Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cheap kiting trip to the Hood River?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
swimmer

Since 08 Jul 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 08, 16 3:33 pm    Cheap kiting trip to the Hood River? Reply with quote

I would love to go kiteboard/train at the Gorge around the end of July or August for 1-3weeks as here on the North East we are hitting the summer lull period. I have a limited budget so I need to make this trip as cheap as possible. It looks like I can get to HR by bus but I still need a place to crash.

Anyone going that is in need of a kiting buddy and has space (couch or camping is fine) or can offer a ride? If interested I can exchange time filming you or doing some video editing (I have experience with adobe premier). I am pretty techie and can figure out how to use a drone if you have one.

I can sew and repair kites so if any shops are looking for short term part-time help. Also open to helping with some yard work in exchange for a bed/couch.

About my relationship with kiteboarding:
Love kiteboarding (obviously) Laughing , sometimes I kite nonstop for hours at a time. I am really into big airs/ kiteloops but I like all the styles of riding, looking to further develop my unhooked riding.

Open to offers, ideas and suggestions!

thanks,
nick

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 08, 16 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.bingenschool.com/

I've often found a remote road or street, slept in my car, but used the $4 Bingen School Inn showers to wash off the river crud.

swimmer

Since 08 Jul 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jul 09, 16 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

Considered renting a car and doing just that, sleeping in the car. I heard you can sometimes sneak into camp sites and use their showers/bathrooms but $4 is not bad at all.

Just wish car rental was not so expensive in Portland....makes my other option of going to Cabarete more cost efficient

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 09, 16 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

If you rent a car off airport you save about 25%.Take the Max to a rental office in Gresham.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Jul 09, 16 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed there.. Before my truck was shipped down I spent a few years renting from the budget on Columbia drive near the airport. $12 dollar cab ride saved me good money.

www.freeridekiting.com

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostSat Jul 09, 16 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are young, short on money, and long on time. Where the best wind is in the gorge can vary by over a hundred miles. (Rooster to 3 mile) You need a car.

Take the maximum time you can (3+ weeks) and drive here from NE. Problem solved!
Free camping all over the place. No flight and gear transport costs. Simpler times Smile

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 09, 16 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

You can take a hot shower in the marina for a couple of bucks.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 10, 16 7:35 am     Reply with quote

I bet you could rent a nice ford transit UHAUL van ($19.99 a day) and that kills 2 birds. transport to the beach and living down by the river

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 10, 16 11:27 am     Reply with quote

When I am in the gorge solo, I sleep in my car. I don't bother rearranging gear, so I can lie down. I just recline the drivers seat and sleep there using a fleece blanket if needed. It is as low maintenance as you can get. Bring some foam ear plugs for sleeping near the highway or train tracks. Rufus and Roosevelt are free camping. I use rest stops for sleeping on many occasions. I have never been bothered anywhere I have parked, but I dont park in HR either.

I also carry two 1-gallon refillable jugs for water. I have taken a full shower with one gallon of water standing next to my car. It is not hot water, but it is not cold either. It is really easy and saves the effort of seeking out paid, free or stolen showers. The 2nd gallon is for drinking or if I need a bit more of a rinse for some reason.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 10, 16 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

At the Hood River Marina you have access to coin operated showers.

swimmer

Since 08 Jul 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 11, 16 5:51 am     Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to taking a cross country trip from NYC. Problem is I live in NYC where i don't need a car so I don't own one.

Uhaul van is an idea!! I will look at it but my guess it's never $19.99 a day, with fees/insurance it racks up to $50-80. Could throw an air matter in the back though Laughing

How consistent is the wind at the Gorge? Would it be possible kite almost everyday if I come light with only a 9m & 7m and stay between Portland - Rufus to avoid burning too much gas?

Meter stats around the area look great but idk if they are telling the full story...?

hood.JPG 

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 11, 16 6:19 am    consistent winds Reply with quote

from 2 years kiting/living there and a 2 week trip last year:

I was there for 16 1/2 days and I kited 17 days. However, there were lulls in the Gorge and I went to the Coast and it was on. Coast is 1.5-2 hrs west of Portland.

I would say that's where it really helps to have a car. I feel like the western end of that range is definitely the Coast, and the eastern end is Rufus. I've never kited further east though.

Good luck!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 11, 16 6:22 am     Reply with quote

7-9, and a 12 for insurance.
Also, In July and August there can be occasional heat-waves that kill the Gorge and make the Oregon Coast the best option. So, your stretch of adventure is now Astoria to Rufus. Jones Beach is west of Portland and is also reliable.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 11, 16 6:27 am     Reply with quote

If you drive you're looking at 80-90%, but sometimes you will need to drive 3-6 hours to make that happen--Central/South Oregon coast, or 3 hrs to North Coast, or 1 hr east etc. If you were to park yourself in Hood River proper, 50% is a more reasonable guesstimate.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 11, 16 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

By the 3nd week of Aug the percentage starts to drop some. Come now, its high season in The Hood. Kite everyday in Hood River for the next 5 weeks

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 13, 16 5:22 am     Reply with quote

Camp for free at forest service south of hood river. I also remember camping for free near Dallas bridge, but that was years ago. People used to camp at post canyon, just west of town for free.

I also recommend a car. If it was a longer trip, maybe you could buy an older car and resell it at the end of the summer?

Or just splurge, get the cheapest rental car you can, and have one of the best trips of your lifetime...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: