Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gamechanger ?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 24, 16 6:56 am    Gamechanger ? Reply with quote

5 years R & D. 2 years of testing.
http://www.northkiteboarding.com/products/bars/click-bar/

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 24, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Looks really nice - I'd love to demo one on a gusty/holey day in the Gorge when the wind can be anything from 15-40mph within a single tack and see how well it works.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Aug 24, 16 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Gamechanger for guys that don't follow the KISS principle.

"The unique Trim Unit enables you to power and depower in precise steps at the flick of a switch. To power your kite, turn the Winder of the Trim Unit clockwise – this shortens the length of your backlines with every half turn. To depower, simply push the button in the middle of the Winder and your backlines will lengthen again with every click. At any time the level of power/depower is visible on the Power Display on the bar, as well as on a neon orange mark above the right floater. Being placed on the right side of the bar, the Trim Unit is easily accessible offering to power and depower intuitively in any situation – be it dropping into a massive wave or during an enormous mega loop."

While I'm giving my thumbs the workout of the century click baiting my way down the waves I'm not looking down to view my power display to make sure I'm dialed in correctly. How much line is shortened by 1 click? Isn't that task left to the throw of the bar???

Kiting is about the feel and riding smoothly so it kind of seems gimmicky. (?) North is pretty solid with all their gear but to hype it as a "gamechanger" seems to be on the bold side. Time will tell.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 24, 16 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Likes: -Changing power with REAR lines that are typically not loaded like the fronts are
-No flapping depower lines/pulls/loops
-Clean bar

Unsure: Anything mechanical that must be pushed, or rotated when subject to sand and/or salt is a little worrisome to me

If Ken Winner has anything to do with this bar it will be worth looking at. Talented, intelligent guy who thinks outside the box.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Aug 24, 16 8:04 am    . Reply with quote

but i just heard fireball was the game changer Shocked

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostWed Aug 24, 16 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Will they still offer the standard bar or are they going all in with the click bar?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 24, 16 8:35 am     Reply with quote

They will still have both. Hopefully they will add some of the other upgrades like adjustable v-split to the older bar.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Looks like a potentially decent incremental improvement IF it is durable. Definitely NOT a "gamechanger" Rolling Eyes

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 24, 16 9:05 am     Reply with quote

seems in kiting that if something is good, then everyone will be the same in a few years.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Aug 24, 16 9:39 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Unsure: Anything mechanical that must be pushed, or rotated when subject to sand and/or salt is a little worrisome to me

Agreed. When shit hits the fan everything needs to release without fail. If you have to post a video showing how to clean the system with a toothbrush....then sorry.....no way in hell do I need another device to maintain that could impact my life span and is recommended to do every 20 sessions.

On the plus side maybe it comes with a cool little North toothbrush you can clip to your knife hook? Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVh_gWA12Q4

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 24, 16 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
eric wrote:

Agreed. When shit hits the fan everything needs to release without fail. If you have to post a video showing how to clean the system with a toothbrush....then sorry.....no way in hell do I need another device to maintain that could impact my life span and is recommended to do every 20 sessions.

On the plus side maybe it comes with a cool little North toothbrush you can clip to your knife hook? Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVh_gWA12Q4

Agree! Hats off to North for trying something new though.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 24, 16 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Agree! Hats off to North for trying something new though.

At a summary glance my thoughts are first off Sasquatch hit the nail on the head... Innovation is good. Keep thinkin and keep tryin.

One of the issues I have with my current bar is that I need to replace my depower lines every season (two seasons at most). There is a lot of wear and tear on the depower lines with cleates, pulleys, stopper balls etc. It looks like North may have some innovative progressions in this arena.

However, I really like my "Oshit" loops. If I ever break a center line that happens to be my safety line I plan to pull my oshit loop.

Also, I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy. I ride fully powered... until I can't. The gorge is gusty up and down. Often there are 20mph differences between the North and South sides of the river on a single reach (I suppose this depends upon where you ride). I don't want to spend my time fumblin with finding the right depower level. Perhaps this new gamechanger makes more sense in smoother areas.

Also, as others have stated... Reliability is #1. Prove reliability in conditions of seaweed, salt, sand and other elements and you will probably have more believers.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 24, 16 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

Also, I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy. I ride fully powered... until I can't.

That's me to a T... I can't remember the last time I depowered my kite, its just something I stopped doing after a while, and instead, used board edging and direction to control the power of the kite. BUT, that's on a twintip... in certain conditions/different boards depowering might offer a much nicer ride, ...and I'm certainly not advocating full-power all the time (sissies!!)

The plastic sheath looks nice on that bar... technical advancement is good, but it does remind me a bit of the skateboard boom in the late 70's where they started coming up with all kinds of crazy "advancements" just to be the next new thing. Agree with Sella on the cleaning thing...

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 24, 16 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Game changer? Probably not
Innovative? Sort of

It is very nice of them to try and fix a problem I don't have.....

The 2 bigger issues for me would be to get rid of the chicken loop/hook and shorten the length of the whole QR unit to increase the throw so I do not need to use the "trim" as much. And no, the Cab "game changer" does not address these either. Although it does not have a chicken loop it still has a hook for lines to wrap around. They sort of removed the wrong part or only got to half of the issue.
Only IMO, of course.

Still might try one or the other just to see what they feel like but not to buy.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 24, 16 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

I don't use my trim all that much cause it's kind of a pain. I have an LF Reaponse bar (above the bar depower). Besides an easier to reach depower, what I like about this idea is the concept of using the rear lines for depower. This means you don't lose bar throw range when you have the kite depowered some. I like having a long throw available all the time. Now we just need North Click bar and Cabrinha Fireball to have a baby so we can get rid of the dumb chicken loop.
- Bob

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 25, 16 6:59 am     Reply with quote

I think it is fantastic innovation that opens the door for other brands to improve on the North design. I haven't seen much change in bar setups in 10 years, this is a monumental leap. Hats off to North! The scary part is no one has mentioned what the price increase will be! $500-600 bars seem to be the norm now.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostThu Aug 25, 16 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Getting rid of the CL is only an improvement if you get rid of the 6-8" it takes up, Cabrihna didn't do that. When you get rid of that you don't need to trim your kite with a trim line cause you can now reach far enough to dump all the power you'd need to and still have it back immediately when you need it by just sheeting in. For me, simpler is by far a better way to go but that doesn't sell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: