Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite rigging/launching Plz stay on our side@Event Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 24, 16 9:34 am    Kite rigging/launching Plz stay on our side@Event Site Reply with quote

A friendly reminder (should be posted as a CGKA notice, but...)

We, the local kiting association and community at large have an amazing arrangement negotiated with the Port of Hood River and the windsurfing association where we get one half of the Event Site to manage our own rigging, launching and landing with no hassles and no restrictions other than the ones we have imposed on ourselves for safety.

Right now I am asking for help with is in reminding some of our local and visiting kiteboarders about what the understood rules and courtesies are for keeping this access available to the Hood River Kite Community at large.
Problems we have been seeing.

#1 - NO Rigging lines and launching upwind of the proper kite area. Setting lines at the bathroom and up into the windsurf area is not cool. If you want to really blow it for us kiteboarders and ruin our access, then you can't really do much worse.
*If you have to land upwind of the proper area, clean up your gear and lines as fast as you can, or help others in doing so.

#2 - DO NOT SELF LAUNCH!! - This is a stupid idea, no other way to put it. Nuff said.

#3 - BE COURTEOUS AND HELPFUL FOR NEWBIES AND OUT OF TOWN KITERS

At 2nd Wind (and I'm sure Big Winds and Windance) we tell our customers that this is a friendly kite community and that we look out for each other because it is right and keeps safety as a top priority. Please don't make us liars.

#4 - WHITE BUOYS&Channel Inlet - are not there for you to jump and do freestyle tricks inside of.
Warnings will be issued to frequent rule breakers and if that does not work, the Sheriffs office will then take over where we the kite community fail in managing ourselves by removing violators rights to access water via Port properties. This is now a serious rule to abide by.
*SAME GOES with kiting thru the channel into the basin. Signage will be in place informing that this is officially not allowed. Ditto on the punishment

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Hi Pepi,
With the 2016 season, I believe there is a much higher percentage of foilers in the world. I haven't done a count, but it feels like %60 or more of the kiters launching at the E Site are now foilers?
With the difficulties of schlepping the more cumbersome equipment out onto the sandbar, then walking up-wind to find the proper depth... my new season parking pass looks more and more like a waste.
Is it reasonable to broach the Kiters Launch & Land E Site subject again with the Port and CGWA?
Thank You,
Kip

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostTue May 24, 16 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Why do we need to split the ES grass between windsurfers and kiteboarders? A safety issue? There were about 50 kiters and 6 windsurfers there on Sunday. The west end was barely used.
A better solution would be to allow kiters the entire lawn splitting it in half for launching (west end) and landing (east end) and keep the windsurfers at the west end... you know, for safety concerns Wink

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 16 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Windsurfing foilers get to launch from the grass. Just saying. Cool

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 24, 16 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

I'm walking down to the beach, launching in the same area, walking out 10-15' with my kite, body dragging a bit and then heading out perfectly fine with my foils.

I've made a choice to ride something that poses additional challenges and risks when riding, launching and landing.
I have no expectation that an entire community of recreational users should move out of my way and give me there space just because they are not using it at the time.

This is a specific safety and user agreement guideline.
If you wish to make dramatic change in the policies, then begin attending CGKA or Port of Hood River commission(or waterfront rec committee meetings) in the winter and off season to put in your time as an advocate promoting safe and maintainable accessibility.

The pie can only be sliced so many times.

If you want to risk our accessibility at this location, then by all means go ahead and do what you want.
We already had this happen on MT Hood and now we have no more snowkiting up there now.

We are a fringe sport and need to know how to act and play well with others.

www.Purestokesports.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 16 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
I'm walking down to the beach, launching in the same area, walking out 10-15' with my kite, body dragging a bit and then heading out perfectly fine with my foils.

I've made a choice to ride something that poses additional challenges and risks when riding, launching and landing.
I have no expectation that an entire community of recreational users should move out of my way and give me there space just because they are not using it at the time.

This is a specific safety and user agreement guideline.
If you wish to make dramatic change in the policies, then begin attending CGKA or Port of Hood River commission(or waterfront rec committee meetings) in the winter and off season to put in your time as an advocate promoting safe and maintainable accessibility.

The pie can only be sliced so many times.

If you want to risk our accessibility at this location, then by all means go ahead and do what you want.
We already had this happen on MT Hood and now we have no more snowkiting up there now.

We are a fringe sport and need to know how to act and play well with others.

Thanks for all your hard work and advocacy Pepi.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Did not intend to stir any pot. Just wondered if gentle transitions could be in the wind.
For me in Tacoma it would be a 9 hour investment to commute and attend any Port or CGKA business meetings.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue May 24, 16 8:37 pm    Re: Kite rigging/launching Plz stay on our side@Event Site Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
...we get one half of the Event Site to manage our own rigging, launching and landing with no hassles and no restrictions other than the ones we have imposed on ourselves for safety.

Do kiters now have access to 1/2 of the Event Site grass or is it still more like 1/4?
Are we supposed to stay East of the signage or just East of the bathrooms?

essign.png 

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 16 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

I was down there today and it seems like our launching/landing area has shrunk. Who did the painting of the launch/land area?

We're not a fringe sport in Hood River, we're about as mainstream as skiing and mtn biking, IMO. It would be nice if local policies reflected that.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue May 24, 16 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

July 4th week in the middle of summer and the windsurfer area is basically empty for two seasons now. I understand the history but its somewhat comical to see how it has played out. The Event site windsurfing rigging area has turned into an empty memorial.

Makani

Since 19 Aug 2014
15 Posts

PostTue May 24, 16 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

we could mount a wind sensor on the memorial. Very Happy

inmemoryofwindsurfing.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: