Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle Sandbar Access Meeting:Wednesday, September 28th
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jperry

Since 07 Nov 2008
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 28, 16 6:59 am     Reply with quote

You can access the sand bar when the lower bar is showing. By the Indian res. Long term goal would be get the Indians on board build a event site. Set up a bunch of schools. Better wind and more wind days here anyways.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 29, 16 7:46 am     Reply with quote

how did it go?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 29, 16 8:31 am     Reply with quote

About 50 people. Apparently, we scare the fish.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 29, 16 9:14 am     Reply with quote

jperry wrote:
You can access the sand bar when the lower bar is showing. By the Indian res. Long term goal would be get the Indians on board build a event site. Set up a bunch of schools. Better wind and more wind days here anyways.

At the meeting the Lyle locals and fishermen made it very clear that the east side of the sandbar including the mouth of the Klickitat river should be off limits for kiting.

They have a 70 year history of fishing at the mouth and this is one of the biggest issues to address in order to obtain access to the sandbar for kiting.

Let me be very clear - if people continue to kite at the mouth of the Klickitat and disturb the fish and fishing that goes on there - legal access to the sandbar for kiting will never happen.

The tribal fishermen and Lyle locals will support access to the sandbar but only if we limit kiting to the west side of the sandbar and refrain from kiting at the mouth of the Klickitat river.

I understand why the mouth is a special spot to kite - but if people continue to kite there it will be the death of kiting access at Lyle.

Same comment would apply to people who jet ski/wake ski at the mouth. Really upsets the fishermen.

Last edited by ldhr on Thu Sep 29, 16 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 29, 16 10:12 am    Be a good neighbor Reply with quote

We need a beach ambassador to help Keep peace

14446093_10208728326859734_8227409609879440072_n.jpg 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

cnett

Since 23 Aug 2010
115 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostThu Sep 29, 16 11:54 am     Reply with quote

I agree. We need to set the example and lead the way to compromise.

What are the suggestions for spreading the word to kiters to stay our of the mouth of the river (presuming they do not read this forum)? What can we do on the beach to create the right behavior aside from personal conversations and correcting kters when they go there?

Other stakeholders will have to visibly see progress and that kiting in the mouth has been reduced.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 29, 16 12:12 pm    Facebook Reply with quote

I shared the post on 2 fairly active facebook groups that frequent Lyle . There was some good interaction and I believe the point of importance got across.

One question remains, is fishing in the river and mouth year around ? or are there "seasons" ?

Stay Stoked

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostThu Sep 29, 16 3:14 pm    Re: Facebook Reply with quote

[quote="Jonpnw"

One question remains, is fishing in the river and mouth year around ? or are there "seasons" ?
[/quote]

Their feeling was February through November. I would recommend a dry suit for the winter butter.

I definitely think staying out of there will go a long way in moving this forward.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 30, 16 7:25 am     Reply with quote

The prime months that fish migrate up the Klickitat are June thru September.
Chinook Salmon and Steelhead are travelling thru and head 30 miles up the Klick.
It's a tremendous fishery.
The guys who fish at the mouth voiced the concern that when people are kiting at the mouth - their catch rate goes down to zero.
They river mouth is narrow and shallow. It doesn't take much to spook a Salmon or Steelhead and put them off their bite. Kiteboards slicing thru the water 3 feet above their heads will definitely stress and spook the fish.

BTW - the fishermen are targeting the fish that were raised in the Hatchery. They Fish and Game want these fish to be caught and harvested - that's the whole purpose of the hatchery program. Wild fish cannot be kept - if they are caught the Fishermen must release wild fish.
Hatchery fish have their adipose fin clipped - that's how to tell if a fish is wild or hatchery raised.

It doesn't have to be a Us or Them mentality when it comes to access. We can all share and play in the sandbox.... er sandbar.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostSun Oct 02, 16 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet. Glad to hear it went well.
I did notice a kiter run across the bar yesterday to talk to a beginner who was kiting in the river mouth. I figured he was going to help him since he was really struggling to keep the kite in the air. But sounds like he was letting him know that the east side is a no-go for kiting right now. I'm happy to be diplomatic- gotta compromise so we all can get something we want. The sandbar is such a great launch site. Such a relaxed atmosphere. Love it! Thanks to everyone who is putting effort into this.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 03, 16 12:33 am     Reply with quote

If we get the under bridge access, a simple sign with map and arrows posted on the walk way that depicts off limit kiting will provide all the info a kiter needs.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 03, 16 8:11 am    Fair Access Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
If we get the under bridge access, a simple sign with map and arrows posted on the walk way that depicts off limit kiting will provide all the info a kiter needs.

Regarding my post of the cat walk Under vs Over (Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:35 am):
I intentionally did not include my concerns of conflicts.

1. Signage is a must: Written statements must set the rules for
A. no kite zones
B. as well as rules of using the cat walk passage way (including human behaviors, weight restrictions etc).

C. Culture Clash” (Fisherman vs other users).
I am a member of both cultures. You can bet there will be fisherman trying to fish from the proposed structure that over hangs the water. By the nature of the sport fishing fosters a territorial atmosphere. This is exacerbated when there is a culture clash. Imagine the rigging or rods that will be attached to the cat walk structure that will pop up and be abandoned. “I was camped out here first” unfortunately will be invoked. A narrow cat walk can be an imposing and abrasive bottleneck to passage for those carpet bagging rubber suited city slickers.

1) Proof of the potential conflicts are reflected today at The Lyle Point Boat Ramp (east side of the river). Although public passage (through Native American land) on the road and usage of the sweet boat ramp is legal for all; there is a hornet’s nest power struggle in play. For example, local professional fishermen will off load their boats then leave their rigs with empty boat trailers submerged on the ramp in the water until their return later in the day. Recreational fishermen soon learn that if they are unlucky the huge boat ramp will be unusable because it is intentionally clogged by parked and locked rigs with owners nowhere in sight.

In this light I have hope. Considering the thousands of kiter/windsurfer usage days at Rufus I am forever impressed by the "Leave no trace" ethic. This is most impressive during fishing season when I am holding a garbage bag of carelessly discarded fishing line, stainless hooks, candy wrappers, etc. Dang! And these are my people too?

Defining the spirit, usage and behaviors of this new access is a huge opportunity. Let’s get ahead of the not-so fun hazards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: