Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Most Stable / Sedate / Boring 6m For Janky Winds?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSun Jun 26, 16 10:09 pm    Most Stable / Sedate / Boring 6m For Janky Winds? Reply with quote

I need some help.

I just had my first session on my 6m Rally (2014, I think), and I felt like I was trying to hold onto a rabid meth head scrabbling for some crank. While dragging out, kite would shoot forward, fall on slack lines, pop into the zone powered up, fire up through the window past the edge, rinse & repeat. It felt *kind of* okay once I got moving, but was still constantly fighting it to stay riding. Ended up body dragging more than I care to admit.

Switched to the 8m RPM a little later and it was still lively and excitable, but way more stable and not squirrelly at all. Had a killer session on the 8m for a while.

Winds were a little Janky, but not THAT bad (maybe 30 avg with lulls to 15 and gusts to almost 40).

I can't help but feel that maybe I completely hate the way those smaller Rally's fly (I love the bigger ones). Can someone suggest either a super sedate / stable 6m or maybe some settings on the Rally that might bring it down a notch? I currently fly on all middle settings (which I love on my 14m Rally).

I experienced similar squirrelly-ness on the 2011 10m Rally (but not the 10m Wave).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 27, 16 4:54 am     Reply with quote

Sort of old school, but for me the most stable (boring) high wind kite was the 6M Naish Cult 2012. These were the "sigma" shaped leading edge kites. Seemed the most rock solid in insane gusts. Never surprised me. Dumped it because the trade-off is less than snappy turns. I checked once... I was out in 56mph easterlies at Rooster one October. Smoooth.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jun 27, 16 5:38 am     Reply with quote

I'm sticking with the 5m storm.

https://vimeo.com/156184749

www.freeridekiting.com

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostMon Jun 27, 16 7:31 am     Reply with quote

From my experience, the Wave SST and RPM are more stable than the Rally in the smallest sizes. On the other hand, the 12M Rally is a bit more nimble than the 12M Wave SST in lighter winds. Each kite has relative strengths and weaknesses. I've had a lot of fun on 6M Rally - it's a good kite even though it's a little more squirrely in super gusty conditions compared to the Wave SST or RPM.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Jun 27, 16 7:41 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
I'm sticking with the 5m storm.

https://vimeo.com/156184749

me too

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jun 27, 16 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Try 6m RPM - worked well for me sat in the jankiest of the janky 8 to 30mph

You may want that responsiveness to get u out of trouble when something large is going to land on your head...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Jun 27, 16 9:09 am     Reply with quote

These are great responses. Thanks!

My buddy has a 4.5m RPM that I can probably borrow to see if it's any more predictable. I was eyeballing the storm, but did they stop making those?

I bet I could pick up a Cult for almost nothing and try it out. Biggest annoying thing about those is the same as the wave, that the nose sits up when the LE is on the ground so it always flips over in the lightest of winds. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. Might be worth the trade-off.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2574 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 27, 16 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

My favorite janky wind kite I've ever had was the Slingshot T3 5M. The same properties that made it such a pig in all other sizes made for a super stable high wind kite.

A_Ron

Since 19 Mar 2009
29 Posts
PDX

PostMon Jun 27, 16 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

The Cabrinha Switchblades are pretty stable in the small sizes, doesn't feel like a squirrel on a string. The big sizes are "stable" (a bit slow turning), but the little ones are more lively. The 6m works for my 180lbs on a small surfboard in about a 30mph wind average, the 5m 35mph and up (very strong westerlies and Rooster).

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jun 28, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Proletariat wrote:
These are great responses. Thanks!

My buddy has a 4.5m RPM that I can probably borrow to see if it's any more predictable.

The 4.5 rpm is really small (how much you weigh) and doesn't get used that much - 30 to 50 mph for me at 150. I like it but it might be the definition of twitchy - superfast I like that i can whip it around if the wind drops to 25 and then suddenly doubles to 50, which it is known to do at the high end - when river swell gets epic.

The 6m RPM is much much more stable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 30, 16 5:57 pm     Reply with quote

Funny you should ask! I have been on North Rebels for the past 7 years and love them! However I tried my first real wave kite this week - 7m CORE Section and this kite did exactly what you want. It flies itself and is so stable with smooth and constant power. Any good wave kite will sit further in the window and should really fly itself and deliver much more smooth and constant power.

SR

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jul 01, 16 7:16 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Sort of old school, but for me the most stable (boring) high wind kite was the 6M Naish Cult 2012. These were the "sigma" shaped leading edge kites. Seemed the most rock solid in insane gusts. Never surprised me. Dumped it because the trade-off is less than snappy turns. I checked once... I was out in 56mph easterlies at Rooster one October. Smoooth.

Agreed. The most stable high wind kite I have ever owned. I have gotten three or four new kites every year for the last 14 years...

www.naishkites.com

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
834 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Jul 01, 16 8:02 am    Rebel or Switchblade Reply with quote

I found the North Rebel or the Cabrinha Switchblade kites in a 6M are very stable kites.

I know the feeling you are talking about, the only Rev I had flew like that, I got rid of it right after taking it to Baja and hating it.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
293 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 07, 16 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

The 6 meter Naish Pivot is money 💨🌊🏄😁

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 08, 16 11:28 pm     Reply with quote

Take up windsurfing and buy my old 3.5m sail...

My 6m Rebel feels manageable in gusts; haven't tried a 6m Pivot but really digging my new 7m Pivot for directional riding. Haven't been OP on it yet tho. Sweet kite, and I've been mainly a North fan for the last decade.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1727 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 09, 16 6:18 am     Reply with quote

I was out at rufus last weekend it was still blowing into the evening on monday night. saw a handful of kiters go out on 6m kites. was interesting to see how they all behaved in the wind. I noticed the 6m rebel was solid and not lunging back and forward when flying. I would not say the overall wind was janky, but near the shore you could see it was a bit more unstable than in the middle of the river.
I decided to go out again and had a nice foil session in the big swell on my 3.5m strutless and it felt solid.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSat Jul 09, 16 6:31 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I was out at rufus last weekend it was still blowing into the evening on monday night. saw a handful of kiters go out on 6m kites. was interesting to see how they all behaved in the wind. I noticed the 6m rebel was solid and not lunging back and forward when flying. I would not say the overall wind was janky, but near the shore you could see it was a bit more unstable than in the middle of the river.
I decided to go out again and had a nice foil session in the big swell on my 3.5m strutless and it felt solid.

What was the wind speed, about, with gusts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: