Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lightwind Twin Tip Recommendations
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostTue Apr 26, 16 4:26 pm    Lightwind Twin Tip Recommendations Reply with quote

Are there any riders who have a lightwind TT? I'm 185#s and my 138 Naish Dub is a lot of fun when the wind is cranking but it's a dog by design for light wind. Haven't gotten my directional skills down yet and have contemplated getting a lightwind TT.

Any suggestions besides a foil? Shocked

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Apr 26, 16 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

Something like this should do the trick:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feather-River-Doors-37-5-in-x-81-625-in-Preston-Zinc-Craftsman-Unfinished-Smooth-Fiberglass-Prehung-Front-Door-A42105/100619472

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 26, 16 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

There are tons of options for light wind boards but your first step maybe to get a big light wind specialized kite. At 185 I would be with 17+m

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Apr 26, 16 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

most people into light wind kiting swear by this Twin tip...

35-2-640x640.jpg 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 26, 16 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Laughing

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Apr 27, 16 5:13 am     Reply with quote

I just spewed coffee on my laptop.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Apr 27, 16 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Previous replies to the question posted are indeed funny, but I'll try to answer the question without humor....

I ride Slingshot and have ridden all these boards -

Slinghot Glide - a popular lightwind TT with a "non conventional" shape and fun to mess around with on the water without straps as well:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Glide#.VyDWCDArKUk

Riding a Glide strapless in flat water is a good way to practice balance on the board and may help you with your directional progression.

Or, look at getting a larger "more conventional" shaped TT that does not have a lot of rocker, like a 146cm Misfit or Crisis. Either of those TT's shape and size would be better for light wind compared to your current TT.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Misfit#.VyDXuzArKUk

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Crisis#.VyDbJzArKUk

There are many options, just look at getting a larger board with not a lot rocker.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 27, 16 8:03 am    I'll second the glide Reply with quote

The glide says "more days". it's true. If I'm in doubt whether or not there will be enough wind later on I'll take the glide. It turns a super light wind session into a fun I got out there and rode rather than I got out there and struggled.
When the wind picks up you can hold an edge for a while. But, at a certain point it'll break loose and you'll end up in a snowboard type plow.
The glide is not a downwinder board in chop or swell. It's flattish contour tends to cut into large swell in the river however it surfs ocean waves and swell.
I haven't tried any other light wind boards but compared to a standard twin it's a nice way to enjoy the day.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Apr 27, 16 8:44 am     Reply with quote

thank you for your humorless respouse.

however, some of us are actually trying to help. I forgot to mention that in addition to the "gentrifier" edition shown above, which is specifically deisgned for the sand bar, they also produce one to take advantage of rooster rock easterly sessions. it's slightly thicker, longer, and only comes in black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 27, 16 9:22 am     Reply with quote

patdaniels wrote:

Riding a Glide strapless in flat water is a good way to practice balance on the board and may help you with your directional progression.

. . .

Yes, "may" is the key word here. If one is going to ride strapless, then get a surfboard or a skim board; pass on the strapless Guide. Those will help your directional skills much more than riding a TT strapless.

A skim board is a great light wind tool to have in the toy chest, and can be ridden in very shallow water as they have no fins to damage. Especially useful when riding Fall Rooster sessions when the river level is way down and there are lots and lots of tide pools/shallows.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Apr 27, 16 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Apr 27, 16 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Yes, "may" is the key word here. If one is going to ride strapless, then get a surfboard or a skim board; pass on the strapless Guide. Those will help your direction skills much more than riding a TT strapless.

. . .

Riding a Glide strapless was mentioned as a SIDE benefit to that board, unlike most other TT's. The idea being to ride it with straps in light wind mostly, but play around on it strapless as well to help develop better balance on a board.

I thought he was looking for suggestions on light wind TT's.....but I agree a skim board is also a fun option for light wind, as well as, using a surfboard to extend range beyond smaller TT with same kite.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 27, 16 10:13 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
. . . in addition to the "gentrifier" edition shown above, which is specifically deisgned for the sand bar,

they also produce one to take advantage of rooster rock easterly sessions. it's slightly thicker, longer, and only comes in black.

The Rooster model PDXMB he is referring to might be called "the BIG JIM."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeA3TL_p0vk

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Apr 27, 16 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostWed Apr 27, 16 10:21 am     Reply with quote

I've tried to envision Dern and MonkeyBoy's recommendations but it just doesn't work for me. He appears to have a lot of ride time on the Gentifier and Cock Rock (aka "The Big Jim) models but I haven't seen anyone else with a similar experience unless Sasquatch is holding out.

MB.jpg 

Last edited by <Wolverine> on Wed Apr 27, 16 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Apr 27, 16 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

only "slightly" stupid.

you sure about that? I mean, look at your avatar, is that a dangle to full knees lock? phucken schaweet dude.

my best advice, stay out of the bushes. Nobody wants to go to the beach for a day of kiting and up at the ER with stitches in their rectum.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 27, 16 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

The Glide is a session saver. Skip the fins for even better light wind capability. Goes as shallow as a skim until you vacuum lock on sand and you're in straps. Shocked Still, a great board and I always carry one. It's a bit weird to ride at first, very easy to pearl. Still, a hell of a lot easier than learning to foil... Once you spend a bit of time on it it's pretty easy to ride and goes upwind amazingly well. Downwind for any distance is harder, your legs will feel the burn. You are always leaning slightly so as not to pearl, more so than on a conventional twin tip.

I like the 149 because it fits--barely--in my NSI Deceiver travel bag. Always the first thing in the bag regardless of where I'm travelling.

I always thought the Glide was at least as good or better than any other possible lightwind choice--until foils came around. A foil is a quantum leap beyond the Glide in lightwind performance.

kochease

Since 03 Jul 2008
760 Posts
In Ft. Stevens, OR
Opinionated

PostWed Apr 27, 16 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

I ditched the Glide board years ago and never looked back!!!! Super Lame to ride like the "Big Jim" from pdxmoneyboy. Hard to ride it when things get bumpy...

Any chop and the Glide is a pain to ride, no fun. I recommend the litewave board wing light. Fun to ride, doesnt feel like I'm riding a door like Dern suggests and handles mulitple riding scenerios.

http://www.litewavedesigns.com/products/kiteboards/wing-light-wind.html

https://www.air-pirate.com

*CALL: 503-791-7372 *

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 27, 16 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about what others say or think... A glide Will obviously score you more water time. If you can find the original year glide as this was the board that set the standard. Once you've spent time on the light wind TT and become bored, then you will be ready for a directional board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: