Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Why do so many folks kite so close to launching spot?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 06, 16 6:15 pm    If its bad now Reply with quote

If they actually ever close it down were screwed. Then where would be people go?
There is only three places to go near hood river. The event site, the wunder bar and the place east of hood river. So is anybody actively working on legalizing the place east of hood river? If cgwa can pay for a director why can't the Columbia gorge kiteboarding association ? I would think the shops, instructors and those in the industry would want more legal launches.
The only positive is if they ever close the place down we would have it to your selves.
I mean those who have jet skis.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 16 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Would be a huge shame to lose access to FCB (fight club beach). I hear the tickets are expensive (any idea how much?).

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but if there was some way to access without going over the tracks - would that satisfy BNSF? Could a Wunderbar-type setup work there (go down by the river to get under the tracks without having to cross them)? Even if a path had to be built, it would be WAY easier than trying to get a real crossing put in like they did at Doug's Beach.

This does seem like the kind of project that CGKA could help orchestrate. We really need more river access for kites.
- Bob

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

CGKA has tried. The railroads will fight a crossing here because they are trying to add two more tracks on both sides of the river. (Four new tracks...) A new crossing is a complication they don't want. As far as improving a crossing under the tracks, prosecution for a terrorist act was threatened for merely asking the question. The railroad is far more powerful than people realize. They are the only private companies in the USA that actually have their own private Police force. Not security, Police. With full police powers.

Other groups are against accessing this beach as well, political correctness prevents me from naming them.

All of that said, before anything else, we need to come up with a quarter million dollars for the crossing to even try and start the process. Is that a ridiculous number? Yes. Is it reasonably accurate? Yes. With significant political help you might get that number down to $200,000. Without significant political help, the project isn't happening anyway. So, you have to consider the cost of buying a congressman as well. We aren't exactly a group that tugs at the public's heartstrings.

The beach is in fact closed. (except for landing by sea.) Which is why we don't talk about fight club. Bring attention to it and the authorities might get real serious about those few miscreants who are tempted to go there. Currently, we believe that nobody is using it except those landing by boat or jet-ski.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 06, 16 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

there is another way to get there but people are flat out lazy. Go down by the indian lands by the boat ramp. We talked to the Indian police and others and they were cool with us parking by the water. a couple years ago we put some concrete blocks so you can launch just east of the river and kite up. been done many times and it is possible. Also you can and we have done it many times cross the Klickitat river. It is about waist high depending on the water level and an easy one to cross. We all have thousands of dollars of kite gear but no one want to spend a few dollars on a pos raft aka sevylor or kayak or whatever floats and make the forage. Stay out about 100 yards from shore and it is shallow or just float close to the bridge and stay out of the wind. It can be done. I have trained the BNSF in haz mat and had been given permission to cross but the issue is when people become mouthy and a smart ass to the PD and they get the last laugh. Drive another 30 seconds down the road and hang a right and save the access to all!!

not to add, but the BNSF does not own the beach up the high water line. We tested this years ago kayaking when residents would rage as we were scouting rapids that they thought were on their property. We involved the PD as we were tired of people running their traps at us and it was settled. cant bother us as long as you are below the high water line. Bottom line- other options available and don't be a dick to the PD!!!

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 06, 16 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I think many, including me, enjoy watching and executing tricks, just not in crowded launch and landing zones. Very Happy

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 16 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

The trick riders are looking for the flat water or smooth kickers that only develop because of and near the sandbar. The last thing they are interested in is riding out in the middle of the river. This is the same area that is a prime spot for beginners.

I think many newbie kiters do not realize that the trick riders are going to where the smooth water is and not simply to show off to friends and family.

I suspect that this problem will only increase as we get more folks starting out combined with those of us who are now ready to start our first loops and such.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 07, 16 6:49 am     Reply with quote

One thing I noticed on Sunday that needs to stop now, but of course CGKA cannot comment since we're breaking laws being there anyway:
Do NOT ever linger around the tracks for pictures or sightseeing. If a train arrives on scene the conductor is required to report "Persons on tracks".
This report can generate a BNSF officer to respond and issue tickets, or worse yet a change in policies.
On Sunday I observed folks wandering back and forth watching the action from the tracks. They had wetsuits on so I know they're one of us.
Of course this problem will resolve itself now that we're returning to locals only.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 16 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Why tricks close to shore or landing spots? another reason is safety. It may sound counterintuitive at first but being close to shore means that a trick gone bad, resulting in a knockout (which is not uncommon in kiteboarding), has a much higher chance of survival than in the middle of the river. People are more likely to notice and able to help right away. It's all about calculated risks and balancing your personal kiteboarding goals/needs, your needs for safety and your tolerance of the risk. In a way, beginners and "tricksters" have a lot more in common than it may seem: they have a higher level of acceptance of the risk of the sport (and they both crash a lot too).
Last edited by sromano1995 on Wed Sep 07, 16 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 07, 16 7:19 am     Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
Why tricks close to shore? another reason is safety. It may sound counterintuitive at first but being close to shore means that a trick gone bad, resulting in a knockout (which is not uncommon in kiteboarding), has a much higher chance of survival than in the middle of the river.

Hmmm... and wouldn't the presence of log deadheads and 4" deep water change your math here? Seems we've had some "knock-outs" at the shallows at the HR sand-spit.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 16 7:45 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
sromano1995 wrote:
Why tricks close to shore? another reason is safety. It may sound counterintuitive at first but being close to shore means that a trick gone bad, resulting in a knockout (which is not uncommon in kiteboarding), has a much higher chance of survival than in the middle of the river.

Hmmm... and wouldn't the presence of log deadheads and 4" deep water change your math here? Seems we've had some "knock-outs" at the shallows at the HR sand-spit.

Of course it does. Water conditions (depth, obstacles,...) and personal proficiency level will dictate what trick makes sense or doesn't make sense given a certain acceptance of risk. 4" of water is not good for anything that involves height but low glides/slides/handplants/backroll transitions with kiteloops are not that risky. The greater the depth of water, the higher you will be willing to send a more trick (F-16, BackMobe, etc...) that has a high chance of failure. 4 / 5 feet of water or is more reasonable cushion. If you hurt yourself (and don't get knocked out), you can at least try to stand. Traditional jumps (without added tricks) are typically lower risk because you can control the flight and speed of landing (even in shallow water or land for that matter). Deadheads are always a risk too and should be considered. Scanning the spot and watching for them prior to sending any tricks is a good practice. The klickitak is notorious for new deadheads every season which is why sending jumps and trick there is always a double edge sword (perfect flat water vs new deadhead) which is another reason why sometimes, when there is nobody on that side of the sandbar, it's "safer" to go where everybody is (West)

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 07, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

You guys don't get it.....Don't ask don't tell.
Everyone including the authorities know what's going on at the beach. How could they miss 40 kiters and 30 cars parked in the middle of nowhere?
They choose to ignore what you're doing.
Kill this thread and stop talking about it.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 07, 16 8:15 am     Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
Why tricks close to shore or landing spots? another reason is safety. It's all about calculated risks and balancing your personal kiteboarding goals/needs, your needs for safety and your tolerance of the risk. In a way, beginners and "tricksters" have a lot more in common than it may seem: they have a higher level of acceptance of the risk of the sport (and they both crash a lot too).

You left out a big part of the equation. It is not just personal safety as you seem to think. There is no thought here to others safety. It is all me, me, me. What is the best way for me to have fun and the rest of you just need to stay out of my way.
This of course is nonesense. You are just another rider in a group and if what you are doing is putting others at risk and something does go wrong it is your fault. You created the situation by your admitted high risk riding in an area where lots of people are trying to get in and out in a limited launch/land area.
If you decided to do donuts in your car on the interstate exit ramp, what would be the reaction when there was an accident. At this point it can not even truly be called an accident because it is totally preventable.
Rant off.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 16 9:22 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:

You left out a big part of the equation. It is not just personal safety as you seem to think. There is no thought here to others safety. It is all me, me, me. What is the best way for me to have fun and the rest of you just need to stay out of my way.

Correct: I left it "safety of others" out of my comment above. It does not mean that I am dismissing the fact that it is very important and certainly first and foremost. I think everybody on that thread that is saying: "tricksters, stay out of my landing zone" is basically making that point. I was merely trying to bring another perspective in answer to the original question and why you may see people pulling tricks in areas where you would prefer not to see them.
Because someone is ok with the risk of getting hurt, doesn't mean that they are ok with hurting someone else.

We all do this for fun (not because we have to)! Some love the "sports" aspect of it, some love to cruise along, including driving 5 mph and/or stopping on the on-ramp.

We can all co-exist and we all have a need to safely land/launch our kites.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 07, 16 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I digress, but i can not believe the amount of bathers who sit in chairs, frolick in the water at the sandbar. Do these people realize how dangerous it is?
I saw a guy self launch, as he was going so this guy comes up with his kid, maybe he was two. s
He starts asking the guy (who was on a foil and RPM, guy was a ripping foiler) some questions. The kid wnaders off in the guys lines. The guy is like, WTF?

How about the people just laying around in the channel? Do they not see everyone coming and going with their kites. They can hang out on the beach.

I never said it, but always wanted to say, hey do you realize you are in the most dangerous area here. Why dont you go over to the beach reserved for you?

That place is chaos.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 07, 16 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Then you should say it. Clearly they don't know how dangerous it is. Educate.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 07, 16 11:45 am    Event site Reply with quote

A week ago on Saturday the wind came up late after being hot for several days.
There was a rigging frenzy going on. There was a older couple sitting on the beach right where everyone was launching. They had no clue the danger they were in.
I heard some people talking about them but not doing anything. So i walked over to the couple and said Hi. I then explained that kite lines are like knives and people will be crashing kites on to beach. I was as nice as possible and suggest they move up to grass or further north on the beach. They thanked me and moved. As I walked back to my kite and another kiter thanked me for talking to the couple. He said he could never do that. My point is speak up and just be POLITE.
There is always someone who wants to argue it's their right to be there on the beach. Someone else spoke to three women laying at the water edge. They said it was their right to be there. I heard later on someone crashed a kite into them.
Very Happy

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 07, 16 12:54 pm    Waterfront Park Reply with quote

I try to politely tell non wind people about the lovely Waterfront Park just 200 yards to the west. A space that was recently completed w a public and private partnership. A park where kiting isnt allowed, and swimming is encouraged, and parking is free. Play structures for kids, bigger than the event site, one can view some serious boosting in front of WS bridge, and pizza and beer right across the street.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: