Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lightwind Twin Tip Recommendations
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 27, 16 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

kochease wrote:
Hard to ride it when things get bumpy...

Any chop and the Glide is a pain to ride, no fun.

I wouldn't say hard to ride once you've gotten used to it, but yes, no fun in chop. I guess when I'm riding it it's pretty much butter anyways due to the light wind. If there's enough wind to create chop, I'm on a mako. The Glide is at it's best in the lighter winds. Finless, it's a ton of fun in inch deep water! Very Happy

The problem with the litewave is the length--it's not going to fit in most golf bags. That's a big deal if you ever plan on traveling with it.

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Apr 28, 16 8:44 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
most people into light wind kiting swear by this Twin tip...

I thought they called that a spreader bar.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 28, 16 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

If you want the most fun to ride LW TT get a Shinn King Gee, if you want the lightest wind board try an A-Boards Glider 164x50.

The Slingshot Glide is too narrow for LW for my tastes.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 28, 16 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

I have a friend that made the "great white" for light wind.
It's a 2x4 piece of starboard plastic with the corners trimmed off - kind of an octagon.
Not high performance but works when little else will....

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Apr 28, 16 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

bwd wrote:
I have a friend that made the "great white" for light wind.
It's a 2x4 piece of starboard plastic with the corners trimmed off - kind of an octagon.
Not high performance but works when little else will....

The kiting equivalent to sticking kitchen utensils up your ass.

just learn to ride a skim board. Jesus people, it isn't that hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Apr 29, 16 6:02 am     Reply with quote

Fins! Fins! Fins! I did the skimboard thing for a while after I got some real time on a directional. The reason for trying skimboards was that my directionals were not impressing me with upwind performance on short runs in gusty Midwest winds.

I should have known better! A foil shaped fin IS the most efficient way to get up wind in a sailing situation. I would love to hear a logical or even experience argument against it. Yes, individual results may vary, but the physics of it cannot be changed. If they ever are, there will be a huge employment opportunity in the aircraft industry changing out wings to the new invention. Foils (fin, not hydrofoil) deliver the most efficient counter force to a sails pull, without drastically increasing drag. Low drag + high force = high speed = fast upwind.

A skimboard is a great light wind tool. But it will never be the best tool for light wind. Now I only use my 2 skims to actually skimboard not skimboard with a kite. Risky on the ankles, but it feel like it takes more skill and physical effort to skim (flat or waves) than it does to kite.

My skims are:
LF "Twin-Skim) - for sale this summer
Slotstik "XXL Provac S-glass" - keeping it unless I get 75% of a new one's price

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 29, 16 6:09 am     Reply with quote

octagonal skim = best skim
But I'll stick with my surfboard...
Lock up silver if monkey in kitchen!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Apr 29, 16 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
. . . If they ever are, there will be a huge employment opportunity in the aircraft industry changing out wings to the new invention. Foils (fin, not hydrofoil) deliver the most efficient counter force to a sails pull, without drastically increasing drag. Low drag + high force = high speed = fast upwind. . . .

1.75 Muscato/ED induced. Razz

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 29, 16 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Fins! Fins! Fins!... A foil shaped fin IS the most efficient way to get up wind in a sailing situation. I would love to hear a logical or even experience argument against it. ...

No physics, but experience. Short of the race boards or a foil, I've been able to go upwind on a finless glide as well as anyone I've ridden with or near on a directional. Given, of course, light wind with little chop. Downwind is a different story... Regarding foils, nothing else seems to be even a little bit close going upwind.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Apr 30, 16 6:21 am     Reply with quote

As sassy has warned, a 1.75l of Muscato can induce "Explosive Diarrhea". But I do not know how he found out about that. I actually built up an immunity to that a few years before I met him. Thus I find it odd that particular story made it out to Oregon from Nebraska already. Must be that new "face book" thing.

Surfboards can suck in light wind. My 2012 5'-8" North "Whip" proved that to me. Slingshot "Coupe was a bit better. LF Kitefish Quad Mod was slightly better there too. The best board for upwind I have ever owned was a Cabrinha "Plasma" twin-tip.

On the "Plasma", you would scream upwind on even short tacks so long as you had 45mm fins on it. Put 35mm fins on it, and it was not much better than most smaller twins. No fins (when you break them off in shallow water) and you did not go upwind as well as a bad directional.

Technique is important too. Coming from a background of slalom and bigger windsurf gear (6.5-10.6m sails), I already knew how to "load" a fin. And not just load, but "side load" it for the most push upwind. This applies to any finned kiteboard too, once you reach a speed that the foil of the fin dominates the upwind push over the edge of the board. To me, this seems to be where apparent wind just starts to become a factor.

Again, I loved twins back in the day. I hate the lie that directionals go upwind better than twins. I know for sure that fins on a twin, directional, skim, or anything, will add to their upwind capabilities.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 30, 16 7:28 am    light wind Reply with quote

http://www.litewavedesigns.com/products/kiteboards/wing-light-wind.html great choice!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 30, 16 7:32 am    155 carbon litewave wing and travle bag; Reply with quote

Just rent a surfboard when you get to where you are going;

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 30, 16 11:49 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
I know for sure that fins on a twin, directional, skim, or anything, will add to their upwind capabilities.

Agreed, under most conditions. However, in light wind--sub 9 knots-- the extra drag of the fins on a Glide reduce it's upwind capability. I have 3 glides (Yep, 3 glides. Very Happy One at home, one in Hawaii, one stays in the boat.) and have ridden them back to back comparing finless to multiple fin configurations. In light winds there is a very marked improvement going upwind without the fins. Too bad the old Hein fins aren't available. (They were razor thin.)

The Glide is more fun without the fins too. Except, it's easier to load and pop with the fins. The Lunacy is a kick in the ass finless as well, but upwind definitely suffers--especially in chop.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Apr 30, 16 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hard for me to wrap my mind around the concept of "fin drag" at less than 30knots of board speed. These thick Slingshot "Canted Side Surf Fins" that I use on my Kitefishes are about 1/2" thick at the base. At 28 knots is where I perceive the drag to kick in. Seems like I can't break through the 33knot speed barrier (my gps record) with them.

But a twin-tip fin? I trust Nak in his assessment more so than my hypothesis with near zero test data. But it's still hard for me to grasp. I definitely will be looking at my riding feel/perception with a new focus on fin drag.

Assuming I am right - that fin drag at sub 15knot speeds is negligible and possibly imperceptible, maybe the problem is actually with the fin AOA in relation to "engaged board edge" AOA.

Given that a fin has an ideal AOA, and that an "engaged board edge" has (may have?) an ideal AOA, could those two factors be fighting each other? Is this fight the very thing that is being perceived as "fin drag"? Presumably, these two components could be set at an angle that would induce some significant drag as the two fight each other for dominance over the direction the board is trying to travlel. (A bit of my current research into quad vs tri is creeping into this line of thought, so forgive me.)

Does a TT board edge have an ideal AOA? I have lost my TT skills (and equipment) so I have no way to test that idea. Anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: