Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Landing the Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Boost_Ramalak

Since 26 Jan 2016
22 Posts

PostTue Apr 12, 16 2:31 pm    Landing the Air Reply with quote

Hey was wondering if you guys had any tips for landing softer off of jumps. Seems that I am able to get the pop and the hang time right but the higher I go up the harder I feel I slap the water and with all the injuries out there, was hoping for some insight on how there are some out there that seem to come down pillow soft. Either I redirect the kite and it stalls or the kite goes behind me with the pendulum effect.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 12, 16 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

When you jump and send the kite - try not to send it past 12'o clock.
Your flight should be forward and downwind.
When you hit the peak of your jump and feel yourself dropping back to the water do the following:
Aggressively sheet in in by pulling in on the bar and pull down with your front hand directing the kite forward in the window.
If you jump really high (over 15 feet) you may need to sheet in and out a few times as you glide back down.
If you drop straight down, you'll hit hard - that's why you can send the kite forward and glide in horizontal as well as vertical.

https://vimeo.com/103913789

Last edited by ldhr on Tue Apr 12, 16 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boost_Ramalak

Since 26 Jan 2016
22 Posts

PostTue Apr 12, 16 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
As you feel yourself dropping back to the water do the following:
Aggressively sheet in in by pulling in on the bar and pull down with your front hand directing the kite forward in the window.
The key is to be aggressive.

So does that mean when i am up in the air sheeted in that I sheet out on the way down and then sheet in pulling aggressively on the front hand?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 12, 16 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Boost_Ramalak wrote:
ldhr wrote:
As you feel yourself dropping back to the water do the following:
The key is to be aggressive.

So does that mean when i am up in the air sheeted in that I sheet out on the way down and then sheet in pulling aggressively on the front hand?

YES!!

https://vimeo.com/103913789

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 12, 16 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

not all kites have natural hang time. if you are boosting so high that just redirecting the kite from 12 is not giving you a soft landing you may need to work the kite more. Some kites need to be moved back and forth in the window to generate float. generate is probably the wrong word thou.

I miss my LF NRG kites for this very reason. tons of float. tried a north rebel once and it also had a ton of hang time

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 12, 16 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

I could be wrong but if the kite is going behind you then your takeoff needs some improvement. body position could be a factor.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 12, 16 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Boost_Ramalak

What direct is your board when landing?
Can you provide more details of your landing experiences?

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 12, 16 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

It seemed when I would come in to hot I had sent the kite forward too soon. And my old kites Tended to fly quickly to the edge. These days I keep the kite overhead longer, directing it forward softly just before landing.

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostTue Apr 12, 16 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

On really big boosts I push out on the bar about halfway, on the way down, and then pull in aggressively right before I land. That combined with a kite angle of about 10-11 o'clock give really soft landings.
If I boost REALLY BIG and I feel like I'm falling too fast, I pull my kite all the way to the opposite side of the window and use the pendulum motion to swing me out for a really soft landing. This is basically the same idea for a transition jump. You'll end up landing and traveling in the opposite direction, but the bottoms of your feet, knees, and ankles will thank you.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
293 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 12, 16 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

Go faster. When you are coming in for a landing send your kite forward and get more forward momentum. You have to take that energy and speed from going down to going more forward and linear. If you're hauling ass when you land then you're doing it right. The best way to learn is to start riding strapless Wink

Cody

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 13, 16 11:28 am     Reply with quote

This last statement I believe from my perspective is correct, land with speed. Have the board in the correct direction, dive the kite and land with some speed.

Boost_Ramalak

Since 26 Jan 2016
22 Posts

PostWed Apr 13, 16 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet thanks for the piece of mind everyone!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 14, 16 5:50 am     Reply with quote

all good info
you can also do a downloop to transition landing to really soften it,
with the downloop the kite pulls for a longer time so the timing is less critical, start pulling after the apex to ;earn it, then when you get the feel of it you can pull on the way up but that will give you more of a yank!

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostThu Apr 14, 16 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Watch the first jump in this video at about 40 seconds. On big airs I like to let the kite get a little behind me and finish with a redirect of the kite in the direction your landing. I call it checking the kite. Also good way to lead up to a loop landing. Like his 2nd jump in video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SlTWdBWo9M&rdm=1z9zm31rn&client=mv-google

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 14, 16 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

Great old video. To bad it wasn't HD

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Apr 17, 16 7:49 am     Reply with quote

It might not all be your fault either, every kite jumps a little differently and requires different technique and timing to get the most out of them.

The kites I was flying a few years ago gave me this same problem, I just couldn't ever keep them in front of me when I got big air, the only solution was to downloop it before landing, otherwise it would end up slightly behind me with no power and I'd make a hole in the water upon landing.

I haven't had that problem with any kite I've flown since, so I'm not sure if I could have just dialed in the technique more, or if that's just a limitation of that particular kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: