Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Compstick 23" vs 20"
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed May 04, 16 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Can't say I ever use the stopper ball - probably cause we kite in gusty/holey spots and if it's fan like I'm so stoked don't seem to notice the effort
Money.

Voy, I feel your pain man. I run Guardian 20" bars with different line lengths to speed up my light wind Rally because, like you, it was hammering my right ulnar nerve to the point I couldn't hardly pick up a beer post session and that is a DEFINITE deal breaker. Smile I also would move my hands out to compensate but that felt totally "out of sync" for my taste. Shorter lines help, and can be fun as the Rally holds you in the air forever but then you need to justify just what size you're putting up in the air for the effort etc because bar pressure is still in play. What solved my nerve issue is I switched to SST's where input is minimal and output is massive. There are conditions when I still dig my big Rally but I realized I can't be flying it everyday. Big John's tip on how to depower/adjust below the bar is spot on if you go with the Guardian option. The Sentinal bar is nice but not justifiable for me personally as it's something I typically set and forget. Good luck with the therapy.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed May 04, 16 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Voy, I feel your pain man. I run Guardian 20" bars with different line lengths to speed up my light wind Rally because, like you, it was hammering my right ulnar nerve to the point I couldn't hardly pick up a beer post session and that is a DEFINITE deal breaker. Smile

Yes - exact same feeling. I'll see how this season will go with the additional therapy and training and if it won't improve I'll probably replace the big Rally with something else for light wind that will have less bar pressure.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 04, 16 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

The stopper ball is essential in several situations. I use it regularly when I am forced to operate the bar with one hand while rescuing a board, kite, or person.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed May 04, 16 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks A.K.! I was wondering where I would ever use a stopper ball. Now I just have to try it a few times.

Here is my idea for more leverage over the lines while still having a longer bar that can give you the turning input that I crave. And no, I do not have any problems turning the kite so this idea is not for me.

Kite Bar Tennis Elbow.png 

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostSat May 07, 16 6:31 pm    Re: Compstick 23" vs 20" Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a wider bar for my 2014 12m Rally. But before I pull the trigger on the purchase I was wondering what's your experience with the wider bar (and longer lines). The 2014 Rally is not the fastest kite (especially at 12m+) and I'm afraid that with additional 4m of lines it would get even slower (and pull harder) and I'll end up riding it with the old 20" bar anyway. Anyone have any feedback on the topic?

There's a lot of info already in this thread, but just wanted to let you know that I always fly my 12M Rally on the 23" x 27M bar. Flies great. Doing that, I can have this easily as my biggest/lightwind kite.

The 23" increases the turning a bit and the 27M gives you a little more low end.
You probably already have a 20" bar somewhere in your quiver you can use if you ever need it as a backup. For instance, when I travel I just bring one 20" bar for all my kites (and I notice that my 12 is slower for it).

Just get the stock 23" bar, don't give it any more thought. It flies great. No need to shorten lines, the kite still has great depower.

Mr.Nacho

Since 16 Jul 2011
102 Posts
TheHood
Stoked

PostMon May 23, 16 6:29 am     Reply with quote

I use 20" x 20m on all my 2016 Rally's 10M and under, love it....

SS should offer this as the stock option....

Faster turning, better response time....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: