Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First impressions of Boardriding Maui's C5 cloud kites
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hshim

Since 20 Apr 2016
11 Posts
UAE

PostMon May 02, 16 8:59 pm    First impressions of Boardriding Maui's C5 cloud kites Reply with quote

I just received the full quiver of Boardriding Maui's new C5 cloud kites (3.5, 5.5, 8.5 and 13.5) and am seriously stoked. This whole quiver is incredibly small! The 4 clouds take up about as much space as a 12 or 13 m strutted kite. If anyone has rode the previous generation of cloud kites the first thing you'll notice is the improved bridling which makes the bar pressure quite a bit less. Also the the power/depower range from one kite to the other is very consistent. I highly recommend using the Cloud Connection System bar that pairs with the kites as they make the riding experience so much better....at least for foiling. The leading edge of the kites is reduced which has resulted in a lighter, smaller package as well. I'm pretty much a dedicated foil board rider now and from my perspective these kites hit the mark. They turn very quick, relaunch super fast, drift better than any wave kite I've tried and even when the winds pick up they never seem to feel overpowering...especially with the CCS bar. I can't comment on jumping ability or how they'd fair on a twin tip (I only ride strapless now), I do think they'd be a great wave surfing kite and I can't wait to try them in this realm when I finally make it to a wave spot! If you've never rode a strutless kite before it takes a short while to get use to the different feel of the kites but once you try them you'll likely not want to go back! I started with the first generation cloud kites and I seriously liked them. Its early days, but this generation of clouds I LOVE! (only ridden the 8.5 and 13.5 so far...)

The 8.5 has as much pull as the first generation 10 m cloud but feels way better in the air and obviously turns much quicker as it's smaller but probably also due to the changes that Greg has made to the bridling and overall design. A few years ago I had the 17 m C1 for very light winds and although it was a faster turning kite than any of it's strutted brethren, I never really fell in love with it as it was still too slow for my tastes and I realise I just prefer smaller kites. The new 13.5 is my new light wind kite which sounds funny but again I'm a foil board rider. It's still turns fast and has a very broad wind range. I rode it comfortably from about 7 knots up to around 14-15 knots on my foil. Really sweet.

I rarely if ever write reviews on products but I think Greg has really nailed it with the design and packaging of these new cloud kites.

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 4:20 am     Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Clouds newest iteration. I had a quiver of C2's and like every kite there's good & bad in the strutless design. I'm a marginally ok kiter. First - I'd say they are not a beginner or intermediates kite. For really skilled wave riders & foilers they are probably a great option. They are not really a kite for gusty, punchy conditions. In seabreeze steady blow dryer winds they are great. If the new version has lighter bar pressure that's a big improvement especially in the bigger sizes. I never did get to try the CCS bar setup(I used a SS bar w/mine) so maybe that would have made some difference in my experience with them, but to me a kite with struts is really beneficial to marginal skillsets. I will say that if you try them & don't like them they are the easiest kites ever to resell. 1 Thing for sure is that Greg is super involved and passionate about his product & will answer any and every question you could throw at him. He also stands behind his kites 10000%

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 6:09 am     Reply with quote

You have to get used to the very short bar throw required to trim the kite properly. It's not hard though. One of the main goals, in the beginning, when designing these kites was to make a kite that would be easy to learn on in the very gusty conditions they have on Maui. I wouldn't say you need to be a skilled kiter in steady wind to use them.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 03, 16 6:15 am    Re: First impressions of Boardriding Maui's C5 cloud kites Reply with quote

hshim wrote:
I rode it comfortably from about 7 knots up to around 14-15 knots on my foil. .

Great revue from someone who apparently has identical goals as my own. My 2015 year was %60 Foil, %35 Strapless, %5 TT. I am increasingly finding a large population of kiters who have stored their TT in the garage. San Francisco, Crissy Field, Sherman Island comes to mind.

About the above quote: I have the 2015 12M Trip (strutless). A simply wonderful light wind kite that has replaced all my previous 15's a 16's. During my winter in Mexico I would be on a beach, kite in the sky, foil-ready to punch through some frightful shore break. Winds reported at 12mph, a dozen or so whitecaps. My Trip would sit up there and then start to gently fall from the sky if I did not apply sine input. Grrrr. Many days I would turn back and quit since power-strokes plus foil-board-body dragging through shore pound is too much multi-task for me.
I look forward to test riding a 13.5 and seeing just exactly how light it will float up there without instructions from the bar.
Of course... once foil boarders are clear of the shore pound almost no kite power is needed.
Game Changer!

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 6:45 am     Reply with quote

The Trip's are definitely heavier with a much bigger leading edge and the batton's. The Cloud's continue to fly in very light wind.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 03, 16 7:43 am     Reply with quote

hey I just started riding the C5 kites the past week. I've got a couple of sessions on the 5.5 cloud. I know part of it is foiling, but impressive to ride a 5.5m kite when other are making a 12m kite and TT stay upwind. stability is no issues, I know there are some that are skeptical of a no strut design working in the gorge. I know because I was until I started riding them. Yeah these kites are fine in gusty winds. you guys have seen me out there at the event site. Anyhow the kites are small and light weight, but pack a lot of kite. I got a 5.5 and 8.5 last week. they arrived in a 8x12x12 box that weighed 9 pounds. that's with the kite bags too. super light kite.
I think I'll be looking into getting a 3.5m version soon. When I foil the event site, I like to take a quick trip up to the hatchery and ride the swell. once you're on the swell, I'm stoked to ride and let the kite drift. pretty amazing experience to glide with the swell and watch the kite just fly off the front lines waiting for input. can't wait for the next time I'm out there!

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostTue May 03, 16 9:41 am     Reply with quote

I was excited to read Greg's blog posts about the development of the new C.5

He does seem to be very foil needs focused ( which I'm not ) and I found
his new pricing model to be very off-putting ........

I think he is missing a large opportunity to reach people who
aren't in the market for a new quiver....or who foil........

It appears the wait for a simple, rangy, well priced travel kite continues

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 10:31 am     Reply with quote

I agree with you TommyK, but with the new kites coming out there are plenty of C2's for sale and they are awesome all around kites.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue May 03, 16 3:27 pm    CCS Reply with quote

So all you guys that own Gregs CCS system. Do you use it?

If yes, how do you like it and what are the potential pit falls?

If no, why not?

looking for an unbiased review/feedback/reality check on its use.

cheers,

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

His bar system works great but you have the possibility of releasing the whole thing accidentally, I've done it, so I went back to using a conventional leash.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 03, 16 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

An accidental release of your kite was also my concern after looking at his video. Can you use a leash on the CSS system? Or if you use a leash, do you need a conventional bar?

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

His system isn't set up to use a leash. You might be able to figure out a way. I make my own set up with the same release as his but just one that flags out to a leash.

hnltopdx

Since 15 Oct 2015
7 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostTue May 03, 16 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

I have a couple questions for this crew of cloud-experienced kiters:
There are still 17m C2 clouds available. Is this a decent low-wind kite for TT riding? If I am normally riding cabrinha SBs, will this kite totally throw me off (I would be switching back and forth)? Finally, can it be used with a cabrinha bar?
Thank you!

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

These kites require much less bar throw to achieve the same de power as a more conventional kite. So sheeting out 6-8 inches while flying the Cloud will get you what 12+ inches of throw does with your Cabrihna. Sheeting out too much is when these kites flutter, this doesn't need to happen though. This takes getting used to. I go between a cloud and conventional kite but it's up to you whether you want to fly two very different kites. Yes the 17m is an awesome really light wind kite on any board.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

And, any 4 equal length line bar works fine but you need to make sure the lines at equal when sheeted all the way in. That may require some adjustment on your bar.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 03, 16 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

hnltopdx wrote:
There are still 17m C2 clouds available?

I test drove a 17M C1 for a season. I'd say as long as the wind was in it's sweet spot it was OK. Turned pretty good, pretty boosty, etc. But it had no range and when the wind picked up it was awful. My hope was that the strutless design would be the ticket for a big light wind kite but it wasn't the case. It wasn't any easier to pack down either. I tested a 13M cloud in stronger wind with the same results.

I went back to the Ozone Zephyr and before you buy a light wind kite I suggest trying it.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 03, 16 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

That's what the C2 was for, to addresse those problems. The C2's have better range and a little less on off then the C1's. But you will get over powered on the 17m when the wind starts coming up, they're big kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: