Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fireball by Cabrinha. Thoughts
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 06, 16 7:34 am    Fireball by Cabrinha. Thoughts Reply with quote

Thoughts on this?

http://www.4actionsport.it/kitesurf/2016/07/06/3470/

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostWed Jul 06, 16 7:58 am     Reply with quote

interesting. Would like to demo the fireball. Better than a sliding hook?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 16 8:41 am    too long Reply with quote

It needs to be more compact, doesn't help get the bar closer to the body to improve depower range / help people with shorter arms. Everything seems about twice as long as necessary, like it's designed to keep the bar position in same place.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 16 9:21 am    Fireball Reply with quote

It's about time to see one of the major kite brands give up on the chicken loop (the BRM cloud kite guy gave up on it a while ago). Since the chicken loop is an adaptation from windsurfing it is really a poor design for use on the kite. In some ways it's crazy the industry has stuck with the old chicken loop standard for so long. A lot of kiters have already figured out how bad the chicken loop is and switched to sliding ropes, home-made shackel set-ups etc. The "fireball" looks like a good solution (not sure about the name though).

The rub here of course is going to be standardization, which is why the industry has been stuck with the chicken loop for so long. I'm sure Cabrinha has a patent on this design. So what will the other manufacturers do? A lot of people have kites from several brands and won't want to have a different spreader bar/harness setup for each kite. Any local Slingshot insiders have any input? Will SS just stick with the Ride Engine slider as the answer to the fireball?

Time will tell whether the "fireball" catches on, but there is some risk it could become the beta-max of the kite industry - a technically better design but never becomes the standard.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 06, 16 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Cloud Kites has something that looks a little like this, not a ball but tether.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 16 10:35 am     Reply with quote

The BRM solution mandates you never want to do any unhooked stuff though.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostWed Jul 06, 16 12:59 pm    Fireball Reply with quote

I'm always open to trying out new things, but I'm loving the sneak peak of the 2017 Cabrinha kites!!!

https://vimeo.com/172984714

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 06, 16 2:20 pm    Re: Fireball Reply with quote

Kerpella wrote:
I'm always open to trying out new things, but I'm loving the sneak peak of the 2017 Cabrinha kites!!!

me too, you have video of new kites? This was the fireball video i posted earlier

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 16 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

You can see some of the new kites in action segments of the video you posted - at least there are kite graphics I haven't seen before. Also, what's with Pete Cabrinha in the video trying to do a Steve Jobs impression followed by Minority Report reenactment?

The other big issue with the Fireball is I don't see how you can do a tethered launch/land with this setup. It's really nice to have that option in certain situations.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 06, 16 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Smaller radius gated carabiner may work if ball diameter > beaner width.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 16 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

I think it's definitely a good upgrade from the chicken loop/donky dick set up. At least some companies are thinking outside the box.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostWed Jul 06, 16 4:06 pm    Re: Fireball Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Kerpella wrote:

me too, you have video of new kites? This was the fireball video i posted earlier

Yea! In the video where they are showing off the bar.. if you skim through and watch what kites they're flying they are all their new 2017's!! ..
..Also, Cabrinha on Facebook has a shorter clip where you can see their kites in 1 minute or so. Same clips out of this video, just more to the point. Their new FX, Switchblade and Drifter looked pretty sweet! Granted they only showed off one color scheme of each kite, but still looked like great patterns! Cool

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 16 8:35 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

The other big issue with the Fireball is I don't see how you can do a tethered launch/land with this setup. It's really nice to have that option in certain situations.

Good point, didnt even think of this.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 07, 16 8:41 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
user124 wrote:

Good point, didnt even think of this.

And how easy will it be to hook back in when an unintentional unhook occurs?

mkm

Since 18 Nov 2010
7 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jul 07, 16 11:49 am     Reply with quote

It's pretty easy to tether launch, even a larks head will do.

I'm sure that in the coming days more pics from dealers that were at the Pryde Group conference will continue to leak out (#pgabash). Some are already starting. It's also pretty cool looking at the pics from previous meetings as well.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/pgabash/

One thing is for sure, it's not for everyone. It's also clear that a demo is a must, as just looking at the system leaves too many questions for most. Largely, the people that tried it came away with very positive comments. I guess time will tell.

www.neilpryde.com
www.imaginesurf.com
www.jp-australia.com
www.npsurf.com
www.flow.com
www.sicmaui.com

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 16 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

mkm wrote:
It's pretty easy to tether launch, even a larks head will do.

I'm sure that in the coming days more pics from dealers that were at the Pryde Group conference will continue to leak out (#pgabash). Some are already starting. It's also pretty cool looking at the pics from previous meetings as well.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/pgabash/

One thing is for sure, it's not for everyone. It's also clear that a demo is a must, as just looking at the system leaves too many questions for most. Largely, the people that tried it came away with very positive comments. I guess time will tell.

Just sent you a private message fyi

Matt E.

Since 22 May 2008
318 Posts
West Coast Sales Rep
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 08, 16 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

After a lot of testing, Fireball get a big thumbs up from me! Very Happy I will have a limited number of them to demo this Sunday at the HR Sandbar. See you there!

nwkite.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: