Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Subaru Service in The Gorge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 11:45 am    OT: Subaru Service in The Gorge? Reply with quote

I seem to be making a lot of these OT threads lately (unfortunately). Had a head gasket failure on the wife's Outback this weekend. When I lived in HR in the early 90's, there was a Subaru guru in HR, but I can't recall his name and I doubt he's still around. Greentree seems to be the go-to place now for Subi work, but I have no experience with them. Any recommendations in Hood River, The Dalles or even over in White Salmon /Goldendale? Tonkin is not an option (they still use the same failure-prone gaskets). Don't really have the time or interest in doing it myself (plus my shop is full with other projects). Thanks.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 28, 16 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Paco was the Subaru Guru. He passed away last year.

Jim at 'Marks Automotive' in White Salmon is a good guy to go to.

You get what you pay for and you will pay for (and receive) quality work.

www.Purestokesports.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. Bummer though. Thanks for the lead too.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 28, 16 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

2 places in HR are reasonable and 100% trust worthy.
Taylor Automotive next to the bowling alley.
The 2nd place is Shade Tree - they have shops in HR and WS.
They specialize in older Subarus. They're awesome!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 16 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks again. Shadetree/Greentree uses the factory gaskets (which for 2005-2009 is a bad thing). I just got hipped to Superior in Ptld. They use the Six Star gaskets and All-Wheel Drive Auto parts from Seattle (cost more than twice as much, but are coveted by those that know their Subies, it seems) and charge about the same. I'll waste a lot of diesel hauling it to Ptld from east of The Dalles, but might be worth it. I'm going to check out the others as well. I think we're about Subied out, so the next owner will get a fresh ride at least. Thanks again folks!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Metro metric in PDX in close-in SE like 10th and Morrisson.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all. We're trying to decide what we're going to do. One of us is going to get a new Toyota and one of us is going to get stuck with the Subie. I've pretty much settled on Superior as they use the good stuff and get some glowing reviews from subiephiles. Oh, it's close to some okay sushi as well, so, well, you know. My guess is I'll be stuck with the Subie. Wife gets a new Camry (yawn, but reliable), my daughter gets my trusty Corolla S (I'm too old to drive a Corolla anyway) and we sell her 2000 CRV after the dust settles. The Boy gets the Subie, poor kid, in 2.5 years when he gets a license. That's the plan anyway. I'd rather do almost anything other than deal with car hassles, but it happens. Thanks again everyone.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Jun 29, 16 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

yep, Superior Import Auto is top notch. Been around for ages

another one to look into is Mountain Tech in Oregon City. really good as well.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 6:54 am    Head gaskets Reply with quote

Hey you live in the gorge spend your money in the gorge. There are plenty of good mechanics in the gorge. Some of them are even kite boarders and wake boarders. Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Out east and tried that already and here we are again a mere four years later. Going with the highly specialized folks.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 01, 16 9:23 am    Re: Head gaskets Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Hey you live in the gorge spend your money in the gorge. There are plenty of good mechanics in the gorge. Some of them are even kite boarders and wake boarders. Very Happy

Put the names and business out there instead of the scud with no info. How can we use fellow wAtermen if we don't have their names. My subie will need love soon!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: