Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How is the oil explosion effecting the event site, etc.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 14, 16 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

Worth a read. Provides some insight into the risk/reward of our three methods of inter-continental petroleum transport:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/04/26/pick-your-poison-for-crude-pipeline-rail-truck-or-boat/#4b778aaf5777

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostWed Jun 15, 16 7:27 am     Reply with quote

in response to Salmon Slayers post and driving car all over the NW to fuel kite addiction. My kite mobile is a VW TDI. VW runs on Oregon grown B99 (99% bio, 1%) diesel. My wife drives a flex fuel Ford Escape. Runs on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% petro). Pretty common vehicles. Flex fuel vehicles are everywhere. Most people driving flex fuel cars don't even know, or really care for that matter, what flex fuel means. Alternative fuel stations are not so common, so it takes some planning and motivation to make it work. If more folks filled up with E85 there would be more stations offering it. E85 and biodiesel are not widely available because there's no demand from consumers. Don't feel like dealing with E85 or biodiesel? Electric cars are every where! It boils down to making a choice. If you don't like oil trains put your money where your mouth is and drive an alternative fuel and/ or electric vehicle.

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 15, 16 7:48 am     Reply with quote

I like the discussion here at least.

Unfortunately saleeba flex fuels and E85 are not the answer either. The amount of fossil fuels burned to grow the corn to produce these "alternatives" generally offsets the carbon neutrality of these options and they still need to be transported. This is to speak nothing of the ridiculous politics behind all of them.

Not sure I am aligned with Salmonslayer but the point he makes about driving less if this means something to you is valid.

and by the way there is also an awful lot of petroleum in that kite of yours and for sure fuel was burned in all steps of the process of getting that kite from the design table to your door.

How about everyone at least turns their damn car off when you get to the beach instead of idiling for 20 mins while you check the Event Site graph from the comfort of your AC cooled Audi Allroad.

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostWed Jun 15, 16 8:11 am     Reply with quote

It is virtually impossible to live 100% petroleum free. no shit its in my kites, it's in everything! We can choose to use less of it by way of alternative fuels and electric. We can go back and forth all day.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 15, 16 8:56 am     Reply with quote

This really is a good discussion. I appreciate the different view points. A lot of validity to much of what is being put forth.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 16, 16 9:46 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
This really is a good discussion. I appreciate the different view points. A lot of validity to much of what is being put forth.

Absolutely. Enjoyed the article and info on oil transport - there's no easy solution but safety standards should be improved and those profiting from oil should be liable for accidents.

Here is a good article on the effect of gas prices - it even mentions Salmonslayer's concern about the regressive nature of these taxes at the end (easily offset by specific tax credits for low income commuters). It's fine to encourage people to do the right thing, but providing proper economic incentives is the best way to actually get stuff done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/your-money/gas-is-going-up-but-maybe-not-enough.html?smid=pl-share

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 16, 16 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Good debate; thanks for the articles too.

"and changes have been made to insure that whatever caused this incident cannot happen again."

FYI, billions of tax dollars have been spent on a technology called Positive Train Control (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control). PTC is basically a wireless braking technology similar to what's being put into newer automobiles. The Amtrak derailment in Philly a few years ago was just short of getting the wayside units installed on that track segment that would have theoretically prevented that tragedy, but the political force behind PTC's adoption dates back to early crude tanker derailments, particularly one that collided with a passenger train. BTW, braking a freight train is a fairly complex endeavor, especially when you have multiple locos communicating locally to throttle their own power/traction contributions to longer and longer trains (over hills, etc.). Actually, the wireless technology to do that was the foundation of what's now PTC. And metal wheels on metal tracks... you can guess there's some math and technology involved in controlling the traction motors to efficiently get these suckers stopped and started rolling again!

Not that any of that would have prevented a little chunk of something on a track from flipping over just one car and bringing the whole shebang down with it...

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 16, 16 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

While I haven't read every single word written in this thread, I will say that we are very fortunate that it wasn't as devastating as it easily could have been.
If any of these tanker cars had spilled into the river, it would impact everything downriver. I just donated to columbia river keepers to help support an organization that has our best interest (the river) in mind.
www.columbiariverkeeper.org

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/oregon_calls_for_indefinite_mo.html
so they halted oil tankers on the oregon side of the river. they are still running them along the wa side

I specifically purchased a TDI so I could have a high efficiency vehicle with low emissions... gonna sell it back to the dealer soon and get a hybrid!

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 16, 16 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Top gear tested a toyota prius against a v8 bmw the priUS got 17 miles to the gallon the BMW got 19 miles to the gallon. Plus making the batteries takes lots of fossil fuel and makes lots of pollution. And hybrids are so expensive you will probably not make it back in gas savings.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 9:19 am     Reply with quote

That top gear test was driving a Pruis as fast as possible on a race track and the BMW was drafting behind it just keeping pace.

So yeah, if you buy a Pruis and pin the accelerator all the time you've got the wrong car and it's not going to be very efficient.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 10:28 am     Reply with quote

I would get a yaris instead of a prius. Good gas mileage, cheap and no dirty battery

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 17, 16 11:47 am     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
I would get a yaris instead of a prius. Good gas mileage, cheap and no dirty battery

In Europe i had a Chevy Sonic in a 1.3L TDI version - my average consumption was approx. 50 MPG - loved that car. I wish there were small diesel engine cars available here.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 17, 16 11:56 am     Reply with quote

For those serious about reducing their carbon footprint while kiteboarding ... Susuki Bergman with trailer!

IMG_2393.JPG 

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostFri Jun 17, 16 12:01 pm    good discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
How about everyone at least turns their damn car off when you get to the beach instead of idiling for 20 mins while you check the Event Site graph from the comfort of your AC cooled Audi Allroad.
from Brass

I 2nd that!

bicycles and horses, let's go old fashioned is my vote! oh wait, that'd take a long time to get to LV or SPI then....nevermind. petroleum kites away!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: