Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Why do so many folks kite so close to launching spot?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 16 12:29 pm    Why do so many folks kite so close to launching spot? Reply with quote

We were at Fight Club beach east of HR on Sunday. Being Labor Day weekend, it was super busy. Couple lessons going on and some newbies thrashing around in the shallows. As I'm walking upwind with my kite in the air to get out to deeper water, I'm constantly having to watch for tricksters zipping by - both upwind and downwind of me. What's up with the obsession to ride so close to shore? I don't have a problem with this if it's not busy, but this was prime time. Seemed really unnecessary and potentially dangerous. I took a few good reaches upwind, and there was plenty of room to roam - without getting in anyone's way. On the way back in, same story - I felt like I had to watch like a hawk to get safely back to dry land without getting tangled up with some tricksters zipping by throwing big airs in 6" of water. Really fun to watch the tricksters, but I do wish they'd give the rest of us more room to get in and out. Play safe everyone!
- Bob

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Sep 06, 16 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

If they move away from people there would be no one to see them do the same tricks from the same direction over and over and over and over again.

I have noticed that the launches where tricksters trick it up happen to be smoother sailing.

Lucky for me I can mow the lawn anywhere, anytime and I like to travel.

www.freeridekiting.com

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

It's a look look what I can do thing. We all occasionally suffer from it.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Plus shallow water usually is also more flat which is definitely more fun to jump from (not taking about big nice kicker waves).

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

we call it the Paparazzi Zone!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 2:25 pm    Look at me Reply with quote

If their godlike powers ever falter they are going to pay a steep price for landing in shallow water.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 06, 16 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

Don't let our memories faulter so quick. We have already had one person life flighted off the sandbar there this year due to doing tricks in the shallows !! Gene pool will take care of itself or BnSF will if people don't pull their heads out!!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 06, 16 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

Busiest day in history on Sunday. And the better trick spot was on the ice flat river a few paces east.
I was helping a friend learn to ride (after 6 lessons). It's really the only spot on the Columbia other than Jones for this noob level. Damn frustrating waiting to set him free when some fool is doing an F-16 to Mobe or whatever 6' downwind.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 3:48 pm    Bombing Reply with quote

I posted about this last year and was told "DEAL" with it.
I vote for a shot gun on the beach with bird shot. When somebody obviously good goes back forth more then twice and does a jump you can shot their kite down.
I am only half kidding. Laughing
There was a guy doing big floaters on sunday afternoon on the north end. He was a very good kiter and was not in the way. But of course there was a camera involved.
It should get a lot less crowded now that labor day came and went. It's only going to get worse. Kiting is too easy to learn. WE NEED TO FIND MORE LEGAL LAUNCH SITES AND DEVELOPE THEM

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Busiest day in history on Sunday. And the better trick spot was on the ice flat river a few paces east.
I was helping a friend learn to ride (after 6 lessons). It's really the only spot on the Columbia other than Jones for this noob level. Damn frustrating waiting to set him free when some fool is doing an F-16 to Mobe or whatever 6' downwind.

Spot on, while I get while people jump close to shore I don't understand why they don't go below the sandbar - usually very few people there, even flatter water and enough room downwind to recover from a wipeout. Unless the only true reason is the "paparazzi" effect.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 4:13 pm    showing off Reply with quote

I can't help but wonder what the average age of the showoffs is? I guessing 24 or so. I was stupid in my twenty's. I wish more mature people had told me "YOUR NOT AS COOL AS YOU THINK YOU ARE" Took me years to figure that one out on my own.

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Nobody cares about your stupid tricks. Most just want to launch and land without any drama. Launch, and then promptly move out of the launch and landing zone. Remove your gear promptly from launch and landing zones. Help others to do this if appropriate. Be thoughtful about sequence for laying out lines, pumping up kites, and inserting yourself into neoprene/harnesses when zone is crowded (Rufus). When you're old, grumpy, and your OCD is registering on the autism scale, you'll appreciate these niceties. Did I mention, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID TRICKS, because everyone is busy watching my stupid tricks? Wave

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 16 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

There were a few folks on the downwind side of the spit in the river mouth. I've always been curious, so I kited out past the end of the spit and went in there. Aside from the water being a little colder, it was really nice flat water. I'm surprised more tricksters don't go there. Can be a much shorter hike too.

Here's a suggestion for next season:
How about a row of buoys 100 yards or so upwind of the spit to mark off an area reserved for launching & learners?

All competent kiters should stay upwind of the buoys - or go to the downwind side of the spit for flat water.

There are so few areas in the Gorge that are good for learners, seems like the kite community would benefit from carving out a little space for them. We've all been there. I had some real breakthrough sessions on that spit last season when I was struggling up the learning curve.
- Bob

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 5:01 pm    I like stoke threads better. Reply with quote

Obviously somebody enjoys the tricksters. I've never heard anyone say" Dude did you see that guy tack back and forth without falling down" Laughing

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 06, 16 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
There were a few folks on the downwind side of the spit in the river mouth. I've always been curious, so I kited out past the end of the spit and went in there. Aside from the water being a little colder, it was really nice flat water. I'm surprised more tricksters don't go there. Can be a much shorter hike too.

Here's a suggestion for next season:
How about a row of buoys 100 yards or so upwind of the spit to mark off an area reserved for launching & learners?

All competent kiters should stay upwind of the buoys - or go to the downwind side of the spit for flat water.

There are so few areas in the Gorge that are good for learners, seems like the kite community would benefit from carving out a little space for them. We've all been there. I had some real breakthrough sessions on that spit last season when I was struggling up the learning curve.
- Bob

Good luck with that wish list Bob!

Different year same story.

Bob it sounds to me that you have a "Launch War Smackdown" 2016 to me. https://vimeo.com/37276314

[url][/url][url][/url][url]

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 16 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

That video is frickin hilarious!
And timeless ...

An example of simple things we can do:
Down in Santa Barbara, we kite on a busy beach (Ledbetter Beach). We have a bunch of traffic cones stashed nearby. Whoever gets there first, puts out the cones to mark off a rigging and launching area so we have a path to the water that is not clogged by beach goers. This system works really well and has helped prevent kite mishaps that could endanger our access to the beach. Just sayin ...
- Bob

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 06, 16 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

Bob,
All well and good but... The last time I personally saw this beach so crowded was a Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. BNSF was there handing out tickets. So, any organized plan seems fraught with trouble since this beach doesn't exist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: