Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Brain bleed!
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 15, 16 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

This seems like an unfortunate freak accident.. Hope you have a full recovery.

This will surely revamp the helmet debate. But, like the author, I also am not certain about helmets in high impact water crashes.

When I was practicing jibing the surf board I was constantly crashing. My relatively buoyant helmet was causing me to get a headache with each crash into the water. In order to balance the buoyancy of my helmet I also wear a lifevest. Usually the helmet and lifevest balance each other so that my body and head are moving through the water at the same speed during a crash. But in the case of jibing I was starting to get a headache from crashing into the water with my helmet.

When I removed the vest and helmet there was a significant reduction in the headache felt during each crash.

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostSat Jul 16, 16 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Try getting kicked in the head while unconscious too death.
Last edited by Jabob on Sat Jul 16, 16 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSat Jul 16, 16 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Jabob wrote:
Try getting kicked in the head while unconscious too death. All arranged by finance of kite wealth. Naish will james Iko?

Should've been wearing a helmet. Smile

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostSat Jul 16, 16 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Oh no
Last edited by Jabob on Sat Jul 16, 16 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 16, 16 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks for posting this! I think it is great that you took the time out of your busy convalescence to post it. Most of us, myself included, probably think that if a head injury doesn't immediately kill you or leave you dazed that you are fine. But apparently not. I read your post last night and was out surfing in NJ today while visiting family and slammed my head on the sandbar at the end of a ride. Really paid attention to how I felt for a couple of hours after so thank you! For those of you who know or who have any experience, would a helmet help with water slams (not hitting a hard object)? I guess with the shell and padding they probably would but just curious. A friend of mine is a Neurosurgeon, who incidentally does not wear a helmet but tells me there is no good reason not to wear one. I always wear one. Almost always:-).

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 17, 16 12:11 am     Reply with quote

Best wishes and glad it wasn't more serious. Recently I was doing the same, going after the elusive strap-to-strap jibe, and getting beat up pretty hard, including some head hits. I decided to dust off my helmet, and I'm definitely a helmet advocate having split two open in road bike crashes, but to each their own.

I'm not medically trained, but I had an experience many years ago that causes me now to double-think taking Motrin/Advil/Ibuprofin after what might be a possible internal injury. I was rollerblading (yes, I'm old) down a steep hill in a slalom manner and hit a wax paper cup that caused me to go down on my hip really hard and slide down the hill into a curb. I kept skating hard for a while, hitting the half pipe and ramps, and by the time I got home there was HUGE greenish/purple bruising on my left leg. I took 800mg of Ibuprofin with a steak dinner and went to bed with ice on it. When I woke in the morning I felt like shit; light-headed and nauseous as all get-out. I got up to get a fresh ice pack and call my boss to say I'd be late (we were up to push-button phones by then Wink. I took two steps into the hall and fell flat on my face. I hit my forehead on my roommate's door which woke him, and if he wasn't home I'd be dead. Long story short I'd been bleeding internally and had the largest hematoma the ER docs had ever seen. They said the Ibuprofin helped accelerate it by thinning my blood, which they estimated was over 40% lost into my leg. Again, I'm not medically trained so don't know how accurate any of that is, but I've learned to second-guess my decisions.

Here's to seeing you jibing on the water soon...

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Jul 17, 16 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your brain injury. I am glad it wasn't worse.

I am sure you will work wth your medical team for recommendations.

If the issue is risk of impact then you have some choices. If it's risk of exertion you have a different set of choices.

From my past years of climbing I bet you could do lots of options (long moderate trad, follow a leader on hard sport routes and low elevation mountaineering) with minimal risk of head impact. Long hikes/backcountry trips might also be good. Conservative road or mountain bike rides might be lower risks. Maybe mellow kit get could still happen? Also kayaking or scuba diving could be ok if impact is the issue.

Good luck

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Jul 17, 16 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your brain injury. I am glad it wasn't worse.

I am sure you will work wth your medical team for recommendations.

If the issue is risk of impact then you have some choices. If it's risk of exertion you have a different set of choices.

From my past years of climbing I bet you could do lots of options (long moderate trad, follow a leader on hard sport routes and low elevation mountaineering) with minimal risk of head impact. Long hikes/backcountry trips might also be good. Conservative road or mountain bike rides might be lower risks. Maybe mellow kit get could still happen? Also kayaking or scuba diving could be ok if impact is the issue.

Good luck

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 18, 16 10:17 am     Reply with quote

That sucks Brandon. I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. Hopefully your Doc was being overcautious and you're not down and out for good. Again, really sorry this happened to you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: