Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Oregon Coast Friday/Saturday/Sunday
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Olympia_Kiteboarder

Since 13 Aug 2012
14 Posts
Olympia Washington

PostThu Jun 02, 16 12:03 pm    North Oregon Coast Friday/Saturday/Sunday Reply with quote

I'll be staying in downtown Seaside and will be kiteboarding all weekend around the coast. Low 20's Friday & Mid to upper 20's forecasted for Saturday and Sunday.

-Adam

Last edited by Olympia_Kiteboarder on Thu Jun 02, 16 1:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jun 02, 16 12:14 pm    Re: Seaside Oregon Friday/Saturday/Sunday Reply with quote

Olympia_Kiteboarder wrote:
I'll be staying in downtown Seaside and will be kiteboarding in front of the turnaround (Broadway Street) all weekend. Low 20's Friday & Mid to upper 20's forecasted for Saturday and Sunday.

-Adam

Adam: Please don't take this the wrong way. . . first of all Seaside usually never delivers the strength of wind that is forecasted for the area. You will be better served going North to Sunset beach access, or better yet, lot B just south of the jetty.

But if you insist on trying to kite at Seaside proper, please do it away from the crowds . . .ie go up to the river inlet on the North end of the beach.

The crowds will be crazy with the predicted heat that is forecasted for Portland, unless of course this heat brings in the fog (which often happens).

Have fun, be smart as well as safe.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Jun 02, 16 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jun 02, 16 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Right on Adam, nice timing!

I believe there is still a law banning the launching of watercraft off Seaside beach. I think it was put in place to block the dory boats and avoid the kind of problems they have down at Pacific City. The beach patrol has never bothered us but any incident with a civilian could change that and it does get crowded down by the Turnaround.

It's more fun up by the river anyway and usually a bit more windy. Or like Sasquatch said head up north. Friday will probably require a trip to Manzo for wind.

OLD Seaside - seaside beach patrol.jpg 

STZZ

Since 06 May 2013
39 Posts
N.Couve

PostThu Jun 02, 16 1:50 pm    Waves!! Reply with quote

I'll be there before noon tomorrow staying through Saturday afternoon, dodging law enforcement interrupting my slumber in the back of my Expedition.

PM me if you want to downwind at Ft. Stevens.

Who else is coming?

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostThu Jun 02, 16 3:11 pm    Re: Seaside Oregon Friday/Saturday/Sunday Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
. . . first of all Seaside usually never delivers the strength of wind that is forecasted for the area. You will be better served going North to Sunset beach access, or better yet, lot B just south of the jetty.

This has been my experience too many times. I've tried kiting in Seaside purely because of convenience, and it generally hasn't gone well.

On the stronger days I've done downwinders from 4 or 5 miles north of the estuary, and made it back down close to the turnaround. But the crowds and the diminishing winds have always made me stop there, or even further north.

Have fun - I maybe out that way this weekend too...

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Jun 02, 16 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Saturday and/or Sunday I may make a run from Dallesport to the Coast.

I might have room for one or two plus gear.

www.freeridekiting.com

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jun 02, 16 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Pic taken last summer at the entrance to the Necanicum River on the north end of town. Lighter winds for sure. Its fun when it works.

North end of Seaside.jpg 

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jun 03, 16 6:09 am     Reply with quote

If you kite the mouth of the Necanicum river, be sure you understand the tide tables and watch the time carefully. Either the ebb or the flood presents a pretty serious danger. On the flood, the current will be going into the mouth and negate the wind. On the ebb, you will be in the biggest rip current anywhere. If you detach from your kite, you are going to be swimming for a day or so to get back.

And it looks like the channel had a major shift from last year at the mouth of the Necanicum. Check it out on Google Earth. Use the little clock button at the top ("show historical imagery...") 3/2016 vs 7/2014 both show lower tide but a major shift in the channel. If I try it again there, maybe I will do it on a NW wind instead of trying to hit WSW,SW like last year.

But from my one successful session there (out of 6 trys) I never found anything fun there, or any other kiters save the Cabrinha sticker. The break at the mouth (last years channel) looked epic, but it never really lined up that way when I got to it. Seemed like a mirage. And as mentioned before, the wind was lower, came up, then dropped to nothing within 5 minutes. And that was my successful session.

For some odd reason, no one really kites there.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jun 03, 16 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Good info regarding the mouth of the Necanicum. I used to kite there often when I lived in PDX both NW and Southwest wind. If the tide was going out, I would stay just south of the entrance. Never had a problem.

Also owned a house there so convenience played a big part. If it was blowing hard enough to kite, then great. If not, drive north or south.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 03, 16 6:43 am    Downwinder Friday ft Stevens (or Manzanita) Reply with quote

Thinking of lot B to Sunset around 2. If it's not happening at 1, then Manzanita around 2 just North of the Sunset Surf Motel to the horse camp parking lot at Nehalem State park. Can't remember for sure if the beach sign is 5b? Silver Ford Van Scott 503-481-6294

drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 03, 16 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Sign at the Southernmost Nehalem Bay S.P. parking lot for Downwinders is 23B. See you tomorrow Scott.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 03, 16 4:50 pm    23b thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks, don't know where I got 5b from! 7m today from 2:30-4:00 but I was on my 9 and couldn't hold on after 4. Quite a bit windier than the 21mph that ikitesurf metered. Anybody have a report on ft Stevens?

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 03, 16 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

4pm to 6pm 12m wave sst on 5'-4 angry swallow downwind shipwreck to sunset beach comfortable. Then switched to 138 asylum point sail at sunset pretty lit cold have been 10m.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 08, 16 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

So Adam, how'd you do?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 08, 16 2:31 pm    Manzanita pic Tues Reply with quote

Good condition Tues until these wild clouds moved in.

IMG_5499.jpg 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jun 09, 16 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Cool shot Jeremy...

IMG_5499.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 09, 16 7:58 am     Reply with quote

RAD!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: