Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

beginner foiling
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 14, 16 10:54 am    beginner foiling Reply with quote

kiting at Stevenson and being the only non foiler some days has peaked my interest. as a potential beginner there are too many confusing and expensive options out there to make sense of it. Bellacera, Stringfellow, LF, Slingshot, used patched together stuff, etc. not looking forward to the learning curve, but I can see the benefit being out on the water with the foilers.

suggestions.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat May 14, 16 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

My .002, which is more like .001. I started on the LF Foil Fish, which I have heard is inexpensive, bomber, easy to replace parts on but a bit difficult to learn on as it can be a bit stiff and snaky. On the other hand, although I am no one special, learned to ride it after a couple of sessions. Supposedly LF has the Happy Pill coming out soon, which is supposed to be a little more user friendly than the Foil Fish. The feeling and the upwind of foiling are mind-blowing. The wipeouts can hurt like a MOFO. I almost broke out some of my teeth today on the foil, which is OK because I presently live in Idaho and so I would just fit right in. Take it slow.

SR

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun May 15, 16 7:51 am     Reply with quote

I had only one session on my LF FoilFish with the mast at the standard position but with the new extended fuselage.

The longer fuselage with the standard wings is amazing for straight line riding!!!!!!

Seriously, I always got scared when I hit higher speeds with the standard length fuselage, but with the new longer one (and the rear wing at the furthest back position) I can now go fast. The stability is just perfect now. I guess length does matter.

The downside is that in my first hour session, I felt like I would have to re-learn my touchdown jibes, and backrolls did not work out at all. But again, that is only after 1 hour. Given that I am not anywhere near having more than a 50% success rate on jibes, it seems that this should be a good time to get used to the new feel.

Some say drill 2 more holes to move the mast back on the board, but I think this is no longer needed if you get the longer fuselage with the FoilFish.

For safety (and that dental work costs 10 times what a good used kite will set you back) I purchased a hockey helmet to wear while foiling. Of most concern is when I am trying to get a foiling jibe down. It set me back $55, but that should pay off the first time I smash the cage in with a wing. I did sew some webbing to the bottom of the cage so the cage does not wear on my life jacket as bad.

And actually, the helmet itself looks like a better water helmet than most water helmets that I have used. Ditch the cage, make a small visor to attach where the cage attached, sew some old wetsuit neoprene over the ear loops, and voilą! - a kite helmet.

0515161055.jpg 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 15, 16 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Another plus is there is definitely no question regarding Right of Way.

Let's face it, if you see a guy coming down hard on you on a foil with a hockey mask you are going to give way.

Another option might the following mask...

Seriously though Matt I always love your ingenuity. Keep the ideas coming.

Jason Voorhees.jpeg 

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 15, 16 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Great idea on the hockey helmet. I am getting one! Then my tag line can be like Big John's, "Mowing the lawn like Bobby Orr".

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 15, 16 10:52 am    New marketing Idea Reply with quote

I think someone should come up with a new kite kit.

Kite mask and kite knife combo.

Kite Foiler.jpg 

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun May 15, 16 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

Phil,

Try out Joe's short masted foil. I rode that thing for about 2 hours my very first time out. The falls weren't too bad and it was a great experience.
Once you get hooked let me know. By then I'll be ready for the next generation of my setup.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 15, 16 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

I'd say to also hit up joe for his "trainer" setup at stevenson.
it works and gets riders introduced to foiling in a pretty quick and safe manner.
this summer I have four short mast setups to loan out to riders interested in foiling.
the problem is they are all out for loan around the country at the moment so waiting to get one or another back to loan them locally. one of the problems I have with loaning them out is they end up being in possession with someone for an extended period and is sometimes hard to get back.
anyhow joe should have his yellow setup for test driving.

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostSun May 15, 16 5:39 pm    Slingshot Silencer is the perfect thing worked for me!! Reply with quote

That's awesome Phil I new you would cave to the foiling idea when I'm blasting past you up wind and your semi slogging. Can't wait to see you learning!!!

hshim

Since 20 Apr 2016
11 Posts
UAE

PostMon May 16, 16 12:39 am     Reply with quote

I think one of the first things you can do to help your progression in foiling is learn to ride a directional surfboard. You should be able to jibe and hopefully tack before progressing onto the foil. My opinion is that you should also get comfortable riding strapless too as I fully believe this is the safest way to foil. I did start out with one strap on my foil but quickly ditched it after a few close calls. Strapless foil riding obviously won't allow you to jump with your board to any great heights but again I think it's safer. Now if racing at top speed is your goal then go ahead and put the straps, helmet and impact vest on.

WRT which foil? There's a lot out there now. It'll depend on your budget. From the one's I've tried (Alpinefoil carbon and aluminium, F one, Zeeko and MHL. For my riding which is freestyle I like the MHL the best. It's a little expensive but the construction is bomber. I don't like the floaty boards so I mounted on Boardriding Maui's Paipo (Shinn also has a copy of this called the Shinnster). Having a board which you can sink the rail when starting makes it super easy to start without footstraps. The next one that I would choose for freestyle type riding is the Alpinefoil 5.0 V2. Beautiful construction and it floats along in really slow speeds. It's much smoother than any foil I've tried but if you reach the low end of the speed range it can drop down a little abruptly compared to say the MHL. The advantage of the alpine foil is that it packs pretty flat for travel and the bag they make for travelling with it is very nice. Hope that gives you some more info!

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon May 16, 16 6:39 am    Re: New marketing Idea Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
I think someone should come up with a new kite kit.

Kite mask and kite knife combo.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 18, 16 5:32 am     Reply with quote

Asking for comments on this:
Have any of you adopted a "spinal memory" of avoiding looking back towards your board immediately post crash?

Tuesday at the E Site having a wonderful time when I crashed once and looked back at my still racing board. It's got a mind of it's own and crashed into my nose. Bled for 1/2 hour but did not stop my fun. I'm thinking if the hit was an inch higher it would've broke a bone. Swelled up and ugly now.
Please do not suggest a cage guard as vanity is everything. Still haven't got over the board-shorts, and Go-Joe confusion.

surfncap

Since 06 Mar 2007
77 Posts
NE

PostMon May 23, 16 4:45 am    What foil to buy. Reply with quote

I can't recommend JIM Stringfellows wings enough. Their r also a lot of SLINGSHOT USED Alien boards & even the new ones r on sale.

lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 23, 16 8:26 am     Reply with quote

I appreciated hshim's comment about directional riding. I only ride a directional, with straps. Never use the back one. If tacking and strapless riding are prerequisites for foiling I've got a lot of work to do before getting on a foil.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon May 23, 16 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Phil,

Don't count yourself out. You ride that surfboard plenty well enough to start riding the foil. PM me if you need Joe's number.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 23, 16 11:20 am    Is tacking easier with a foil? Reply with quote

Foiling interests me. I ride a surfboard strapped and strapless, and I can jibe and switch my feet consistently without straps, and sometimes with straps, but I haven't mastered the tack. Is it any easier with a foil since you can point it more up wind than with a surfboard?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon May 23, 16 11:27 am     Reply with quote

I usually don't even switch my stance while using a foil because I can only go downwind while riding in my dominant stance. I imagine as I improve, that will change. So to answer your question, I don't feel that a jibe or a tack in a prerequisite to foiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: