
If you missed the take-off and are off balance, wait redirect late and kick off the board late or land bent at the waist on your bottom with the board elevated.
Oh, yea, have fun with it.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 18, 16 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

Congrats - this is one of the most exciting stages of kite surfing.

So you catch a gust and are twice as high as you expected with the kite in the 12 noon position. Depending on the direction you are going you will either move the kite (redirect) the kite towards 1:30 or 10:30. This is what you need to do anyway when you are jumping so you do not pendulum under the kite (overshoot the kite) and have it Hindenburg upon you. And to keep yourself powered and planing as you land with your board pointed downwind.

If you redirect your kite and still find yourself well above the water you will have time to sweep the kite a second time from 1:30 or 10:30 back towards 12 and down again to soften the landing/maintain speed etc. etc..

Really - one of the most dangerous things in kiteboarding is come down from a landing with one foot in the strap and one foot out of the strap. So if you panic and want to bail on the whole thing make sure to kick the board off both feet decisively - then you can focus all your attention on the kite maneuvers mentioned above and come down with your toes pointed towards the water and make a big splash!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 19, 16 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Like previously stated - if you're balanced and not getting any uncontrollable rotations or anything like that, than keep you board on. Kicking the board off has some risks to it: you might end up with one foot stuck in a strap and can twist your ankle or worse on landing, if you manage to kick the board off completely there is also a chance that both you and the board will land close to each other and you'll hit it on landing. And landing without the board will be harder than landing with it. However if you're getting an uncontrollable rotation than throwing off you board might work as you could prevent a nasty wipeout especially if it looks like you're going to be landing backwards (catching a heel edge and getting slammed hard on the water surface).

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 19, 16 11:43 am     Reply with quote

Really good advice so far.

One thing I might add is sheeting out before/during the downward descent. This allows you to sheet back in at the bottom of your descent before reaching water to soften your landing.

The key to success for this is to make sure you have directed your kite to the proper direction before sheeting out (so you don't Hindenburg). You want to position your kite to have forward momentum before sheeting out. Usually this is at the apex of a jump however if you are hit with a lull you may have to do this on your downward descent.

In the event your kite momentum feels too far forward during your descent the last thing you want to do is to bring your kite back overhead (although it may feel like the right thing to do)... This will cause hard landings and broken boards. Instead follow knotywinds's advice on downlooping.

Also, if riding a surfboard (and concerned about breaking it) in the event you feel yourself coming in very hard and flat (due to an etreme lull while you are in the air) you can always lift your board up and land on your butt with your board still on your feet. Having broken many many surfboards over the years I can positively say that this technique now saves me $'s

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
83 Posts

PostTue Sep 20, 16 8:44 am     Reply with quote

thanks everyone! great things to visualize before doing the funnest thing in the world!

another thing... anyone else find it harder/more awkward to jump on their weak side?

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 20, 16 9:54 am     Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
thanks everyone! great things to visualize before doing the funnest thing in the world!

another thing... anyone else find it harder/more awkward to jump on their weak side?

Yup this is normal. Many people never learn to jump on their weak tack. Like anything it gets easier with practice.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Sep 20, 16 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

This is great stuff. I'm working on the same things- I usually end up penduluming under the kite- sounds like I'm waiting way too long to redirect. Thanks for the tips everyone.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 21, 16 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Also one handy tip I found is that if you end up waiting too long to redirect and your kite is stalling by the time you land, don't try to bring it forward - just downloop it and 99% of the time it will recover nicely. First time i did that I accidentally did a nice transition jump with the downloop Smile

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostWed Sep 21, 16 9:42 am     Reply with quote

I'll have to give that a try next time. Last time I tried to loop my kite, I tomahawked it. Mad So I haven't tried again since.

Maybe I didn't commit enough... maybe my kite is too slow? I fly a 2009 Slingshot T3 9m, I've wondered if that's just a tough one to loop?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 21, 16 9:52 am     Reply with quote

I downloop my 2014 12m Rally which is slow like a truck so you should be able to loop the T3. Just pull hard and don't let go until it completes the turn.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 21, 16 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Tidesofthesky wrote:
I'll have to give that a try next time. Last time I tried to loop my kite, I tomahawked it. Mad So I haven't tried again since.

Maybe I didn't commit enough... maybe my kite is too slow? I fly a 2009 Slingshot T3 9m, I've wondered if that's just a tough one to loop?

Grip it and rip it!!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 21, 16 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Tidesofthesky wrote:

I used to own a 2008 (I think) 11m T3. These things had a 2 to 1 bar set up that basically made the kite turn like a 747. They were slow looping.

But, you can always loop any kite.

If you feel the kite is not going to make it around simply grab the outside line and yank. This will pivot the kite around on it's axis.

Downside to this is it will temporarily stall the kite which can create difficulties if you are in the air. Eventually the kite should regain forward momentum and give you the required thrust to pull you out of your jump.

If you want to minimize the stall there are two techniques you can use to do so:
1) Use your back hand to keep the kite powered up as you are looping the kite.
2) With your front hand (the hand pulling the outside line) control your pull such that it is smooth and controlled to only turn the kite as much as required.

Best to practice while not jumping.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: