Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wrapping lines during self rescue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 28, 16 7:09 pm    wrapping lines during self rescue? Reply with quote

what is the consensus.....during a self rescue is it best to wrap your lines up or not. I was taught to wrap them up but I have seen some posts on other forums where it is preached not to wrap your lines. Maybe there is a case for both. I have had the experience of kiting at rooster on a 40 mph east wind day and my kite got all inverted. I flagged it out but the wind was so strond that wrapping the lines was impossible. Maybe that was just me or my lack of experience but even flagged the tension was too strong. Maybe a few Instructors could weigh in on this. Take it for what it is worth but I evenhave an email from Dimitri, the Core Kite guru, about not to wrap the lines, especially in strong wind. On a nice 20mph day though I think it may be best. Just thought I would get some more opinions on the subject.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Jun 28, 16 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

I wrap unless I can't. after a punch-out or complete garage sale with no chance of re-launching I get a couple good wraps on the flying lines to reduce the chance of the launching.

I try to be disconnected also - then I wrap up to the kite.

I'm not a fan of getting wrapped and tangled in lines.

www.freeridekiting.com

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 28, 16 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

As with almost everything kiteboarding, it is situational. On shore wind, waves, sandy beach I usually do not wrap, just either get to the kite or completely release if there are no other innocent people around. In the gorge on an easy 9M day with plenty of room and time, probably wrap it up. You have to access each situation quickly as it comes up and figure out relatively quickly what is safest for you and others. I really wish there was a single best answer but it seems you have to learn to adapt as gracefully as possible to the moment.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 29, 16 12:30 am     Reply with quote

This is one subject I am passionate about....

I have personally experienced both scenarios and am a big fan of wrapping lines and taking things slow.

In my personal opinion there are two primary risks to consider:
- lines
- fixed objects

When things go bad, it is important to assess all the risks surrounding you and to develop a plan that mitigates these risks.

In most instances you have plenty of time to develop/implement a plan that will successfully result in your safe passage to shore. The key is in quickly identifying the immediate risks and identifying your plan for bypassing these risks.

If there is no urgency (such as fixed objects in your immediate path or oncoming shoreline immediately affecting you), I would argue that the slow and safe method is a primary consideration.

Slowly and careful wrapping of your bar assures that you don't inadvertantly tension the wrong line to the kite. It also reduces the risk that you will become entangled in your kite lines.

Also, for those that quickly climb their lines to their kite (leaving the other lines loose) I suggest that you are leaving yourself vulnerable to loose lines catching a fixed object such as a fishing buoy, fishing net, or any other fixed object.

While I understand there is no simple answer to this question, I believe in most cases the slow and safe method is preferred.

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jun 29, 16 5:50 am    lines Reply with quote

I once had both situations in one incident. I had a problem while kiting at the event site and slowly wrapped my lines with the leash attached. I reached the kite, tied the lines to the bar and grabbed the kite bridle for the ride back to the sandbar. I failed to tie the lines securely so the lines came loose and wrapped around my legs every time I moved or kicked. The more I tried to untangle the lines from my leg the worse it became. I finally gave up and concentrated on making it back to shore. When I finally made it to shore I was tied up like a mummy. I never felt in danger because I never let go of the kite bridle but I cringe at the thought of what could have happened. Lesson learned is that if you don't finish tying off the lines to the bar it does not do you any good.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Jun 29, 16 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Wrap lines first, reeling in kite on each wrap, unless you are in trouble for whatever reason and need to get to kite quick for flotation. In that case get to kite fast, once there try to wrap lines if you can.

Also, kite needs to be in bottom up, inverted position for self rescue using bridle line to manipulate canopy for float to shore. Turning kite bottom up if need be can be difficult in overhead water, many kiters have not done this. It must be practiced to be effective in real situation - get to wingtip and wrestle kite along leading edge using wind to help flip it over.

Once you wrap lines, if you want your lines to stay wrapped, tie off lines on bar using two half hitch knots! This takes practice to do quickly and effectively while in the water.

When it comes down to it, a lot of kiters do not know how to quickly wrap lines and tie off lines on bar using two half hitch knots. Same goes for flipping kite over to inverted position in deep water. Both these moves need to be practiced.

Here is a link to pics and description of tying off lines on kite control bar using half hitch knots -

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2347460

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 29, 16 7:38 am     Reply with quote

One thing to remember - that I totally forgot two weeks ago when I had to do self-rescue at Jones - is to wrap the slack leash line around the bar first once you reach the bar. Initially I started wrapping my lines and felt that I'm getting tangled in the leash line floating behind me, fortunately it was all very early in my self-rescue, so I unwrapped the lines, let go and restarted - this time wrapping the leash line first. Worked great and I had an easy ride to shore once I reached the kite.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
One thing to remember is to wrap the slack leash line around the bar first once you reach the bar.

My technique is slightly different. Once I reach the bar and secure it with a half hitch I unhook my safety leash from the bar and hook it around my board.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Another tip I think is useful is not to wrap up your bar too close to your kite.

As you approach your kite (or bridle), climb up the last few feet to your kite without wrapping. After you have reached your kite then wrap up the final portion of your bar. This allows you to role up the tail end of your bar cleanly with all four (5) lines evenly tensioned.

Nothing worse than having loose lines flopping around to get tangled in while you are attempting to self rescue.

Also, as previously mentioned.... Tie off your bar. With slingshot you can unhook the inflow cap and jam your donkie dik into it. This will hold the bar in place and allow you to completely focus on your kite. I always check for leaks when I do this as some kites leak air without the cap on. Sometimes a flick with your finger fixes the leak temporarily.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

FWIW, there's a pretty good discussion over on kiteforum about this exact topic, in response to a relatively embarrassing video I posted. After my last 2 deep water self-rescues, I'm pro-wrap as you're closing the distance. Take it or leave it, though. Whatever technique keeps you safer and allows you to track all the moving parts is the better one, IMO.

My buddy's tether launches scare the shit outta me, but it's part of his system, so his technique is safer for him than trying to use my overly cautious approach.

Anyway, check it out.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2393025

and here's that vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bNZ5gZxafo

(hrm... not sure why vid is not embedding, but the link should work, at least)

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 30, 16 6:58 am     Reply with quote

Great discussion on an important topic.

Whatever approach you use - you should actually do it once in a awhile in non threatening conditions to get better at it

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Yes, good topic. A lot of good stuff has already been said and read (by me) so I will add a couple of thoughts. A very effective method for not only getting to your kite quicker and with a kite that may still have some power in it is to "power wrap" the lines. Whereby you grab the bar with one hand right in the center of the bar and using the bar for leverage you can figure 8 the bar around the lines and not the other way around. The lines go to either side of your fist (not on the bar ends). You just have to be careful not to get a finger or your hand stuck in there. Wish I had a picture or video but I don't at the moment. Secondly, I am always in the habit of keeping my hooknife in my mouth while self rescuing so it is at the ready just in case. Lastly, really assess where you are and how far your swim is going to be if you should ditch the kite entirely. If you are alone or rescue is going to be slow in coming you have to remember that your kite is your life raft. It floats and is easy to see. I panicked once and completely ditched the kite only to watch it float away like Wilson in Castaway. Even though I wear a vest, my kite is my life raft. Ditching it is my last resort now.

SR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: