Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 13, 16 12:54 pm    Maui help Reply with quote

Hi guys,
i've never kited Maui. I have a place to stay but was needing a rental car. was also thinking I'd just rent a directional and bring kites. I'm leaving friday. I have 5,7,9,12 m available and I'll be riding directional board (i'm 5'6'' 160lbs). Im guessing I dont need the 12m?

any suggestions about board and car rental? Was thinking about Budget car rental.

also thinking about taking a wave kiting lesson (although i've not really heard of that before). I "think" i do ok in waves but I probably don't hit them square enough and I'm sure I have a lot of technique to learn. Would help if I could see how I'm doing from a video perspective- but not really had that opportunity before).

any help/tips appreciated.

-ken

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Apr 13, 16 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

just got back....used car rentals: Aloha and Kimo's. they're cheaper, less conspicuous, and usually available. Aloha was previously Al West's, they specialize in windsurfing and kiting rentals, often having vans and wagons, sometimes coolers and chairs. have fun, and respect the island.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 13, 16 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

Forecast is epic for next week - go get some.
Rental car - Frank Saab/Frank's Friendly Cars <info@mauicarrental.biz>.
http://mauicarrentals.net/
He's got clean cars and he drops them off at airport parking - a 200 foot walk from baggage claim.
I've used all the others and Frankie has the best cars.
I get the compat wagons - Mazda 3 or Subaru or Toyota.
I would agree you could leave your 12 at home.

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostWed Apr 13, 16 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Naish Maui Pro Center for board rentals, they have everything twin tips to directionals and are super close to the beach.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 13, 16 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

Blowing 22-40 now at kanaha. Epic day for wind today.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Apr 14, 16 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately I had a vastly different experience with Frank's...I broke down in 3 different cars of his, was roadside waiting twice for him to pick me up and take me back to Kahului for another rental. Got an attitude from him, then was double charged on credit card for gas in one of the broken down cars after I left. They're used cars so breakdowns happen, but the attitude and the gas double charge was not kewl...

It's called Frank's Friendly Cars, and not Friendly Frank's Cars for a reason; but the cars were not too friendly to me...perhaps you'll have better luck!! Rented from Kimo's several times; Aloha at least a dozen, had one breakdown, they delivered another car to me and they credited me a day for the inconvenience...we all have different experiences, but that was mine..

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 14, 16 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far guys! I appreciate it!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 14, 16 7:05 pm    Manaloharentacar.net Reply with quote

Sergio at manaloharentacar.net. He has good prices and you pickup and drop off in the short term parking right across from the baggage claim. I've rented from all the shops but if you're setting up a wave clinic I'd bet they would be cheapest and probably from a van at the beach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: