Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rally 14 disappointing low end help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
vtkiter

Since 13 Nov 2012
23 Posts
vermont

PostMon May 23, 16 7:06 am    Rally 14 disappointing low end help Reply with quote

Been using the middle knots for both lines and find the low end to be very disappointing. (It's a 2011 but brand new) Wondering what knot configuration may bring me more low end joy.
Only saving grace is the kite does turn quickly so it can be worked but that's not what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any advice.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon May 23, 16 7:14 am     Reply with quote

put the front lines on the last knot to lengthen the lines & open up the front of the kite.

put the rear lines on the middle or tightest knot. If you can't make a 14m Rally work with those settings, there isn't enough wind to kite.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon May 23, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Longer lines if you're not already running the stock 23x27m bar/line combo for the 14M.

vtkiter

Since 13 Nov 2012
23 Posts
vermont

PostMon May 23, 16 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Stock issue 27" lines
Shiver, I'll give your knot suggestions a go next time out
Thanks guys

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 23, 16 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Check your inflation pressure too. My 14m Rallys--a 2011 and a 2012--perform much better at 9 psi than at 7, especially in light wind. Big kites need pressure to maintain their shape. In light wind without enough pressure the tips tend to pull in which kills lift. That's been my experience anyways... Also, check your bar tune. If your front lines have stretched you could be loading the kite too heavily. If your rear lines have stretched you can't load the kite enough. If you don't know how to do this, search under my handle for a thread on tuning your bar/lines.

vtkiter

Since 13 Nov 2012
23 Posts
vermont

PostMon May 23, 16 10:15 am     Reply with quote

You bring up 2 of the issues that are causing my angst.
1. I pump her up HARD. I know ow poorly a large Rally can respond if under inflated.
2 The bar is new, but I still checked it for tune and it's dead on.

I find at 15 knots the kite just doesn't have the grunt to pull me up in one dive which my 14 Switchblade always did. I'm hoping varying the knot connections will reap some benefits.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate it!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 23, 16 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I have that kite myself. What's your weight and board that you're using? That kite should easily yank you out of the water at 15knots...at average weight

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon May 23, 16 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
I have that kite myself. What's your weight and board that you're using? That kite should easily yank you out of the water at 15knots...at average weight

Exactly. I'm 200 lbs and at 15 knots my 14 Rally will boost me 5 ft just by sheeting in with the kite parked.

VT, if your pumped tight with exact line lengths and you cannot get up on plane after sending it I doubt a 1 knot adjustment is going to help. Check your bridle attachments and measure all lengths for consistency. A previous owner of an old Rally I had intermixed the bridle lines during a repair and it tweaked the tuning. (I suspect why he sold it) It drove me nuts as I could not get it to fly clean until SS sent me a bridle spec diagram and I figured out lines were mismatched/intermixed. Good luck.

vtkiter

Since 13 Nov 2012
23 Posts
vermont

PostMon May 23, 16 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

195# and a Spleene Session for LW tt.
I will copiously go through the bridles and verify the bar is properly "tuned"
I've flown several different 14's and just haven't felt the love with this one. Where it actually shines is in the mid 20's where it feels spot on. Not really why I have a 14.
Thanks for all the different input.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon May 23, 16 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

mid 20's on a 14m at 195lb that doesn't sound correct Wink
I'm 190lb and I switch to 9m at about 18mph. My 2014 12m Rally (more like older 14m) gets me going in about 12mph. Below that it can still pull but going upwind is only possible with the right current and there's no relaunching if you drop it - relaunch at low 10's is where dedicated light wind kites really stand out from the regular freeride kites.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon May 23, 16 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like something's off. I use all middle settings for my 2012 14m Rally and can get going quite easily on a 41 X 136 board with a bit of rocker in 12mph (at sea level - it takes more like 15 at 7,000 ft to stay upwind without working it). I'm 180 lbs. I'm not sure what low end would be on my big, square, flat Spleene session, but I'm guessing steady 10mph would do it (again, at sea level). The 2012 14m is still tied with the 10m Wave for my favorite kite. I will be very sad when it finally dies, so your experience sounds very different from mine.

Not sure what they changed from 2011 to 2012, but I had a 2011 10m Rally and I didn't really like it. Could just be my kookitude talking but it seemed super squirrelly and not nearly enough grunt. Could it be the year?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 23, 16 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

The year isn't an issue. I have 14m rally's in both years and the difference is pretty minor. In the mid 20s you should be hanging on for dear life... I outweigh you by 20 pounds and I'm on a 10m in the mid 20s.

vtkiter

Since 13 Nov 2012
23 Posts
vermont

PostWed May 25, 16 11:58 am     Reply with quote

got to try out the knot setting suggestions last night and this morning. Front lines last knot/rear lines closest to kite knot.
Definitely increased turning speed and low end pull, but still didn't make it a beast. Wind was in the high teens to lower 20's both times and top end still wasn't an issue but she pulled nicely on the first dive which hadn't been happening. Thanks for the suggestions!

top image last night 5-7:30
bottom image today 9-11:30

5-7:30
 5-7:30  5-24.gif 
9-11:30
 9-11:30  5-25.gif 

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu May 26, 16 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Ahh, I loved the 14M that year. Are you flying it on the 23" x 27M bar? Try that. It's what came with it.

I always square rigged it and had plenty of juice. Also attached to the tipmost connections. Knots won't unleash any significant untapped power. So, assuming your kite and lines are in good shape, at 195#, you may be a Turbine guy. Wink

The 2011/2012 Rallys are smaller than the current generation. The 14M you have is the exact same size as the current 12M. Only mentioning as the 14M from 2013 and above will also give you a good bit more low end then what you have now. But it's slow, if I were looking at at 14M 2013-2016 Rally, I'd get a 15M Turbine instead.

Also, the 2011/2012 Rally had very light bar pressure. So, you have to get used to it. It would feel like there wasn't enough power, but it was there. I really liked the feel of that year.

As others said, pump it hard. You will get some wingtip flutter in that year when you load up the kite and bring it through the power zone with your full weight into it. Still flies good, but you'll hear the flutter.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
483 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostThu May 26, 16 8:52 am     Reply with quote

"Rally 14 disappointing"

yeah... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: