Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

My Rule of Three SUCKS.... sometimes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jun 22, 16 7:17 pm    My Rule of Three SUCKS.... sometimes Reply with quote

I picked up the three rule when I started diving.. It was simple. Three things go goofy or wrong, call the dive go drink beer. Simple..

Today I opted for a late session and when I got to the launch there was little wind at the beachg but I could see the caps out in the channel. Figured I'd go big and ride in to the night. So I put up the 12 Flite. It flew well and de-powered nicely as I entered the current.

But then.. then the wind picked up so I went in to rig down. With no one one the beach I went in for what I assumed would be a routine self landing.

1). Poorly executed landing through a loft then punch, kite got wet and covered with sand and small rats nest of the bar - ERRRRGH

Lines were easy, washed the 12 and set out to dry. 9.5 inflated and launched with no problems.... except.....

2). Cear line stretch or flying lines yoke kinked up. Bar needed to be at about 20 degrees for kite to be true. - ERRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I bet on the Yoke, landed double checked, made sure all was straight and reset to self launch.

3). Re-launch was good, kite was crooked, I got cranky and landed.

My rule of three in effect. Pouted some, kicked sand, cursed the kiters out having fun and stomped around in defeat.

I ended up packing the kites, then hooked up the lines to a carabiner and sure enough the left side was WAY goofy out of wack. Only thing I can think of was the self landing of the Flite. I had to abort as the kite lofted back and BUT I held on to the right flying line as I reeled it in closer. - weird can't figure out how it happened.

I was able to stretch the lines back and all is well, but I was all bent up walking away just as three more kiters were getting setup and heading out to a perfect 10m evening session.

www.freeridekiting.com

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Jun 23, 16 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Happened to me with a North lineset at Jones last year. I had a funky self launch (not using an anchor) and the kite felt off and pretty bad. I could not believe the lines stretched that much and stayed that way just from a launch. I trued them up and they stayed ok for a while but I wound up using pigtail extensions to keep them true.

My new Jerry Brown linesets do not get uneven by more than a 1/2 of a centimeter. And that is at the end of their life with lots of ooops'es. I plan on retiring a set of front line Jerry Brown lines to steering lines as soon as I can make another set of front lines.

Note: I made my Jerry Brown lines almost exactly as NAK said in his lineset post.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 23, 16 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

RULE OF THREE: I also use a rule of three but they are all related to what I call safety compromises. As I anecdotally studied the past kite accidents in the Gorge I have found in all cases three safety compromises were stacked upon one another. And that simply removing one of the compromises would have meant a fun and safe day of kiting.

Beginner, overpowered, advanced location
Darkness setting, kiting alone, wind drops
Thin wetsuit, cold water, wind drops
Shallow water, kiting aggressively, messing up a trick
Two compromises paired with an equipment failure

We are forced to make compromises. Sometime we are kiting as darkness sets in, or we are in ballistic conditions, or we forgot our gloves, or at an advanced location. And there are certainly countless more potential compromises that I have not listed. I just make sure that the compromises are not stacking up because three compromises seems to equals disaster.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 23, 16 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, if all in a row
First mistake makes a mess
Second mistake gets you hurt
Third mistake, well, gets you killed

Try to stop at one or ocasionally two

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Jun 23, 16 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

Thumbs up all the way around on the posts above!

Thumb's Up

www.freeridekiting.com

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 23, 16 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

That is much better than my normal rule of LEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostFri Jun 24, 16 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Leeeerooooyyy!

I feel like Leroy every time I get in the water. But these are great tips, guys, thanks. As a beginner, I always have one tick against me and being in Colorado we pretty much always have another (super janky wind).

I'll keep a close eye on that third. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: